TRANS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

TRANS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

TRANS

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:58 am

Congrats on a nice series win by the Sox. I congratulate you. ;-D

I do have 1 question, though. Why did Little, I mean Francona, take Lowe out of the game?? He had a 1-hitter going. :-?

Either way, best of luck. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: TRANS

Postby nsulham » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:07 am

Lofunzo wrote:Congrats on a nice series win by the Sox. I congratulate you. ;-D

I do have 1 question, though. Why did Little, I mean Francona, take Lowe out of the game?? He had a 1-hitter going. :-?

Either way, best of luck. ;-D

I know this is addressed to Trans but I figured I'd throw my .02 in anyways.

Tito is a player's manager. With an 8-1 lead, MY GUESS is that he wanted to give Pedro a chance at redemption. If Pedro goes in with an 8-1 lead and drives the final nail in the coffin, he gets the final laugh over some of the "Who's Your Daddy" nonsense.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ukrneal » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:15 am

Probably because he pitched in game 4 and was pitching on three days rest.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:58 am

Lofunzo: i know it wasn't addressed to me but thanks for the congrats and the good luck wishes. Classy post, and much appreciated. Now on to your disscussion.....

let me preface this by saying i may be the ONLY redsox fan in the world willing to admit i agreed with Grady's decision to keep pedro in last year,perhaps not THAT long ,,,,,,, but that is another discussion entirely.......

As for this i have NO explanation for it. Maybe there is an explanation we dont know about....such as lowe hurt or that was the script or whatever. Even then, up 8-1 you change the script a bit!!!!

To me it was one of THE WORST coaching moves i have ever seen it just didnt end up killing us.

A)Lowe was cruising, at least make him give up a hit first or show SOME sign of tiring.

B)if you ARE going to go to another pitcher why on earth pedro unless it is do or die.....4-2 lead i can see it.....8-4 and needing to stop a rally???? i can see it........but 8-1 and needing a solid starter Saturday? baaaaad move.

C)You imMEDIATELY get the crowd back into it by bringing him in. If you bring in someone else, they get a few hits, crowd is back into it and THEN you bring in Pedro okay....but why get them back into it without making them earn a reason to first?

To me, this move was INFINITELY worse than Grady little's. OBVIOUSLY the outcome was different and therefore there will be no outcry on it but man i still dont get it. This was the kind of move that Yankee miracles and REdsox collapses have been made of in the past. The ONLY difference is we had a biggggg cushion so we got away with it. HORRRRRRIBLE move

okay im climbing off my soapbox

Just my 2 cents worth ,,,,i know i know, i owe you change,,,,

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby perlick29 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:35 pm

good post and nice to hear from red sox fan Incogkneedough. ;-D
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:33 pm

i agree with you incognee

i think it was an awful move. i started havcing nightmares to last year when pedro started giving up double after double

it worked out fine this time but ocme on, lowe had 69 pitches. 69!!! hed showed no signs of tiring and we did havea cushion. if you wanna bring in someone, maybe myers or leskinic who we dont need to start on saturday. plus yeah, the crows was dead b4 it. awful move in my mind, maybe there was some reason behind it, i just dont see it

luckily, it worked ouit
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Bloody Nipples » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:07 am

When I saw Pedro coming in the game, I was ecstatic. As a Yankees fan, I was overjoyed. He was the one pitcher who would actually get the crowd excited when brought in. Didnt Francona know the history and the "daddy" chant thing? Of course bringing in Pedro would fire up the Yanks and the fans! When he came in, I said, "he always blows it; always." And I was right. Unfortunately the Sox had a huge lead so they could take Pedro giving up 2 runs, but he definitely sucked out there. What a bone-head decision by Francona.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:10 am

I don't agree with bringing him in because you didn't need to and it seemed like it was just to run it in. I would much rather have a rested Pedro for game 1 of the WS rather than a little dancing in NY. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:21 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:. He was the one pitcher who would actually get the crowd excited when brought in. Didnt Francona know the history and the "daddy" chant thing? Of course bringing in Pedro would fire up the Yanks and the fans!

that was the worst part in my mind. here yankee staduim is very quiet, the crowds been taken out, i think the sox fans were louder. he comes in and suddenly the crowd is alive :-[

that and the fact that they needed him on saturday
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:29 am

People say that Torre isn't a great manager and maybe they're right. Maybe there is nothing to managing an AL team. But I don't think he would have ever brought Pedro in at that moment. That was just plain stupid.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers