Is anybody worried about Oswalt's innings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is anybody worried about Oswalt's innings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is anybody worried about Oswalt's innings?

Postby gizmo05 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:23 pm

In 2002 he pitched 233 innings and came back the next year and got hurt.

This year he pitched 237 innings and now is pitching a crapload in the playoffs.

I'm worried that if I keep him as my only keeper pitcher over Zambrano or Pedro that he will get hurt...any thoughts?
gizmo05
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:34 pm

Well Pedro always seems to take a few games off with injury, and Zambrano (provided it's Carlos) has pitched 214 and 209 innings the last two years.

I wouldn't bee too worried about Oswalt's workload.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LBJackal » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:47 pm

It's hard to say whether he'll be healthy or not. It was his groin before (he seems more and more like a right-handed Billy Wagner every year) but he had it sugically repaired and apparently he's OK now. Groin injuries never seem to go away though.

That said, I'd keep Zambrano over him anyway. I see less injury risk, and Zam was better the past 2 years. He's also (supposedly) 4 years younger. Pedro would be #3 on the list for sure. He took a big dive this year.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:16 pm

i would not worry about oswalts innings pitched at all.....

but wow you either have a stud team, or you are not allowed to keep many players to be throwing zambrano and pedro back.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:10 pm

I think he will be 1 of the best pitchers in fantasy next year. He was a stud this year and I would keep him over the 2 you mentioned.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pedantic » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:12 pm

kentx12 wrote:I think he will be 1 of the best pitchers in fantasy next year. He was a stud this year and I would keep him over the 2 you mentioned.

I wholeheartedly agree. ;-D He was one of my few picks that panned out this year (albeit slowly).
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:15 pm

Zambrano's got the best stuff of the three and I'd keep him over Pedro and Oswalt, but (this may just be me) I've never felt comfortable with him on my fantasy team. He seems to get to worked up when he gets in a tough spot, and although he puts up great numbers by years end that temper or whatever you want to call it may come up and get him bad eventually if he can't control it. Perhaps I'm nit-picking here, but most of the elite pitchers don't seem to react like that, I don't know, maybe it's just his young age showing. That being said I'd try to keep Oswalt and Zambrano but both are pretty equal IMO as far as fantasy value with an edge to Zambrano because of the age. On a side note, while watching the HOU/STL series this weekend, they were talking about how Houston may not be as good next year due to FA and Clemens possibly leaving etc. Does this affect Oswalt's value in any way do you think? :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:23 pm

if i'm worried about oswalt's workload...not as much as i was all season with alou leaving schmidt out on the mound after pitch number 142 :-o
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby chadxor » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:25 pm

i don't see beltran returning and that lineup isn't getting any younger (well, they're past old). that's a good point. i don't see very much run support for him at this point and time, but i haven't done any research or anything.
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:57 am

I'd keep Oswalt over Zambrano. And the only way I consider Pedro is if he ends up in LA.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers