Has Gagne vs Rivera been settled? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Gagne vs Rivera been settled?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:06 pm

thetongueofire wrote:if Rivera had converted Game 7 of 01 WS and one of his two BS in this ALCS, Yankees couldve had two more WS.

he has cost the Yankees a couple of very important games. he's not the same guy he was say a few years ago. Right now, i'd take Gagne. but if it was Rivera of a few years ago, i'd take him over Gagne.

Rivera hasn't cost them anything. You wanna say what he has cost them?? How about what he has gotten them??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:if Rivera had converted Game 7 of 01 WS and one of his two BS in this ALCS, Yankees couldve had two more WS.

he has cost the Yankees a couple of very important games. he's not the same guy he was say a few years ago. Right now, i'd take Gagne. but if it was Rivera of a few years ago, i'd take him over Gagne.

Rivera hasn't cost them anything. You wanna say what he has cost them?? How about what he has gotten them??

I agree. If it weren't for Mariano Rivera the Yankees would have ZERO World championships. And I don't know how many times I have to say this but HE DIDN'T BLOW GAME 5!!!!! Anyone who thinks he is at fault for Game 5 clearly doesn't have a clue.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:18 pm

hey Lo i know Rivera is awesome but we're comparing him to the guy who had arguably the best season ever for a closer last year, the guy who holds the record for 84 consecutive saves... very little margin for error.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:25 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:I agree. If it weren't for Mariano Rivera the Yankees would have ZERO World championships.

You do realize the Yankees existed before 1996 right?
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:27 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:I agree. If it weren't for Mariano Rivera the Yankees would have ZERO World championships.

You do realize the Yankees existed before 1996 right?

Lmao! :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:31 pm

hehe.. :-b
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:39 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I agree. If it weren't for Mariano Rivera the Yankees would have ZERO World championships. And I don't know how many times I have to say this but HE DIDN'T BLOW GAME 5!!!!! Anyone who thinks he is at fault for Game 5 clearly doesn't have a clue.

Game 4 is where Rivera blew it for them. He walked Millar to lead off the 9th inning. That was the tying run, and he walked it on base, and it scored of a hit that he allowed. If he didn't blow that easy save in Game 4, there wouldn't have been a Game 5 for them to lose. Or a Game 6. Or a Game 7.

I'm not saying he isn't good. I'm saying Gagne is better and probably would have the Yankees in the World Series after they swept Boston. But your saviour, "the best closer when it counts", blew the save in back-to-back elimination games and now the Yanks are having a beer watching the Astros and Cardinals play.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:42 pm

I know he blew game 4. You're both saying he blew game 5 also. He didn't. Tom Gordon did. The rule book is a joke if Rivera gets charged with that blown save.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:49 pm

The Yankees were winning when he came into the game, and they weren't winning when he was taken out of the game. Regardless of how hard it was, he blew it. K's, pop-ups, GIDP, there's tons of ways he could have gotten out of it. But he didn't. And there shouldn't have been a game 5 anyway.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:40 pm

LBJackal wrote:The Yankees were winning when he came into the game, and they weren't winning when he was taken out of the game. Regardless of how hard it was, he blew it. K's, pop-ups, GIDP, there's tons of ways he could have gotten out of it. But he didn't. And there shouldn't have been a game 5 anyway.

Jackal.......FYI, Rivera didn't pee in your Cheerios. :-b
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers