Curt Schilling, Future Hall of Famer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Curt Schilling, Future Hall of Famer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:30 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:LCBOY, You don't think big game victories like game 6 this year and the WS against NYY carry more weight with the HOF voters?

I agree. He's kinda like Rivera IMO. Rivera does have good numbers, but it's the big game post season games that count for me.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:35 pm

Not to mention it helps Schilling in that all important Blood Spilled in Big Games category. Where do you think he's at, maybe a tablespoon? ;-7
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby LCBOY » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:52 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:LCBOY, You don't think big game victories like game 6 this year and the WS against NYY carry more weight with the HOF voters?

EVERYTHING that a player doesin his career carries weight. The question is how MUCH weight does a particular game weight carry? A pitcher is inducted into the HoF because of their accomplishments over a CAREER, not just one season or one game. If fact the voting rules specifically say this! Schilling's game six performace is fresh on everyone's mind right now. But will it be remembered which such reverence in say 8-10 years. Schilling probably has 3-5 more seasons plus he has to wait five years after that. There have been many pitchers that have had clutch perfomances in the post-season. Do you remember John Lackey? He won game seven of the 2002 World Series as a ROOKIE. How unique is that? Well, the last rookie pitcher to do that was Babe Adams in 1909. How about Tom Glavine's game seven performace in the 1995 World Series? Or Jack Morris' 10 inning shutout in game seven of the 1991 World Series? Or Sandy Foufax in 1965?

The HoF voters will look at Schilling's entire career. Of course what he did against the NYY will count in his favor. That's not the issue here. The issue is whether his career, as a whole, is of HoF quality. That is a question not easily answered. Tom Glavine has a much stronger HoF candidacy that Schilling has right now. But that may change. If Schilling can pitch 3-5 more seasons at a dominant level then his HoF candidacy becomes much stronger...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:09 pm

Even if it says in the voting rules, that every game be weighted equally, baseball writers rarely pay attention to these rules. Case in point, AL ROY last year. I like career number wise Schilling is borderline but with his post-season heroics he gets in easily.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby LCBOY » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:20 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Even if it says in the voting rules, that every game be weighted equally, baseball writers rarely pay attention to these rules. Case in point, AL ROY last year. I like career number wise Schilling is borderline but with his post-season heroics he gets in easily.

No, the rules states that a player cannot be elected to the HoF based on one great season or one great game.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:24 pm

LCBOY wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Even if it says in the voting rules, that every game be weighted equally, baseball writers rarely pay attention to these rules. Case in point, AL ROY last year. I like career number wise Schilling is borderline but with his post-season heroics he gets in easily.

No, the rules states that a player cannot be elected to the HoF based on one great season or one great game.

We are debating two different topics here. You are talking about how it is supposed to be and I am talking about how it is.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LCBOY » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:38 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
LCBOY wrote:

We are debating two different topics here. You are talking about how it is supposed to be and I am talking about how it is.

We are? Ok, let me ask a question. Can you name one HoF pitcher that had an ok career but was inducted because he was a great post-season pitcher? I have NEVER heard a HoF voter say, "Yeah, his career was so-so but I voted for him anyway because he was a tremendous post-season pitcher."
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:52 pm

LCBOY wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
LCBOY wrote:

We are? Ok, let me ask a question. Can you name one HoF pitcher that had an ok career but was inducted because he was a great post-season pitcher? I have NEVER heard a HoF voter say, "Yeah, his career was so-so but I voted for him anyway because he was a tremendous post-season pitcher."

Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Strasil42 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:56 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
LCBOY wrote:

Burn
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:09 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
LCBOY wrote:

Burn
Before LCBOY says it I want to note that Waite was elected by the Veterans committee and not the writers. Still by and large voters make up their own voting rules and give more votes to players that came up big in big games.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers