Historical Fantasy Baseball draft stuff... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Historical Fantasy Baseball draft stuff...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LCBOY » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:02 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:How is the scoring going to work? I was under the impression that the simulation worked like a real baseball game was being played. But with the roster setup you suggested it looks more like a fantasy team setup.

I thought we need to have a full roster. We can change out starters around. Plus, as I understand it there is a fatigue factor thus our regulars would need rest.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadxor » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:20 pm

i'm confused. let's say that everyone has a super-stud pitcher go every game (which of course wont happen but just go along with it) then the stats should determine low scoring games since it'll be ace versus ace. therefore, how does babe ruth and barry bonds hit 60 homers? we'll have a shitload of guys hitting 40+ homers, way above the average. the league ERA should be above 4.00, which won't be possible if we all have studs

i'm stupid, so please explain
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:27 pm

chadxor wrote:i'm confused. let's say that everyone has a super-stud pitcher go every game (which of course wont happen but just go along with it) then the stats should determine low scoring games since it'll be ace versus ace. therefore, how does babe ruth and barry bonds hit 60 homers? we'll have a shitload of guys hitting 40+ homers, way above the average. the league ERA should be above 4.00, which won't be possible if we all have studs

i'm stupid, so please explain

The league will create its own average. Batters take a hit in the hitting categories and pitchers give up more runs than they normally would because they are facing better-than-All Star teams. Here is a set of statistics that were ran a while ago. The league batting average was .286, the league ERA was 5.85. There were only 4 hitters who averaged more than 40 HR over the 10 year span and only 4 pitchers who had an ERA of less than 4 in the same span.

So far most people have expressed interest in playing under the the mid-1980's run enviornment which will shift more of the power to the pitchers than the 1994 enviornment those games were simulated under.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby chadxor » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:01 pm

thanks tavaliciousness. i get it now
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:32 am

Can we choose to offer our players illegal supplements that perhaps cannot be detected by drug testing in our fictional world? And if we get caught...well, we get caught...maybe we can put a small % chance of getting caught into the randomizer. My boys want the cream! I've hired BALCO as my official supplementer. J/K... ;-)
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ukrneal » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:53 am

Tavish - I have another question. If we pick players that played fewer games in a year, will we be penalized?

Example: A few years Ivan Rodriguez was putting up just monster numbers for a catcher, but got hurt about halfway through the year. If I pick that year for him, would his numbers be extended to represent a full year in the simulation? In other words, if he had maintained that level for the second half, he might have roughly doubled his numbers. How does the simulation deal with this?
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GiantFan666 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:12 pm

Just my .02 the individual season to be used... I say go with the randomizer, but throw out a player's best season as well as their worst, that way it keeps a lot of the headaches out of the equation of having people challenge the season picked if they have Willie Mays and get the 1973 NY Mets Mays or (insert player's name here)
(insert year) season
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Tavish » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:32 pm

ukrneal wrote:Tavish - I have another question. If we pick players that played fewer games in a year, will we be penalized?

Example: A few years Ivan Rodriguez was putting up just monster numbers for a catcher, but got hurt about halfway through the year. If I pick that year for him, would his numbers be extended to represent a full year in the simulation? In other words, if he had maintained that level for the second half, he might have roughly doubled his numbers. How does the simulation deal with this?

It turns every stat into a rate stat (singles/PA, 2b/PA, K/PA, etc) so by design it doesn't care wether the player played 160 games or 16 or if he hit 50 or 5 HR, only how many PA it took them to do so. Its one reason why I suggested using an average of the 4 or 5 best seasons of a player's career. It automatically removes any player who had a short career or is just starting a career. It makes those who had more peak seasons the more valuable selection over those with 2 or 3 good years.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Arlo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:09 pm

Perhaps it's time to shift this discussion to the Historical Draft's new digs... :-)

edit my Mad to fix the url.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers