An interesting discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

An interesting discussion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:16 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:Am I the only Red Sox hater here? I hate the team, I hate the fans, I hate the city. I don't especially love the Yankees, but I love watching the Yankees beat the sh*t out of the Sox year in and year out (save this year). I don't know why. I'm not even a fan of American League baseball, but I just hate the Red Sox.

I'm about to become the biggest Astros/Cardinals fan the world has ever seen.

Does that make me an a**hole?

To answer your last question....YES!

Hate the team all you want, but the fans?....the city? So you hate fans that are well informed and aren't bandwagoners(No New York fans, I'm not implying anything here!)? And why do you hate Boston? I absolutely hate the Yankees, but I love NYC(Well, maybe not love, but I have no problem with it).

One thing I've noticed is that the Sox bandwagon is now much, much larger than the Yankee bandwagon. The Yankee bandwagon seems to have fallen off IMO, bc people simply got tired of the winning and are looking for a new team. The huge Sox bandwagon didn't just start after Game 7, it was all series. I'm in college (in Maryland, not New England), where everyone is from all over the country and I've never seen such a bandwagon- Detriot Tigers fans, Baltimore Orioles fans, Phillies fans, non-baseball fans- all on the Sox bandwagon this year. I myself have a great disdain for these people, but not those that are what I call, true Red Sox fans- the lifers, the NE natives, those whose parents are/were Sox fans.

As for hating the Sox, all I hate is Pedro. I dislike Ortiz (only bc he's good and looks too much like big Mo ;-) ), Varitek for obvious reasons and Millar (bc announcers always mention Cowboy Up in reference to him). I have no problem with the rest of the team, or its true fans. The bandwagoners are another story.

To answer the original question: From what you've told us, I'd consider you a bandwagon fan or simply a Yankee hater. As Mookie said, if the Sox played the Mets, you'd be rooting for the Mets. Add that to the fact that you said you bought the hat in part to merely spite Yankee fans around you. I'm sorry but I personally would not consider you a fan.
Last edited by blankman on Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:17 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:Am I the only Red Sox hater here? I hate the team, I hate the fans, I hate the city. I don't especially love the Yankees, but I love watching the Yankees beat the sh*t out of the Sox year in and year out (save this year). I don't know why. I'm not even a fan of American League baseball, but I just hate the Red Sox.

Hate the team all you want, but the fans?....the city? So you hate fans that are well informed and aren't bandwagoners(No New York fans, I'm not implying anything here!)? And why do you hate Boston? I absolutely hate the Yankees, but I love NYC(Well, maybe not love, but I have no problem with it).

You might like the city but how do you feel about Yankee fans??

I really have no problems with REAL Yankee fans. The kind that actually watch baseball in May....not just in October. People that were actually raised a New York fan, and have cheered for them through the good and bad. Alot of people are Yankee fans b/c its easy(they can pretty much be guareenteed of being able to root for them in October). Of course, I always say bad things about the Yankee fans, but I have to respect their devotion and love for the game.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:22 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:

You might like the city but how do you feel about Yankee fans??

I really have no problems with REAL Yankee fans. The kind that actually watch baseball in May....not just in October. People that were actually raised a New York fan, and have cheered for them through the good and bad. Alot of people are Yankee fans b/c its easy(they can pretty much be guareenteed of being able to root for them in October). Of course, I always say bad things about the Yankee fans, but I have to respect their devotion and love for the game.

It really the same for me in reference to Boston. If you look at my post right above yours, you'll find that our positions are very similar and that the bandwagon seems to have now shifted (at the beginning of the ALCS or earlier), towards the Sox side, because people are tired of the Yankees.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby roadrunner » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:42 am

i believe their are only two kinds of people, those who hate the yankees and those who love the yankees. i grew up a military kid originally from upstate new york, i grew up a yankees fan. i moved west to denver in 1980 and we had cable t.v. with wwor and wpix but i always found myself watching the mets and by 83 or so i was a die hard mets fan. probabaly my worst baseball feeling was when the yankees beat the mets in the subway series i could have died. at that time i was and am still living in phoenix az. that particular season i routed so hard against the d-backs when they played the mets in the nlcs, everyone out here thought i was the new york anti christ, and little did i know i would become the biggest d-back fan in the desert a short time later, when a 4 year expansion team showed the evil empire a thing or two and later i would become a pretty big marlins fan too. go figure. but i guess now i am a mets/d-backs/marlins/red sox fan all rolled into one. point being i would most likely route for an alqueda pick up team if they were playing the yankees.
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:52 am

roadrunner wrote:i believe their are only two kinds of people, those who hate the yankees and those who love the yankees. i grew up a military kid originally from upstate new york, i grew up a yankees fan. i moved west to denver in 1980 and we had cable t.v. with wwor and wpix but i always found myself watching the mets and by 83 or so i was a die hard mets fan. probabaly my worst baseball feeling was when the yankees beat the mets in the subway series i could have died. at that time i was and am still living in phoenix az. that particular season i routed so hard against the d-backs when they played the mets in the nlcs, everyone out here thought i was the new york anti christ, and little did i know i would become the biggest d-back fan in the desert a short time later, when a 4 year expansion team showed the evil empire a thing or two and later i would become a pretty big marlins fan too. go figure. but i guess now i am a mets/d-backs/marlins/red sox fan all rolled into one. point being i would most likely route for an alqueda pick up team if they were playing the yankees.

So you basically root for the whole NL?? :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby roadrunner » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:47 pm

So you basically root for the whole NL?? :-°[/quote]

you know it is kinda funny but you can say that to some degree i absolutely despise american league ball as it is played but scince the inception of my tenure in fantasy baseball i have become more of a fan of the game on a whole. and just when i was ready to go full throttle d-backs they had to go and drop an entire roster and lose 111 games? boy if only we had the yankees money we may have been able to hold onto at least maybe chad moeller what do ya think

oh by the way I HAVE NEVER routed for san diego, los angeles, san francisco, houston, montreal, st. louis, cincinnati, philadelphia, atlanta, milwaukee, pittsburgh,

but speaking demographically only, i have attended far more rockies games than either mets or d-backs and the cubs who wouldn't pull for the cubs. and by virtue of circumstance only have had to pull for the marlins one time, you spankee fans need only revert back to last year incase your rose colored lenses just got spewed upon once again but don't fret i'm sure the big boss will now show us all how you can spend 300 million and only win 87 games next season
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:25 pm

It's strange. I am a Yankee fan first and a Cards fan second and not just because of this series. I see pros and cons of the NL-style of game. It is a purer game and involves more strategy. On the other hand, I would much rather watch David Ortiz hit than Jeff Suppan. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KPucks » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:36 pm

Lofunzo wrote:You might like the city but how do you feel about Yankee fans??

As a Sox fan, I don't hate or dislike Yankees fans, I just dislike their view on their baseball team. I have a lot of friends who like the Yanks, so its not like I blackball a whole group of people because of baseball. Saying you hate someone because their favorite team is pretty dumb in my opinion.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:10 pm

The idea of bandwagon fans during the postseason is a joke and is mostly just sour grapes by Yankees fans or the fans of whichever team lost. Sports for most people are more exciting when you're rooting for someone. Hell, when I have insomnia and watch some dumb women's tennis match on ESPN at 3 a.m. I just pick the girl with the nicest bottom and start rooting away. I love baseball and love the playoffs even when the Mets aren't involved and I have to root for someone. This year I'm rooting for the Sox because they haven't won a WS since 1918. The true fans deserve it and the "bandwagon" fans are going to enjoy the ride.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:19 pm

KPucks wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:You might like the city but how do you feel about Yankee fans??

As a Sox fan, I don't hate or dislike Yankees fans, I just dislike their view on their baseball team. I have a lot of friends who like the Yanks, so its not like I blackball a whole group of people because of baseball. Saying you hate someone because their favorite team is pretty dumb in my opinion.

May I ask what you mean by that??
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers