mig cabrera possibly gaining 3b eligibility back?????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

mig cabrera possibly gaining 3b eligibility back??????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

mig cabrera possibly gaining 3b eligibility back??????

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:15 pm

just saw this on espn

Mike Lowell's days as a Florida Marlin might be numbered.
The Marlins talked about ways to rid themselves of Lowell's $34 million contract, which he just signed last year, at the team's organizational meetings, a source told The Palm Beach Post.
Florida also could lose ace Carl Pavano and Armando Benitez to free agency this winter.
Lowell's contract is tied to the Marlins' ability to secure financing for a new ballpark by Nov. 1, for which they currently are $30 million short.
If Florida finds the financing, the final three years of Lowell's deal become guaranteed. If the Marlins don't, then the All-Star third baseman would hold a $7.5 million option to return to the club in 2005 or he can file for free agency anytime between Nov. 1 and Nov. 6.
If Florida can't secure financing and Lowell does return, the club could trade him at any time next season. The last two years of Lowell's deal, worth $8 million each, would be erased.
A source told The Post that Lowell is ready to test free agency, although he grew up in Miami.
If the Marlins trade Lowell, they would move Miguel Cabrera to third base, which is his natural position, and search for a left fielder at baseball's winter meetings.

Lowell, a career .277 hitter, batted .293 last season with 27 home runs and 85 RBI.

this will definitely be something to watch considering that nov 1 deadline......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadxor » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:19 pm

this'll be good for miggy. he was a terrible fielder in right field i believe, and i think he can relax more at third. plus, he'll have that extra eligibilty which'll be nice. only problem is that it takes away the main pop behind him in the lineup, which is a rather significant one.
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:31 pm

If this happens, I'll have Cabrera, Mora, and Chipper all eligible for 3B next season.

Time to do a little shopping :-D

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby LBJackal » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:01 pm

3B is stacked...... if not for some IF's qualifying at OF still, OF might actually be more shallow than 3B. OF, 3B, and 1B are about even IMO. Even more so if Lowell ends up playing 1B next year (which is likely to happen).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:04 pm

that's good news for miggy's owners, and for most fantasy players. having cabrera eligible for OF and 3B gives people more options, which can also mean more trades...

now we just have to watch if kearns will start playing 3B also...3B is getting deeper and deeper...
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Zito is God » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:34 pm

I've been extremely suprised how in one year 3rd went from a scarse position to a position stacked with quality players. It would help, but I wouldn't get too excited, I am more worried about which big bat Florida plans on bringing in (if any) in order to fill in for Lowell's absense. I wonder if Glaus would be cheaper then Lowell? :-?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby chadxor » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:37 pm

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
As 3B 34 109 15 33 11 0 4 25 10 29 0 0 .303 .372 .514 .886
As LF 55 204 23 51 10 3 8 37 15 54 0 2 .250 .300 .446 .746

i thought that this was interesting. his OBP and most major stats skyrocketed when playing 3b
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:58 pm

Zito is God wrote:I've been extremely suprised how in one year 3rd went from a scarse position to a position stacked with quality players. It would help, but I wouldn't get too excited, I am more worried about which big bat Florida plans on bringing in (if any) in order to fill in for Lowell's absense. I wonder if Glaus would be cheaper then Lowell? :-?

You really think that Glaus will demand less than Lowell? :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Zito is God » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:12 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I've been extremely suprised how in one year 3rd went from a scarse position to a position stacked with quality players. It would help, but I wouldn't get too excited, I am more worried about which big bat Florida plans on bringing in (if any) in order to fill in for Lowell's absense. I wonder if Glaus would be cheaper then Lowell? :-?

You really think that Glaus will demand less than Lowell? :-?

I don't know, thats why I said "I wonder".

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:27 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:now we just have to watch if kearns will start playing 3B also...3B is getting deeper and deeper...

Here's a thread about Kearns playing 3B. Click Me!

3B just keeps getting deeper and deeper. A few more people move over there, and 3B will be the last thing drafted for most teams. Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers