An interesting discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

An interesting discussion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

An interesting discussion

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:54 am

First some background information....

I am a die hard Mets fan, who has been around through thick and thin. I breathe the Mets and everything that has to do with them. That being said, I bought a Red Sox cap last year for two reasons A) Because I considered myself a fan of the team (admittedly because I can relate with the Red Sox and their fans, hating the Yankees is a very strong bond) and B) because I wanted to taunt my housemates who are Yankees fans.

This year, the tables were turned and the Sox pulled off the improbable. I ended up having a heated discussion with the afformentioned housemate over whether I was a fan or not.

To some this surely sounds like a ridiculous argument. Just hear it out, it's kind of interesting. He believed that I was merely a Yankee hater, both of fans and team and that if the Yankees were playing the Blue Jays I would have been a Blue Jay fan. Sounds plausible.

My response: I've enjoyed watching the Red Sox because I can relate with the fans and the team. I enjoy watching the underdog and seeing them win, and becoming a Red Sox fan seemed natural. He immediately calls me a frontrunner, and tells me that I just hate all Yankee fans. Bitter? Of course.

So what am I? A fan, or just a bitter Mets fan. Probably a little bit of both. ;-D

Actually, we had a very interesting discussion about the term underdog and I would like to hear what you guys define underdog as.

His definition: The yankees were the underdog because they had Schilling and Pedro and in a 7 game series this would be hard to beat. Regardless of if you agree that the Yankees were the weaker team, just assume that they were for the time being.

My definition: To be an underdog implies more than just a series, or a month, or even a season. To be a true underdog is more of an institutional thing developed over years and years of being cursed. Regardless of the team, I always felt like the Sox were the underdog.

Thoughts? Forgive the choppy nature of this post....I'm writing it at 4 A.M to get out of finishing my term paper due at 10AM. :*)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:11 am

I hate the Yankees more than anyone alive.

If I said how I really thought about them, I'd probably get banned from these forums :-]

2nite was the greatest sports moment of my lifetime. (Easily beating out Luis Gonzalez's WS winning hit off Rivera).

I was a Red Sox fan for 7 games ;-D
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 955
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rkiivs » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:08 am

Manny and Ortiz having MVP seasons. How are the Sox underdogs? Sorry, curses don't live in my house, reality does; and I don't buy into the oh-woe-is-me nostalgia of the Redsox nation.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Innovative Member
Posts: 927
Joined: 9 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:03 am

You bought the cap last year? Ok, so when you root for the Sox, are you rooting because you want to see them win, or do you just want to stick it to the Yankees? I'm sure it's a bit of both, but which is the more dominant feeling? If you want to see success for the Sox, then I'd call you a fan. If you want the Yanks to lose, then I'd say it's more of an anti-Yankee thing. Your call to make as to which one it is.

As to who was the underdog, the Yankees had no pitching, but the monster offense. I actually saw the matchup as somewhat even. Once the Sox were down 0-2 and then 0-3, they were certainly the underdogs. Before the series started though, the Sox were the "cursed" team. The team that never won. The team that always lost the big ones. Etc. While the Yankees are always the frontrunners. They step it up when it counts. They have the "magic". Etc. Perception was that the Sox were the underdogs when the matchup was fairly even this year.

Just my two old beat up pennies on it anyway. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby kentx12 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:09 am

Registered_Guest wrote:
2nite was the greatest sports moment of my lifetime. (Easily beating out Luis Gonzalez's WS winning hit off Rivera).

I was a Red Sox fan for 7 games ;-D



I agree with this. I am a die hard Braves fan but the Sox beating tha Yankees made me happier than than I was when the Braves won the WS...
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17435
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 8 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lost

Postby perlick29 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:33 pm

I'd say you're more of a Yankee hater than a red sox fan granted this comes from New Yorker who is a Yankee fan. But the reason is because you say you're a die hard Met fan, so to me that says you shouldn't really be liking the Red Sox all that much but as I know from most Yankee fans, you should have a passion for hating the Yankees, with us being you're cross town rivals and all. So while you may respect the sox, you're a die hard Met fan. and die hard mets fans HATE the Yankees, and probably a little bit of the Sox for the 86' series.
Image
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4810
Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: praising the almighty Baseball Prospectus

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:51 pm

I wouldn't say that you are a Sox fan because if the Sox played the Mets you would want the Sox to lose, right?

As a Jays fan I hate the Sox and Yankees equally. I was rooting for 2 things:

1) a lot of home plate collisions (that's a joke - I would not cheer for anyone to get hurt); and
2) for the Cards to sweep the Astros so that they could get plenty of rest for the WS.

I'm going to the local sports store tomorrow to buy a new cap - I haven't decided yet whether its going to be a Cards hat or an Astros. :-D
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:17 pm

kentx12 wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:
2nite was the greatest sports moment of my lifetime. (Easily beating out Luis Gonzalez's WS winning hit off Rivera).

I was a Red Sox fan for 7 games ;-D



I agree with this. I am a die hard Braves fan but the Sox beating tha Yankees made me happier than than I was when the Braves won the WS...


If you are a true die hard Braves fan, I can't see how your statement makes any sense. I would much rather my team win rather than another team lose. :-°
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:33 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
kentx12 wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:
2nite was the greatest sports moment of my lifetime. (Easily beating out Luis Gonzalez's WS winning hit off Rivera).

I was a Red Sox fan for 7 games ;-D



I agree with this. I am a die hard Braves fan but the Sox beating tha Yankees made me happier than than I was when the Braves won the WS...


If you are a true die hard Braves fan, I can't see how your statement makes any sense. I would much rather my team win rather than another team lose. :-°


I agree. I don't understand how that's possible if you're truly a die-hard fan. You'd rather see the Boston Red Sox beat the Yankees in the ALCS than see your Braves win the World Series?
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:40 pm

kentx12 wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:
2nite was the greatest sports moment of my lifetime. (Easily beating out Luis Gonzalez's WS winning hit off Rivera).

I was a Red Sox fan for 7 games ;-D



I agree with this. I am a die hard Braves fan but the Sox beating tha Yankees made me happier than than I was when the Braves won the WS...


I agree 100%. I'm happier the Yankees lost in the fashion they did than I'd be if the Cubs won the Series as well (or as disappointed when the Cubs lost last year).

I really don't think I'll see a better moment in my sports lifetime than this last series.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 955
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Aug. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at Miami
(12:40 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Toronto at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
NY Mets at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Houston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Arizona at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
LA Angels at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Francisco at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact