Has Gagne vs Rivera been settled? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Gagne vs Rivera been settled?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:06 pm

thetongueofire wrote:if Rivera had converted Game 7 of 01 WS and one of his two BS in this ALCS, Yankees couldve had two more WS.

he has cost the Yankees a couple of very important games. he's not the same guy he was say a few years ago. Right now, i'd take Gagne. but if it was Rivera of a few years ago, i'd take him over Gagne.


Rivera hasn't cost them anything. You wanna say what he has cost them?? How about what he has gotten them??
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:if Rivera had converted Game 7 of 01 WS and one of his two BS in this ALCS, Yankees couldve had two more WS.

he has cost the Yankees a couple of very important games. he's not the same guy he was say a few years ago. Right now, i'd take Gagne. but if it was Rivera of a few years ago, i'd take him over Gagne.


Rivera hasn't cost them anything. You wanna say what he has cost them?? How about what he has gotten them??


I agree. If it weren't for Mariano Rivera the Yankees would have ZERO World championships. And I don't know how many times I have to say this but HE DIDN'T BLOW GAME 5!!!!! Anyone who thinks he is at fault for Game 5 clearly doesn't have a clue.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:18 pm

hey Lo i know Rivera is awesome but we're comparing him to the guy who had arguably the best season ever for a closer last year, the guy who holds the record for 84 consecutive saves... very little margin for error.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3622
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:25 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:I agree. If it weren't for Mariano Rivera the Yankees would have ZERO World championships.


You do realize the Yankees existed before 1996 right?
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 850
Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uranus

Postby DK » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:27 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:I agree. If it weren't for Mariano Rivera the Yankees would have ZERO World championships.


You do realize the Yankees existed before 1996 right?


Lmao! :D
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:31 pm

hehe.. :-b
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3622
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:39 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:if Rivera had converted Game 7 of 01 WS and one of his two BS in this ALCS, Yankees couldve had two more WS.

he has cost the Yankees a couple of very important games. he's not the same guy he was say a few years ago. Right now, i'd take Gagne. but if it was Rivera of a few years ago, i'd take him over Gagne.


Rivera hasn't cost them anything. You wanna say what he has cost them?? How about what he has gotten them??


I agree. If it weren't for Mariano Rivera the Yankees would have ZERO World championships. And I don't know how many times I have to say this but HE DIDN'T BLOW GAME 5!!!!! Anyone who thinks he is at fault for Game 5 clearly doesn't have a clue.


Game 4 is where Rivera blew it for them. He walked Millar to lead off the 9th inning. That was the tying run, and he walked it on base, and it scored of a hit that he allowed. If he didn't blow that easy save in Game 4, there wouldn't have been a Game 5 for them to lose. Or a Game 6. Or a Game 7.

I'm not saying he isn't good. I'm saying Gagne is better and probably would have the Yankees in the World Series after they swept Boston. But your saviour, "the best closer when it counts", blew the save in back-to-back elimination games and now the Yanks are having a beer watching the Astros and Cardinals play.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:42 pm

I know he blew game 4. You're both saying he blew game 5 also. He didn't. Tom Gordon did. The rule book is a joke if Rivera gets charged with that blown save.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby LBJackal » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:49 pm

The Yankees were winning when he came into the game, and they weren't winning when he was taken out of the game. Regardless of how hard it was, he blew it. K's, pop-ups, GIDP, there's tons of ways he could have gotten out of it. But he didn't. And there shouldn't have been a game 5 anyway.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:40 pm

LBJackal wrote:The Yankees were winning when he came into the game, and they weren't winning when he was taken out of the game. Regardless of how hard it was, he blew it. K's, pop-ups, GIDP, there's tons of ways he could have gotten out of it. But he didn't. And there shouldn't have been a game 5 anyway.


Jackal.......FYI, Rivera didn't pee in your Cheerios. :-b
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Sep. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at Atlanta
(1:35 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Cleveland at Minnesota
(2:10 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Seattle at Houston
(2:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(3:35 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(8:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact