TERRIBLE STORY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TERRIBLE STORY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Strasil42 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:01 pm

JRM4833 wrote:This is a terribly sad case. I see both sides. From what I hear, someone threw a glass bottle, which smashed on the ground. The horse that an officer was riding got startled and started reacting. A police officer who was standing on the ground next to it got too anxious and tried to fire off a couple rounds of pepper spray projectiles. One hit her in the eye. I think she then fell to the ground and hit her head hard on the pavement. It is a huge story in Boston today. I do, however, feel for the police officers who have to put their lives on the line everyday and deal, on this occasion, with all the fans who act like animals (a small majority of fans).

The front page of the Boston Herald is also becoming a huge issue. The front page shows the girl on the ground bleeding from the head. The picture on page 4 is even worse and IMO neither should be published as they were. I haven't been able to find the pictures online if anyone wanted to see them, although I'm not sure anyone wants to see the last moments of this poor girl's life. And I know for a fact her family shouldn't have to deal with it.

Not that it makes a difference, but she was a very pretty woman and very intelligent from what I have seen. It is truly a shame. The few fans who could not control themselves that night should be ashamed of themselves. It really saddens a great day in Boston sports.

hey if you can find that article and pictures online could you post them on here? Id be interested in seeing them.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:03 pm

Go to the Boston Herald's site. Unfortunately, they published some photos.

:,-(
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:05 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Go to the Boston Herald's site. Unfortunately, they published some photos.

:,-(

Good call. If anyone wants to see them, please go there or Google for them. We don't need that stuff here. :-/
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:01 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
JRM4833 wrote:This certainly is not typical of Redsox fan.

A Cardinal hits a homerun in someplace like Wrigley, and they throw the ball back and every cheers. Same thing and same chance of injury but 1 is frowned upon. :-/
Sorry Lofunzo, but you are dead wrong on this one. Wrigley, the players know that it will happen. Its been going on for 60 years. Its a tradition that the players know about, and they know the ball is coming. Its hardly the same thing when a foul ball gets thrown in the direction of Johnny Damon while he is trying to bat. The pellet gun is basically a paintball gun, but it fires a ball filled with mace. This was a total freak accident. This method is certainly safer than the police moving in with shields and clubs and beating the hell out of people. What else do you want them to do? Let them riot? I want to hear what you think, if these mace balls are too harsh. Should the police politely ask them to disperse, then leave?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:28 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
JRM4833 wrote:This certainly is not typical of Redsox fan.

A Cardinal hits a homerun in someplace like Wrigley, and they throw the ball back and every cheers. Same thing and same chance of injury but 1 is frowned upon. :-/
Sorry Lofunzo, but you are dead wrong on this one. Wrigley, the players know that it will happen. Its been going on for 60 years. Its a tradition that the players know about, and they know the ball is coming. Its hardly the same thing when a foul ball gets thrown in the direction of Johnny Damon while he is trying to bat. The pellet gun is basically a paintball gun, but it fires a ball filled with mace. This was a total freak accident. This method is certainly safer than the police moving in with shields and clubs and beating the hell out of people. What else do you want them to do? Let them riot? I want to hear what you think, if these mace balls are too harsh. Should the police politely ask them to disperse, then leave?

Foul ball thrown at Damon?? I must have missed that 1. What I mean is that if it is dangerous to throw balls on the field, then it should be disallowed everywhere. You can't pick and choose when to throw an object back. I have seen many balls thrown back at Wrigley where the fielder is a bit surprised to see the ball coming over his head. Just because it's a tradition doesn't make it right. Times have changed.

My main problem in the instance of the riots is the fans who act like idiots. In what culture is it acceptable to celebrate an enormous victory by flipping cars, lighting fires, and throwing things?? These people are idiots. That said, I don't see any reason why they should have blindly shot a mace-filled paintball into a crowd. What should they do?? How about control the situation before it gets crazy. They had to know that something would happen. I seriously doubt that all of these people arrived at once. By the time that this girl was hit, things were too out of control. This should have been handled well in advance.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:44 pm

its a sad thing for sure.
deluxe_247
Chief Pixel Pusher
Chief Pixel Pusher

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk