Seems like it gets worse for Bonds... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Seems like it gets worse for Bonds...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Seems like it gets worse for Bonds...

Postby DominicanLou » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:26 pm

There is supposedly a tape recording where Bond's trainer admits he used steroids. He also says that through connections, he would know exactly when Bonds would be tested. :-o
Not good, not good at all.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1903019
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Seems like it gets worse for Bonds...

Postby MikeeDee » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:58 pm

DominicanLou wrote:There is supposedly a tape recording where Bond's trainer admits he used steroids. He also says that through connections, he would know exactly when Bonds would be tested. :-o
Not good, not good at all.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1903019

Surely not good, but I thought we'd passed the point in the discussion where we were trying to figure out if people are using or not. The question is more: should something be done and if so, how and what?
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:12 pm

I don't think there's anything you can do except increase testing today and create a system that works. As far as going back and doing anything you can't. Some people will always asterisk Ruth's accomplishments because he played in a segregated baseball, likewise no matter how they handle it Mac and Bonds will always have that asterisk next to their accomplishments.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:54 pm

I agree they shouldn't go back and suspend/punish anyone for what was done in the past if it was within the rules at the time it was done as in the case of McGwire and others. That being said there really isn't a viable option for testing now because the producers of steroids are always one step ahead of the testing in making them undetectable. I'm not really sure what baseball can do about it. :-/
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:02 pm

JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:03 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I agree they shouldn't go back and suspend/punish anyone for what was done in the past if it was within the rules at the time it was done as in the case of McGwire and others. That being said there really isn't a viable option for testing now because the producers of steroids are always one step ahead of the testing in making them undetectable. I'm not really sure what baseball can do about it. :-/

;-D i agree with you as well.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:35 pm

Image -------> Image

Look at that cranium and tell me he is innocent.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:56 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I agree they shouldn't go back and suspend/punish anyone for what was done in the past if it was within the rules at the time it was done as in the case of McGwire and others. That being said there really isn't a viable option for testing now because the producers of steroids are always one step ahead of the testing in making them undetectable. I'm not really sure what baseball can do about it. :-/

Yep, as far as I know there weren't rules against playing baseball on roids until last year. It was illegal in the US, but I don't think specific rules or penalties were implemented in MLB until last year. As long as Bonds hasn't failed a test, there's nothing MLB can do about it.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DominicanLou » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:32 pm

LBJackal wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

Yep, as far as I know there weren't rules against playing baseball on roids until last year. It was illegal in the US, but I don't think specific rules or penalties were implemented in MLB until last year. As long as Bonds hasn't failed a test, there's nothing MLB can do about it.

I know that were no rules against using steroids, but any accomplishment achieved while using them is tainted in my opinion. I think that if it is confirmed that Bonds used steroids, his homerun record will never seem like that great an accomplishment. Much like Michael Strahan's sack record, which was set when Favre took a dive, this record this always have a hint of sarcasm whenever someone talks about it.
Don't get me wrong, I still think that Bonds is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, hitter of our time. Steroids do not help in picking up a baseball that is travelling 95 MPH with movement on it, but they do help in hitting the ball out of the park.

His record is much like the the Cinncinnati Reds winning the World Series in 1919, the year of the Black Sox scandal. Yes they did win it, but it is not what is talked about when that series is brought up
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby so0perspam » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:36 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Image -------> Image

Look at that cranium and tell me he is innocent.

Ummm, so are steroids supposed to like make your brain or skull bigger???? I must be like missing something...

And if it does then don't tell Rico because he might be tempted then I wouldn't be laugh at his posts.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers