An interesting discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

An interesting discussion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:51 pm

The series was monumental and was a great accomplishment that will be brought up every time there is a 3-0 series lead but I don't see how anyone can claim to be a fan and wish that another team lost a league championship series more than their team win the World Series. It makes no sense to me.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:20 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I wouldn't say that you are a Sox fan because if the Sox played the Mets you would want the Sox to lose, right?

As a Jays fan I hate the Sox and Yankees equally. I was rooting for 2 things:

1) a lot of home plate collisions (that's a joke - I would not cheer for anyone to get hurt); and
2) for the Cards to sweep the Astros so that they could get plenty of rest for the WS.

I'm going to the local sports store tomorrow to buy a new cap - I haven't decided yet whether its going to be a Cards hat or an Astros. :-D

Yes, if the Sox were playing the Mets, it would be the Mets - no contest.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:21 pm

Registered_Guest wrote:
kentx12 wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:
2nite was the greatest sports moment of my lifetime. (Easily beating out Luis Gonzalez's WS winning hit off Rivera).

I was a Red Sox fan for 7 games ;-D

I agree with this. I am a die hard Braves fan but the Sox beating tha Yankees made me happier than than I was when the Braves won the WS...

I agree 100%. I'm happier the Yankees lost in the fashion they did than I'd be if the Cubs won the Series as well (or as disappointed when the Cubs lost last year).

I really don't think I'll see a better moment in my sports lifetime than this last series.

I'm sorry, that absoulutely ridiculous to me. Your team especially. You haven't won since 1908. Yet you'd rather see the Yankees lose a ALCS??

It's sad that people hate the Yankees more than they love their own team.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:47 pm

Am I the only Red Sox hater here? I hate the team, I hate the fans, I hate the city. I don't especially love the Yankees, but I love watching the Yankees beat the sh*t out of the Sox year in and year out (save this year). I don't know why. I'm not even a fan of American League baseball, but I just hate the Red Sox.

I'm about to become the biggest Astros/Cardinals fan the world has ever seen.

Does that make me an a**hole?
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:49 pm

The whole notion that the Red Sox are underdogs is laughable. The team with the highest payroll got beaten....by the team with the second highest payroll, la-de-freakin-da!
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:07 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:Am I the only Red Sox hater here? I hate the team, I hate the fans, I hate the city. I don't especially love the Yankees, but I love watching the Yankees beat the sh*t out of the Sox year in and year out (save this year). I don't know why. I'm not even a fan of American League baseball, but I just hate the Red Sox.

I don't hate the Sox. I dislike them. I have no problem with their fans or the city, which is a great place.

To answer your question.......NO.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pedantic » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:46 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
kentx12 wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:
2nite was the greatest sports moment of my lifetime. (Easily beating out Luis Gonzalez's WS winning hit off Rivera).

I was a Red Sox fan for 7 games ;-D

I agree with this. I am a die hard Braves fan but the Sox beating tha Yankees made me happier than than I was when the Braves won the WS...

If you are a true die hard Braves fan, I can't see how your statement makes any sense. I would much rather my team win rather than another team lose. :-°

I agree. I don't understand how that's possible if you're truly a die-hard fan. You'd rather see the Boston Red Sox beat the Yankees in the ALCS than see your Braves win the World Series?

As a Braves fan myself, I third that. Are you out of your mind? Ok, I'm done. Actually, now that the Braves are out of the running this postseason, I feel somewhat numb to all other happenings in baseball.

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:The whole notion that the Red Sox are underdogs is laughable. The team with the highest payroll got beaten....by the team with the second highest payroll, la-de-freakin-da!

Great point. I'm not yet at the point of disliking the Sox like I abhor the Yankees, but I'm sick and tired of Sox fans complaining about the Yankees' payroll. The Sox are head and shoulders above all other teams besides the Yankees in that department. I would actually like to see the Astros win the Series (the lesser evil, so to speak). But I will accept a Red Sox win if I never, ever have to hear about a curse or whining about the Yankees' payroll ever, ever again. ;-7
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Rkiivs » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:17 am

Madison wrote:...Perception was that the Sox were the underdogs when the matchup was fairly even this year.

Just my two old beat up pennies on it anyway. :-)

Uh oh, I think we just agreed on something.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:31 am

beltrans_boy wrote:Am I the only Red Sox hater here? I hate the team, I hate the fans, I hate the city. I don't especially love the Yankees, but I love watching the Yankees beat the sh*t out of the Sox year in and year out (save this year). I don't know why. I'm not even a fan of American League baseball, but I just hate the Red Sox.

To answer your last question....YES!

Hate the team all you want, but the fans?....the city? So you hate fans that are well informed and aren't bandwagoners(No New York fans, I'm not implying anything here!)? And why do you hate Boston? I absolutely hate the Yankees, but I love NYC(Well, maybe not love, but I have no problem with it).
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:04 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:

To answer your last question....YES!

Hate the team all you want, but the fans?....the city? So you hate fans that are well informed and aren't bandwagoners(No New York fans, I'm not implying anything here!)? And why do you hate Boston? I absolutely hate the Yankees, but I love NYC(Well, maybe not love, but I have no problem with it).

You might like the city but how do you feel about Yankee fans??
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers