An interesting discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

An interesting discussion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:22 pm

Amazinz wrote:The idea of bandwagon fans during the postseason is a joke and is mostly just sour grapes by Yankees fans or the fans of whichever team lost. Sports for most people are more exciting when you're rooting for someone. Hell, when I have insomnia and watch some dumb women's tennis match on ESPN at 3 a.m. I just pick the girl with the nicest bottom and start rooting away. I love baseball and love the playoffs even when the Mets aren't involved and I have to root for someone. This year I'm rooting for the Sox because they haven't won a WS since 1918. The true fans deserve it and the "bandwagon" fans are going to enjoy the ride.

This sour grapes by Yankee fans happens every year by fans of all teams. Last year on these same boards, there was plenty of sour grapes by Sox fans. That happens and I understand it. I also completely understand why someone would root for the Sox. It's not that. Root away. It's the fans that I am talking about that can't name more than 3-4 players on that team yet they act like they have loved them for decades. If your only Sox apparel was purchased within the past few days, this is what I am referring to as well.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KPucks » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:20 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
KPucks wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:You might like the city but how do you feel about Yankee fans??

As a Sox fan, I don't hate or dislike Yankees fans, I just dislike their view on their baseball team. I have a lot of friends who like the Yanks, so its not like I blackball a whole group of people because of baseball. Saying you hate someone because their favorite team is pretty dumb in my opinion.

May I ask what you mean by that??

That is kind of worded wierdly. I mean that I don't like the same team they do, so we have some differing views when it comes to their team or my team.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:36 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Amazinz wrote:The idea of bandwagon fans during the postseason is a joke and is mostly just sour grapes by Yankees fans or the fans of whichever team lost. Sports for most people are more exciting when you're rooting for someone. Hell, when I have insomnia and watch some dumb women's tennis match on ESPN at 3 a.m. I just pick the girl with the nicest bottom and start rooting away. I love baseball and love the playoffs even when the Mets aren't involved and I have to root for someone. This year I'm rooting for the Sox because they haven't won a WS since 1918. The true fans deserve it and the "bandwagon" fans are going to enjoy the ride.

This sour grapes by Yankee fans happens every year by fans of all teams. Last year on these same boards, there was plenty of sour grapes by Sox fans. That happens and I understand it. I also completely understand why someone would root for the Sox. It's not that. Root away. It's the fans that I am talking about that can't name more than 3-4 players on that team yet they act like they have loved them for decades. If your only Sox apparel was purchased within the past few days, this is what I am referring to as well.

I was just discussing this with my friend yesterday. One of my friends who doesn't know much about sports (doesn't play, doesn't watch for the most part) happened to turn into an Arizona D'Back fan myseriously after 2001. Now he knows it's too obvious that he's a frontrunner if he denies he's D'Back fan now, so instead he just roots for the Sox and gives me crap when they beat the Yankees. When I point out that he's not even a Sox fan, he just says "Yeah I know but I hate the Yankees." Now he has to be one of the top people giving me crap now that the Sox have won the ALCS. What gets me pissed is that he can't even name 5 players on the Red Sox OR the D'Backs.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:36 pm

KPucks wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
KPucks wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:You might like the city but how do you feel about Yankee fans??

As a Sox fan, I don't hate or dislike Yankees fans, I just dislike their view on their baseball team. I have a lot of friends who like the Yanks, so its not like I blackball a whole group of people because of baseball. Saying you hate someone because their favorite team is pretty dumb in my opinion.

May I ask what you mean by that??

That is kind of worded wierdly. I mean that I don't like the same team they do, so we have some differing views when it comes to their team or my team.

Thanks for clearing that up. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby GameOn » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:25 am

I have had a Red Sox hat as well for about 3 years or so, which ironically enough I just wear on a consistant basis because it fits better than my Rangers hat. I noticed about a year or so ago that a crapload of people started wearing red sox hats so now I feel kinda like some bandwagon fan when I wear mine but I still do. I wouldn't consider myself a Red Sox per se, I just really dislike the Yankees. There are plenty of teams that I would root for to beat the red sox, but I think if you wear a Red Sox hat, and you don't live in new england, you are just saying that you hate the yankees. I go to college in Texas, and EVERYONE has a Red Sox hat, I mean it is pretty ridicolous. Thats just my two cents, damn I wish my rangers hat fit like my red sox one does though lol. Maybe I should just buy a new Rangers hat :-?
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers