I know it won't be settled, but.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I know it won't be settled, but....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I know it won't be settled, but....

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:35 pm

I know this has been argued here and elsewhere, but I keep hearing during the STL/HOU series that Pujols is the one player you would want to start a franchise around. While he is definitely one of only two IMO, why doesn't Beltran get the same thing? Is .330 40-45HR's 120 RBI's that much better than a switch htting, .300, the only real 40-40 threat, and gold glove caliber defense in CF? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I almost never hear anyone talk about Beltran in the "start a franchise" discussion, at least not nearly as much as Pujols. This is coming from the biggest Cardinal homer in the world, so am I way out in left field on this one? :-o Am I just being overly influenced by his performace in the post season? :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Baseballer02 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:36 pm

I think you're missing the fact that Beltran wasn't a .300 hitter this year, and Pujols is younger as well.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:48 pm

Who would you rather build a franchise around; Andre Dawson or Joe DiMaggio?
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LCBOY » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:04 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Who would you rather build a franchise around; Andre Dawson or Joe DiMaggio?

Come on now. Pujols is a little better than Dawson...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:05 pm

Beltran - 27, Career OBP .353, SLG .490

Pujols - 24, Career OBP .413, SLG .624

Don't get me wrong Beltran is a great player. His SB make up for some of the difference in SLG and he plays great defense. Pujols is younger, a better hitter and has done it while playing 3B, LF and 1B. Plus he has really turned into a great defense 1B this last year. There is no one else that I would want if I am starting a team from scratch.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby LCBOY » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:14 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Beltran - 27, Career OBP .353, SLG .490

Pujols - 24, Career OBP .413, SLG .624

Don't get me wrong Beltran is a great player. His SB make up for some of the difference in SLG and he plays great defense. Pujols is younger, a better hitter and has done it while playing 3B, LF and 1B. Plus he has really turned into a great defense 1B this last year. There is no one else that I would want if I am starting a team from scratch.

Pujols a "great defensive 1B"? He's not exactly J.T Snow or Keith Hernandez with the glove. However, Pujols (and close behind Manny) is the best hitter not named Barry Bonds. I guess the question is does Beltran's edge in speed and defense close the gap between their offense?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dannahann » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:15 pm

Either would be an excellent player to build around, but I concur with most, that you Cards fan have the top dog. If Pujols really is that young he's consistantly putting up numbers that rival the all time greatest players in baseball's history. Stolen bases are more valuable to fantasy teams than they are to MLB teams in this era of big offenses. Yes it's true that ideally, you'd want your franchise player to be a difference maker at a crucial posistion in the field. Beltran shines in CF, but Pujols is no slouch with the leather and he's proven he can play many positions. That allows flexibilty to continue to build that franchise around him, even if it means adding a stud at 1B and shifting Pujols to 3B or a corner OF posn.
Last edited by dannahann on Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:15 pm

Pujols has massive raw talent and an eye for hitting that I think is unparrelled for someone his age. The sky is the limit for him...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby LCBOY » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:23 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Pujols has massive raw talent and an eye for hitting that I think is unparrelled for someone his age. The sky is the limit for him...

Pujols is an awesome hitter. His start to his careerr is similar to Frank Thomas.

1990: .330/.454/.529 (60 games)
1991: .318/.553/.553
1992: .323/.439/.536
1993: .317/.426/.607
1994: .353/.487/.729
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:33 pm

If I were starting a franchise the top 3 on my board would be in this order:

1. Albert Pujols
2. Alex Rodriguez
3. Carlos Beltran

Note: This is if I were to pick a hitter. Unless I had the number 1 pick, or possibly the number 2, my first rounder would probably be a pitcher whether it be Prior, Santana etc..
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers