Indians decline Wickman's option for next year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Indians decline Wickman's option for next year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:15 am

RIske proved to be a complete mess as a closer and looks like one of those guys who will be a solid set up man, but that is it (see LaTroy Hawkins). I can't imagine that they are even considering an internal solution.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:58 am

eftda wrote:I doubt if the Tribe uses a closer from within. Didn't work too well for SF (Did for Atlanta and HOU/A's).. but its a big riske...er risk to make. ;-)

If I remember correctly, back in the 1st half, the tribe blew like 8 games because they didn't have a closer. Bullpen problems. The tribe will get a closer this winter (maybe not a good one because of their cash issues).

As a tribe fan I personaly would like them to go after the cheaper guys like Jorge Julio (BAL expressed intrest in trading him). Arthur Rhodes? Valverde? I would love to get Juan Cruz in a deal as well. Mesa? There are plenty of mediocre optuions, if they aren't willing to spend the money. If Shapiro decides that thats the way to go then Benitez is coming to town, Percival is a great option as well but his injury prone body gets me worried.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:26 pm

Lugo is a SS... :-?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:46 pm

I think he's confusing his Julios :-D

And I don't know about Juan Cruz. Would you want him as a closer? Guys like him with no control rarely do well as closers. Betancourt is a much better option than him. His K/BB is very good and he doesn't allow a lot of HR's. He didn't do so well the first time around, but it was his first full season. He improved a lot from his partial 2003 season, despite the higher ERA. However getting a FA closer and letting Betancourt setup this year would be a good option. If Julio, Cruz, or Rhodes are the FA closer they get, they're in a worse situation IMO. Riske and Betancourt are better than all 3 of those guys. As long as Riske doesn't have another 2004. His K/BB was cut in half, from over 4 in 2003 to under 2 in 2004. That has to change.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:32 pm

I've always been a fan of Julio and his mid 90s fastball. His control is suspect at times but except for those elite 10 closers whos isn't? Yankees should go get Farnsworth, it'd give the fans something to cheer about: When up 5 or more runs bringing in Farnsworth to nail batters.

Seriously though i have always liked Fransworth and believe that if he can mentally get in the game he could be a top 10 closer in the future, but he never got the chance. A psychologist may be needed.

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:04 pm

Yeah I like Farnsworth too..... he walks too many though. If people like him would just focus on pitching and not piling up K's and BB's they'd be a lot better.

If I was the Indians I'd go out and get either a good closer (Percival, Benitez, Mantei) and if not don't settle for abad closer, get a good RP who isn't a closer, maybe somebody like Al Levine, Scott Williamson, or Ben Weber (A lot of times closers aren't good RP's, just a team's best option, ie: Billy Koch, Mike Williams, Jorge Julio).

If they don't end up with a proven closer there's no reason to settle for bad one IMO. Take a chance on another RP. Or go from within again, and let Betancourt have a chance ;-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:16 pm

I would actually LOVE to get Williamson as our team closer for next year, he had great success with the Reds. ;-D

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j7 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:19 pm

i agree about Betancourt. he had 76 k's / 18 bb's in 66.2 ip's and allowed 7 hr's. i think that rough stretch as closer was because of an arm injury.. he landed on the DL and finished strong afterwards

but i see the Indians signing somebody too.. they let go of Vizquel to save for the FA market, but they need STARTING PITCHING dont they?
j7
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers