not sure where this goes... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

not sure where this goes...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

not sure where this goes...

Postby chadxor » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:13 pm

but could someone explain to me a couple good ways to run a dynasty league? we're starting a ten team league early next year, free yahoo, al and nl. i'd like for it to be a success and to implement the best rules possible. any suggestions?

first off, how should i deal with rookies in the first draft? should i have two separate drafts, one for current MLB players and one for rookies yet to be called up? i know a common way of dealing with this is if a player is brought up and you put him on your roster, then he can't go back to the rookie roster.

what's a good way to define who can go on the rookie roster initially? maybe a rookie by league standards, regardless if he saw playing time (upton)? or just a player who has never had a major league AB?

i think alot of people would be interested in the specifics also. thankso foro elo helpo senor...os
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:19 pm

Here are a couple of links that might be helpful:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72115&highlight=dynasty+rules

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61560&highlight=dynasty+rules

I know there are other links around here. I'll see what I can dig up. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby chadxor » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:45 am

thank you, exactly what i needed. should have done a search first.
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:15 am

chadxor wrote:thank you, exactly what i needed. should have done a search first.

No problem at all. ;-D

I know there are more threads about league rules, setting up leagues, etc. Enjoy! :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:20 pm

I'm in a dynasty league with cafe members, and I thought it would be helpful if you took a look at what we came up with for our league so far. It is important to note that we voted on everything that you see here, by rule of majority except for the trade review clause that we thought it was important and contested enough to get 100% agreement on. Hope this helps, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

League Scoring Type: Roto

Number of Owners: 14

Duration: Infinite

Number of players to keep: 10 the first year, 15 the next, full dynasty the next.

Minor Leagues: {READ CAREFULLY} Beginning the second season, we will have a minor league draft of 5 rounds following the regular draft. Thereafter, when a minor leaguer gets called up to the majors before September, his owner will have 14 days to add him to his major roster. If an owner fails to add his called-up minor leaguer to his major roster before the specified time, the minor leaguer will be available to the entire league (in order of WW priority; the commissioner will reinstate the player's WW status at the end of the two weeks).

If a minor leaguer is called up in September, then his owner will have 7 days to add him to his major roster. A September call-up is guaranteed to his owner for the next season both on his minor roster (given that he retains his rookie status) or on his major roster (meaning off-season callups are allowed), whether or not his owner calls him up during the specified time period. If not, he will not be able to call him up that year, but will not lose ownership of that player.

Only at the minor league draft of the following year can an owner replenish his minor league roster, NOT during the year. If one of your major-leaguer players gets sent down to the minors, you can either drop that player or drop one of your minor leaguers to make room for that player. If a previous minor leaguer gets sent back down during the specified picking-up period (either in or before September), but before he has been picked up, his owner does not have to pick him up. The trading of minor leaguers along with major leaguers is allowed.

Roster Positions: Hitters: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, RF, CF, LF, OF, Util, Util
Pitchers: SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P
Other: BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL

Trade Deadline: no deadline

Scoring Categories: traditional 5x5 - R, RBI, HR, SB, AVG, W, K, SV, WHIP, ERA

Draft Type: Semi-slow draft here in this forum. It will hopefully take only one day.

Draft Time: TBD, but will probably be one Sunday in March.

Transaction Limit: none

IP limit: 1450 innings

Games played limit: 162

Waivers: Two-day rolling priority, starting in reverse draft order.

Trading: ???

Trade review process: If there is a trade made and you feel that there might be collusion, make a post here (We will add a Trades thread when the time comes) and ask for both parties to justify their positions. After this process, if you feel their reasoning is bogus, and there was indeed collusion, vote to veto here. It takes 5 votoes to get is sent to the commissioner where he will further discuss with the owners their reasoning and make an informed decision on the matter. If 8 vetoes are collected (majority) it's vetoed outright. Vetoes are only to be used when there is clear collusion. If there is any sort of defensible claim (even if its misguided), veto power should not and must not be used.

NOTE: When we vote on the items in question, I will update this sticky. Every change we make to the league's format and rules will be posted here. If you have any questions about the league format, check here first, and if you dont find your answer here, post about it in the forum.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:37 pm

Hey pokerplaya, who is the commish for that league? he seems like a pretty cool guy! ;-)
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:15 pm

Oh...you mean that other guy who helps out a lot with the league...I think it's Soopersomething...jk Good job BN ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby chadxor » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:20 pm

that's perfect. i can model my league after that

superduperooperfoober
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:33 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:Hey pokerplaya, who is the commish for that league? he seems like a pretty cool guy! ;-)

:-o :-o

:-D :-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadxor » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:00 pm

so if i start the league this year, when it comes time for the MLB draft in july (or august?) what do we do? i take it that i have one draft to start things off for the league, which includes major and minor league players. then, with those 5 minor leaguers you're required to select, go on the roster (i'll have a website to keep track of who has who.) can you drop a minor leaguer and pick another up in the middle of the year (lets say one pitcher's arm falls off in a freak bathroom incident... can the person who owns him pick up another minor leaguer? or what if one person is struggling, can he drop and pick up another which in effect is like having two different teams?)?

what defines a minor leaguer in your league? it'll be tough with guys like howard who got a late call up but really still has his eligibility
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers