Has Gagne vs Rivera been settled? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Gagne vs Rivera been settled?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:41 pm

thetongueofire wrote:hey Lo i know Rivera is awesome but we're comparing him to the guy who had arguably the best season ever for a closer last year, the guy who holds the record for 84 consecutive saves... very little margin for error.

Right. You are comparing someone who has 9 years of dominance to someone who had a great season. Is it too much to ask to wait until Gagne is done before putting him on a pedestal?? :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:45 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:hey Lo i know Rivera is awesome but we're comparing him to the guy who had arguably the best season ever for a closer last year, the guy who holds the record for 84 consecutive saves... very little margin for error.

Right. You are comparing someone who has 9 years of dominance to someone who had a great season. Is it too much to ask to wait until Gagne is done before putting him on a pedestal?? :-°

Not in the way the question was asked. Most people who are picking Gagne are saying he is the best right now which is pretty hard to argue against.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:50 pm

Tavish wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Not in the way the question was asked. Most people who are picking Gagne are saying he is the best right now which is pretty hard to argue against.

That's fine and if I was drafting a fantasy team, I would take Gagne before Rivera. Until he proves otherwise, I won't choose him to close out a playoff game over Rivera, though. That's just my opinion. I know that most people here hate the Yankees and want to kick them while they're down. That's fine with me.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:01 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

That's fine and if I was drafting a fantasy team, I would take Gagne before Rivera. Until he proves otherwise, I won't choose him to close out a playoff game over Rivera, though. That's just my opinion. I know that most people here hate the Yankees and want to kick them while they're down. That's fine with me.

Nobodies kicking the Yankees while they're down (well, no more kicking then when they're up). This has nothing to do with the Yankees. It has everything to do with Gagne being a lot better than Rivera ;-)

Rivera blew 2 in a row in the playoffs. Gagne went a year and a half without blowing a single one. His stuff is better. His control is better. I don't care if Rivera played for the Blue Jays, I'd still admit Gagne is better, in any situation (playoff or otherwise).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:13 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Nobodies kicking the Yankees while they're down (well, no more kicking then when they're up). This has nothing to do with the Yankees. It has everything to do with Gagne being a lot better than Rivera ;-)

Rivera blew 2 in a row in the playoffs. Gagne went a year and a half without blowing a single one. His stuff is better. His control is better. I don't care if Rivera played for the Blue Jays, I'd still admit Gagne is better, in any situation (playoff or otherwise).

And you are entitled to your opinion. You like to walk around like you're never wrong. :-) That's cool. I choose not to put Gagne up there just yet when he has pitched more meaningless than meaningful games. I need to see him pitch in a big spot.
Lofunzo

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:19 pm

To be fair to Rivera, the only team he's really shown any weakness against is the Red Sox. I'd take him for the playoffs against any team with that one exception. For the long haul, though? Gagne. For a short series against anyone but the Sox? Rivera.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:21 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:To be fair to Rivera, the only team he's really shown any weakness against is the Red Sox. I'd take him for the playoffs against any team with that one exception. For the long haul, though? Gagne. For a short series against anyone but the Sox? Rivera.

I'd probably agree with that for the most part.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:21 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:To be fair to Rivera, the only team he's really shown any weakness against is the Red Sox. I'd take him for the playoffs against any team with that one exception. For the long haul, though? Gagne. For a short series against anyone but the Sox? Rivera.

That's a fair assessment. ;-D
Lofunzo

Postby so0perspam » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:28 pm

Agreed, good point.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:39 am

I guess I could agree with AAs assessment, though I would still want Gagne in the postseason going by the theory that he would be as good in the postseason as he is in the regular season. And hes been pretty dominant the last 2 years.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers