New York Yankees: My Dream Offseason - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New York Yankees: My Dream Offseason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New York Yankees: My Dream Offseason

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:52 pm

If I were running the New York Yankees, this the potential team I would pursue in 2005:

C: Jorge Posada, John Flahrety
1B: Tino Martinez, John Olerud, Jason Giambi
2B: Todd Walker, Miguel Cairo, Enrique Wilson
3B: Alex Rodriguez
SS: Derek Jeter
LF: Hideki Matsui
CF: Bernie Williams, Kenny Lofton
RF: Gary Sheffield, Ruben Sierra

SP1: Randy Johnson
SP2: Mike Mussina
SP3: Carl Pavano
SP4: Jon Lieber
SP5: Javier Vazquez

LR: Orlando Hernandez, Tanyon Sturtze
MR: Tom Gordon, BJ Ryan
SU: Troy Percival
CL: Mariano Rivera

Now, I know I'm still getting some huge names (Unit, Pavano, Percival, etc.) but I'm sure all you Yankee haters would like this team much better than what George will probably do, acquiring Beltran, possibly Pedro, etc.

Catcher: Same two guys. Posada had a bad postseason but he's a leader on the team. Flahrety serves as a good backup who understands the pitching staff.

First Base: I like John Olerud. He provides great defense and a decent bat. Resign him. I'm bringing back Tino Martinez should Tampa decline his option. Tino was a big leader on the dynasty teams, and we need to bring some of that back. Though he doesn't have as much talent, he can provide great veteran leadership when combined with Jeter, Posada and Bernie. Giambi is a question mark. I'd trade him but who the hell wants his contract?

Second Base: Todd Walker isn't a must have, as I like Cairo. However, Walker is a very good player. I learned that watching the 2003 ALCS. Walker was a big part of that Red Sox team and I think he'd provide a good bottom of the order hitter and a good team player. Bring back Cairo and Wilson as backups for 2B, 3B and SS.

Third Base and Shortstop: No changes here. A-Rod and DJ.

Outfield: Same thing. No BELTRAN! Aren't you Yankee-haters happy? We don't need Beltran. Our offense is good enough. Sign Sierra back as a threat off the bench/DH.

Starting Pitching: Attempt a trade with the Arizona Diamondbacks to send Kevin Brown, some prospects and cash for RJ. RJ desperately wants to be a Yank, and the D'Backs will have to trade him or they'll lose him to FA next year. Brown provides a decent SP solution until they raise their prospects. Maybe a 3-way trade if the D'Backs still don't want our minor-leaguers. The next thing I'd do is attempt to sign Carl Pavano or Matt Clement. A young arm in the staff is what the Yankees need. Other than that, leave Muss, Lieber and Vazquez in the rotation.

Long Relief: Sign back El Duque to work out of the bullpen or to take over for Vazquez if he struggles. Sign Sturtze back as he provided a good arm out of the 'pen.

Middle Relief: The Orioles will probably lose Ryan to free agency if they don't trade him. Nobody will come with a bigger want than the Yankees, who don't have a lefty worth mentioning. I'm not sure what they'd trade but if we throw Quantrill, some prospects and some cash at them, they might bite.

Set-up: I only say sign one of these two because Gordon has proved time and time again that he can't get it done in the postseason. Percival is old, but can serve as one of the league's best set-up men. The Yanks would be smart to sign him.

Closer: No change here.

With this roster, I think the Yankees would be a very complete team. Their lineup would look as follows:

1. Derek Jeter
2. Alex Rodriguez
3. Gary Sheffield
4. Hideki Matsui
5. Jason Giambi
6. Bernie Williams
7. Jorge Posada
8. Tino Martinez
9. Todd Walker

Thoughts? Opinions?
Last edited by ajgnydc722 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:58 pm

looks doable. i'm not sure i'd even let giambi DH the way hes been playing. maybe sierra...

i htikn they could pull it off, though i doubt if they do becasue knowqing the yanks theyll go after all trhe big names (beltran, pedro, boone, etc) and try to put together another team of superstars and not work on team chemistry and littler, finer aspects of the game
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:02 pm

Sox FANatic001 wrote:looks doable. i'm not sure i'd even let giambi DH the way hes been playing. maybe sierra...

i htikn they could pull it off, though i doubt if they do becasue knowqing the yanks theyll go after all trhe big names (beltran, pedro, boone, etc) and try to put together another team of superstars and not work on team chemistry and littler, finer aspects of the game

Agreed. My post is rather what I would do and what I believe the Yankees should be pursuing. Giambi could be switched out of the DH spot easily should he continue is bad-luck/bad-playing. Sierra, Lofton or Olerud could play there.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:07 pm

i think your lineup is very doable, and would probably work well for the yanks also.......i think the toughest part of your lineup would be percival and rj, but the rest would be easily done......i dont know if percy is ready yet to be a setup man, and to me it just doesnt seem that the diamondbacks are willing to trade rj to the yanks(it might be that the yanks dont have enough young talent to offer for the package deal, i dont know).........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pedantic » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:20 pm

Almost anything is possible with the Yanks, but I don't know about your lineup. You have three righties, followed by two lefties, followed by two switch-hitters, followed by two lefties. Might not hurt to mix that up a bit. :-)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby so0perspam » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:22 pm

Pedantic wrote:Almost anything is possible with the Yanks, but I don't know about your lineup. You have three righties, followed by two lefties, followed by two switch-hitters, followed by two lefties. Might not hurt to mix that up a bit. :-)

;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:23 pm

Pedantic wrote:Almost anything is possible with the Yanks, but I don't know about your lineup. You have three righties, followed by two lefties, followed by two switch-hitters, followed by two lefties. Might not hurt to mix that up a bit. :-)

:-) Didn't really notice that. I don't think Torre will screw with Jeter-ARod-Sheff as that combo did great down the stretch last year. If Giambi goes down then everyone gets bumped up a spot and you can mix Ruben in there, who's another switch.

And the ALCS ended yesterday, so it's only a rough draft. :-b
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:24 pm

Now we just gotta get the boss to read this. :-D
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:33 pm

Maybe we can work Kenny Lofton into one of those trade. I don't like him. He complains about playing time when he's not even good. What right does he have to demand playing time from Bernie Williams?

Get Kenny out of here and call up Bubba Crosby.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:50 pm

If the Yankees decide to trade Giambi, he will be traded because Steinbrenner will eat his contract. This is assuming Giambi waives his no-trade clause.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers