TRANS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

TRANS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:17 am

I'm also clueless as to why Pedro got in. Made and still makes no sense. Best of luck to them, although I still think and hope the Cards will take it all.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:45 am

blankman wrote:I'm also clueless as to why Pedro got in. Made and still makes no sense.

I don't know either. I wouldn't have brought him in.

One thing that did cross my mind though.............

Bringing in Pedro added extra pressure to the Yanks. Think about it.

#1---They had already blown a 3 game to 0 lead. Something that had never been done.

#2---The Sox had already made history off the Yanks, and had a shot at putting the nail in the coffin on the comeback.

#3---They were down big in the deciding game.

#4---No telling what Steinbrenner had said or done at that point.

#5---Having to face old George if they lost.

#6---By bringing in Pedro, the crowd now wanted to see the Yanks rack him up.

Is it possible that the Yankees tried too hard due to all the pressure? By bringing in Pedro, it could have only added to the pressure. Even the media had said that the Yankees were pulling the biggest choke job in history. Quite a bit of pressure to perform.

Now they are professionals and supposed to be able to play through that, but I don't think anyone can say it would have been easy to perform at their best level given the circumstances and expectations put on them.

Just a random thought that popped into my head. Probably way off base, but it does make a bit of sense.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: TRANS

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:43 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Congrats on a nice series win by the Sox. I congratulate you. ;-D

I do have 1 question, though. Why did Little, I mean Francona, take Lowe out of the game?? He had a 1-hitter going. :-?

Either way, best of luck. ;-D

Just saw this. I say it's because Lowe was pitching on two--two!, two!--days rest. He had only thrown 69, but you don't want to hurt the guy. Man, was his sinker working.

Also: Francona was brought in to be the anti-Little. After the mini-Pedro debacle against the Yankees at the end of the year, he's going to make sure he is proactive when pulling his pitchers--something Torre usually excells at.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:48 pm

I meant to say thanks, by the way.

Look, bringing in Pedro wasn't a great idea, but at the time I had no problem with it.

Our bullpen was hurting. Timlin and Embree had pitched a ton. Foulke was likely not available--he threw 100 pitches over three days. You don't want to ruin a guys career. We had no adequate bridge to Timlin. Arroyo could have gone, sure, but I think Francona was right, you don't want to put the season at that time in the hands of your second tier pitchers (Lescanic, Mendoza, etc.)... you have to win NOW.

You can't play today's game for tomorrow, when there might not be one.

I had no problem with it, although as he started to get hit around, I thought they should pull him. But he got out of it, and Bellhorn shut up the crowd.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:00 pm

I feel good for the true fans such as yourself. I can do without the bandwagoners that just want them to win because they are against the Yankees. Rule of thumb........If you can't name at least 7-8 players on the team, maybe you shouldn't be rooting for them. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:04 pm

Hey, I'm a bandwagon fan rooting for the Sox since they were going against the Yankees. Plus, they've got that whole underdog thing working, the amazing comeback, Schilling's superman impression, and if I have to hear any more about a "curse" I'll kill someone.

Congrats to the Sox, and 90% of America is rooting for you guys.

(Of course, I'm pretty sure I can name 20-25 guys on the team, so you might not be talking about me.)
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:06 pm

For what it's worth, I could name everyone on the 25-man roster, and nearly everyone on the 45-man.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:06 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Hey, I'm a bandwagon fan rooting for the Sox since they were going against the Yankees. Plus, they've got that whole underdog thing working, the amazing comeback, Schilling's superman impression, and if I have to hear any more about a "curse" I'll kill someone.

(Of course, I'm pretty sure I can name 20-25 guys on the team, so you might not be talking about me.)

I'm not and let me clarify. Cheering for them is fine. Taking out ad space and acting like you are a lifer is a bit much, IMHO. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:06 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:Hey, I'm a bandwagon fan rooting for the Sox since they were going against the Yankees. Plus, they've got that whole underdog thing working, the amazing comeback, Schilling's superman impression, and if I have to hear any more about a "curse" I'll kill someone.

I'm not and let me clarify. Cheering for them is fine. Taking out ad space and acting like you are a lifer is a bit much, IMHO. :-°

Ad space?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:07 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:For what it's worth, I could name everyone on the 25-man roster, and nearly everyone on the 45-man.

As could I. :-)
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers