TERRIBLE STORY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TERRIBLE STORY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kentx12 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:59 am

Rico The Retard wrote:very sad story

I hope they will release more info on this. I would like to know exactly the young man was hit with... It is a shame that fans act like that but is it necessary for police to have to use force like that to break it up?
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cafe_58 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:20 pm

I read about this..... this is so ridiculous. Whether these weapons were meant to be "non-lethal" or not, I wonder why their being used. Obviously after this, they're not going to use them. However, I don't even know why they would use them before hand. Firing things at a crowd, you'll never know who it hits, where. Reminds me of that NFL case where the ref threw a flag into a lineman's eye and he almost got blinded for it. I've never seen these weapons, but I bet they fire out pretty quickly, and if it hits the right place, like in this situation, it can be fatal.

Anyways, my heart goes out to the family and friends of Victoria. I can't even imagine how the family feels.
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:53 pm

Celebrate, don't riot. How hard is that?

I don't blame her, but I blame the rest of the partiers over the cops.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:56 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Celebrate, don't riot. How hard is that?

I agree and could almost understand it better if the game was in Boston. Shouldn't the fans be happy that they won?? I don't see how flipping cars and starting fires is something to do when you're happy. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby cafe_58 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:05 pm

I agree that they shouldn't of been rioting, but the police shouldn't of even used those weapons. Things being fired at you that are meant to splatter mace-like substance sounds a little too extreme IMO.
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby JRM4833 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:10 pm

This is a terribly sad case. I see both sides. From what I hear, someone threw a glass bottle, which smashed on the ground. The horse that an officer was riding got startled and started reacting. A police officer who was standing on the ground next to it got too anxious and tried to fire off a couple rounds of pepper spray projectiles. One hit her in the eye. I think she then fell to the ground and hit her head hard on the pavement. It is a huge story in Boston today. I do, however, feel for the police officers who have to put their lives on the line everyday and deal, on this occasion, with all the fans who act like animals (a small majority of fans).

The front page of the Boston Herald is also becoming a huge issue. The front page shows the girl on the ground bleeding from the head. The picture on page 4 is even worse and IMO neither should be published as they were. I haven't been able to find the pictures online if anyone wanted to see them, although I'm not sure anyone wants to see the last moments of this poor girl's life. And I know for a fact her family shouldn't have to deal with it.

Not that it makes a difference, but she was a very pretty woman and very intelligent from what I have seen. It is truly a shame. The few fans who could not control themselves that night should be ashamed of themselves. It really saddens a great day in Boston sports.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Arlo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:23 pm

:,-(
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BostonBK7 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:27 pm

Why he fired it in the first place is beyond me. Deadly force can only be used in extreme situations; to me, a bottle dropping on the ground is nowhere near that. On the other hand, trying to control a mob of thousands of people is easier said than done, I just think there could have been better ways of doing it. Although I also think that putting the pictures on the front of the Herald was an awful judgment call, if anything good comes out of it it's the shock value that would get a response. Maybe next time people will think before they act, although that would only be in a perfect world. In my opinion, the reality of the situation is that if the Red Sox went on to win the World Series, I can't imagine what would happen. The riots certainly would not be more passive, they would be exactly the opposite.
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JRM4833 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:43 pm

BostonBK7 wrote:Why he fired it in the first place is beyond me. Deadly force can only be used in extreme situations; to me, a bottle dropping on the ground is nowhere near that. On the other hand, trying to control a mob of thousands of people is easier said than done, I just think there could have been better ways of doing it. Although I also think that putting the pictures on the front of the Herald was an awful judgment call, if anything good comes out of it it's the shock value that would get a response. Maybe next time people will think before they act, although that would only be in a perfect world. In my opinion, the reality of the situation is that if the Red Sox went on to win the World Series, I can't imagine what would happen. The riots certainly would not be more passive, they would be exactly the opposite.

Well the pellet gun used is by no means deadly force. It's comparable to a bean bag gun, which is another method used as non-deadly force. But it's just one of those subjects where you don't really know what to say. I can see how difficult the job is in that situation, but on the other hand this girl didn't do anything wrong. It was others who were acting up. It's a sad story.

And can you imagine what it's going to be like if Boston has game 7 at home on Halloween? :-o Man I hope they lock up everybody and anybody the second they start acting out of control. This certainly is not typical of Redsox fan.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:56 pm

JRM4833 wrote:This certainly is not typical of Redsox fan.

Agreed and unfortunately, people will stereotype them as such. :-t Just like the idiot that threw the ball on the field after the A-Rod incident. You know what really gets me?? If someone throws a ball after a perceived bad call, they get tossed and everyone makes a big stink. A Cardinal hits a homerun in someplace like Wrigley, and they throw the ball back and every cheers. Same thing and same chance of injury but 1 is frowned upon. :-/
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk