Has Gagne vs Rivera been settled? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Gagne vs Rivera been settled?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Has Gagne vs Rivera been settled?

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:42 am

Earlier we argued about Gagne and Rivera and who was the better real life closer, and most people said Rivera was better because he was great in the postseason. Well, we saw how great Rivera was this postseason. Is it time to say Gagne is the best closer in the league?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:33 am

it is pretty much a toss up to me between those 2, but i think next year this time we will be saying that lidge is the best closer in baseball.........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:27 am

ummmmmm NO.....sure the sparkle on Rivera's star is a bit less shiny, but Gagne still hasn't done anything in the postseason either. Don't get me wrong i can see that side of the argument and could even make a case for gagne, but as of now i still would have to go with rivera.

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:37 am

I'd say not yet. Rivera still has had a lot of success when the chips are down. Not to mention his success over a long span of time.

Gagne hasn't had the opportunity to show what he would do in that situation even though I always think of the home run Gagne gave up to Blalock in the All-Star game. :-D

Not decided yet, in my opinion. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kentx12 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:17 am

raiders_umpire wrote:it is pretty much a toss up to me between those 2, but i think next year this time we will be saying that lidge is the best closer in baseball.........

This wouldnt suprise me at all.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:06 pm

INKcogKNEEdough wrote:ummmmmm NO.....sure the sparkle on Rivera's star is a bit less shiny, but Gagne still hasn't done anything in the postseason either. Don't get me wrong i can see that side of the argument and could even make a case for gagne, but as of now i still would have to go with rivera.

INKcogKNEEdough

I completely agree and appreciate your honesty as a Red Sox fan, ink.

Rivera blew a save sure. But does Gagne even have a save in postseason ball? No, he has to prove he can dominate on that stage before he can be bumped up to Mariano status.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:15 pm

Er, so what's the real question here? Who is the better closer or who is the better postseason closer?

If you ask GM's, scouts, coaches and the like, a majority of them will say Gagne, Rivera and Smoltz.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:24 pm

You're starting a team. You could have any closer in the league. Who do you pick?

Personally, considering age and recent sucesses, I'd go with Gagne, Lidge then Rivera.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:27 pm

pokerplaya wrote:You're starting a team. You could have any closer in the league. Who do you pick?

Personally, considering age and recent sucesses, I'd go with Gagne, Lidge then Rivera.
\

If you're putting it that way, then yeah I'd take Gagne because he's younger. But Rivera is better right now IMO.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:33 pm

Smoltz was smokin the second half of the year. Right now I would say Smoltz. Overall, considering age etc. I would go with Gagne.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers