New York Yankees: My Dream Offseason - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New York Yankees: My Dream Offseason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No way

Postby Ballwreckers » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:28 am

Ken Griffey is as reliable as Giambi without steroids as far the Yankees are concerned. I would want to see a full healthy Griffey a full season if I were a MLB team looking for a bat.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mkultra » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:56 am

Lofton will get traded. His acquisition quickly got overshadowed by stronger bats, and there isn't an obvious place for him except as the Yank's answer to Dave Roberts, and he won't accept that role. I could see him and Brown getting traded to the D-Backs, where they can have the "Elder Statesmen" position on a team that's rebuilding.

Do y'all think they'll stick with Vazquez? Yeah, his second half sucked, but his first half was so strong, and his upside is so high. I don't think it's a "pressure of playing in NY" thing- does he have a hidden injury like Pettitte did?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby cafe_58 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:04 pm

Beltran talks have already started. This from fanball.com:

Yankees: Beltran considering pinstripes

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Friday, October 22, 2004

News
The Carlos Beltran-to-the-Yankees talk has already started. Following the Astros' loss in game seven of the NLCS to the Cardinals Thursday night, the All-Star center fielder was asked repeatedly about his impending free agency and whether there was a chance he would stay in Houston. "This is going to be a team I'll consider when the season is over," Beltran would politely respond, according to the Newark Star-Ledger. "We'll have to see what happens when my agent and the owner get together." When a reporter cut to the chase and asked about signing with the Yankees, Beltran smiled. "I would like to see if that's going to happen. I don't know if the Yankees have an interest in me or not." Pressed further and questioned whether he thought he looked good in pinstripes, his smile reportedly got even wider. "I don't know," Beltran said. "What do you think?"

Views
Yankees' general manager Brian Cashman, who has already been told by TheBoss that he will not be fired before next season, has already said that they will be going after pitching this winter. Nonetheless, the Yankees are one of the few teams that have the wherewithal to sign a player like Beltran and you have to know his name has already been discussed in the Bronx. In fact, the Yankees are the clear frontrunner to ink Beltran. If they do so, look for Bernie Williams to become the full-time designated hitter. Stay tuned.

Personally, I really hope that Beltran doesn't sign with the Yankees. If he does, i'm getting a KC Beltran jersey to celebrate the current dubious state of baseball.
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:07 pm

Brown and Lofton for Randy Johnson??? HA HA HA HA HA.

Right.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby cafe_58 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:21 pm

Hey, that's a nice paper bag you got there Transmogrifier! :-D
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:29 pm

First of all Johnson won't be traded to the Yanks unless they get some other teams involved. They don't have prospects anyone wants, that's why he wasn't in pinstripes this year. I think they will probably get him and Beltran though in the end. :-/ Would you really want that pitching staff though? Johnson is old, Mussina is solid, but hasn't been exactly dominant IMO. The only real upside to that staff is Vazquez and Pavano, and I've yet to see them perform on a big stage yet. It's one thing in Montreal and Florida, another entirely in NY. Maybe I'm way out in left field on this one, but I'd rather have this years team over that one. :-? :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Mark86 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:17 am

Great lineup there. Beltran would be a very nice addition. I think pitching is a BIGGER problem though. I don't think it will be easy to get Big Unit and Pedro is a has-been.
[size=18][color=red][b]Go Cardinals! Keep The Curse Alive![/b][/color][/size]
Mark86
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers