Has Gagne vs Rivera been settled? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Gagne vs Rivera been settled?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:41 pm

thetongueofire wrote:hey Lo i know Rivera is awesome but we're comparing him to the guy who had arguably the best season ever for a closer last year, the guy who holds the record for 84 consecutive saves... very little margin for error.


Right. You are comparing someone who has 9 years of dominance to someone who had a great season. Is it too much to ask to wait until Gagne is done before putting him on a pedestal?? :-°
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:45 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:hey Lo i know Rivera is awesome but we're comparing him to the guy who had arguably the best season ever for a closer last year, the guy who holds the record for 84 consecutive saves... very little margin for error.


Right. You are comparing someone who has 9 years of dominance to someone who had a great season. Is it too much to ask to wait until Gagne is done before putting him on a pedestal?? :-°


Not in the way the question was asked. Most people who are picking Gagne are saying he is the best right now which is pretty hard to argue against.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11067
(Past Year: 34)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:50 pm

Tavish wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:hey Lo i know Rivera is awesome but we're comparing him to the guy who had arguably the best season ever for a closer last year, the guy who holds the record for 84 consecutive saves... very little margin for error.


Right. You are comparing someone who has 9 years of dominance to someone who had a great season. Is it too much to ask to wait until Gagne is done before putting him on a pedestal?? :-°


Not in the way the question was asked. Most people who are picking Gagne are saying he is the best right now which is pretty hard to argue against.


That's fine and if I was drafting a fantasy team, I would take Gagne before Rivera. Until he proves otherwise, I won't choose him to close out a playoff game over Rivera, though. That's just my opinion. I know that most people here hate the Yankees and want to kick them while they're down. That's fine with me.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby LBJackal » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:01 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:hey Lo i know Rivera is awesome but we're comparing him to the guy who had arguably the best season ever for a closer last year, the guy who holds the record for 84 consecutive saves... very little margin for error.


Right. You are comparing someone who has 9 years of dominance to someone who had a great season. Is it too much to ask to wait until Gagne is done before putting him on a pedestal?? :-°


Not in the way the question was asked. Most people who are picking Gagne are saying he is the best right now which is pretty hard to argue against.


That's fine and if I was drafting a fantasy team, I would take Gagne before Rivera. Until he proves otherwise, I won't choose him to close out a playoff game over Rivera, though. That's just my opinion. I know that most people here hate the Yankees and want to kick them while they're down. That's fine with me.


Nobodies kicking the Yankees while they're down (well, no more kicking then when they're up). This has nothing to do with the Yankees. It has everything to do with Gagne being a lot better than Rivera ;-)

Rivera blew 2 in a row in the playoffs. Gagne went a year and a half without blowing a single one. His stuff is better. His control is better. I don't care if Rivera played for the Blue Jays, I'd still admit Gagne is better, in any situation (playoff or otherwise).
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:13 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:hey Lo i know Rivera is awesome but we're comparing him to the guy who had arguably the best season ever for a closer last year, the guy who holds the record for 84 consecutive saves... very little margin for error.


Right. You are comparing someone who has 9 years of dominance to someone who had a great season. Is it too much to ask to wait until Gagne is done before putting him on a pedestal?? :-°


Not in the way the question was asked. Most people who are picking Gagne are saying he is the best right now which is pretty hard to argue against.


That's fine and if I was drafting a fantasy team, I would take Gagne before Rivera. Until he proves otherwise, I won't choose him to close out a playoff game over Rivera, though. That's just my opinion. I know that most people here hate the Yankees and want to kick them while they're down. That's fine with me.


Nobodies kicking the Yankees while they're down (well, no more kicking then when they're up). This has nothing to do with the Yankees. It has everything to do with Gagne being a lot better than Rivera ;-)

Rivera blew 2 in a row in the playoffs. Gagne went a year and a half without blowing a single one. His stuff is better. His control is better. I don't care if Rivera played for the Blue Jays, I'd still admit Gagne is better, in any situation (playoff or otherwise).


And you are entitled to your opinion. You like to walk around like you're never wrong. :-) That's cool. I choose not to put Gagne up there just yet when he has pitched more meaningless than meaningful games. I need to see him pitch in a big spot.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:19 pm

To be fair to Rivera, the only team he's really shown any weakness against is the Red Sox. I'd take him for the playoffs against any team with that one exception. For the long haul, though? Gagne. For a short series against anyone but the Sox? Rivera.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:21 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:To be fair to Rivera, the only team he's really shown any weakness against is the Red Sox. I'd take him for the playoffs against any team with that one exception. For the long haul, though? Gagne. For a short series against anyone but the Sox? Rivera.


I'd probably agree with that for the most part.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:21 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:To be fair to Rivera, the only team he's really shown any weakness against is the Red Sox. I'd take him for the playoffs against any team with that one exception. For the long haul, though? Gagne. For a short series against anyone but the Sox? Rivera.


That's a fair assessment. ;-D
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby so0perspam » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:28 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:To be fair to Rivera, the only team he's really shown any weakness against is the Red Sox. I'd take him for the playoffs against any team with that one exception. For the long haul, though? Gagne. For a short series against anyone but the Sox? Rivera.


Agreed, good point.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8653
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bay Area

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:39 am

I guess I could agree with AAs assessment, though I would still want Gagne in the postseason going by the theory that he would be as good in the postseason as he is in the regular season. And hes been pretty dominant the last 2 years.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Jul. 28
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Diego at Atlanta
(12:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact