The most lame piece of "conventional baseball wisdom"? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The most lame piece of "conventional baseball wisdom"?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:04 pm

LCBOY wrote:
Melo255 wrote:Not to get back to the original subject or anything but Tim Wakefield just finished his 10th regular season with the Red Sox.

Didn't Wakefield begin his major league career with the Pirates?

Yes. 2 seasons in Pittsburgh, 1 season out of baseball, and then 10 seasons in Boston. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:46 pm

I tend to think that because of the way that the game is managed today there won't be many 300 game winners for a while at least. There seems to be (at least to me) an increasing number of Lima's in todays game, SP's starting 30-35 games a year and maybe getting 20-25 decisions. I'm not sure if there's any statistical evidence to back that claim though. I have to preface this next part by saying that the only baseball I've really known is from the late 90's on so take this for what it's worth. What about the five man rotation argument? How long has that been the predominant way rotations are set up? Did guys like Clemens and Maddux start their careers with four man rotations? :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Tavish » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:09 pm

How long has that been the predominant way rotations are set up? Did guys like Clemens and Maddux start their careers with four man rotations?

Both Clemens and Maddux came into the league well after the death of the 4-man rotation which was right around 1974-75.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:39 pm

Tavish wrote:
How long has that been the predominant way rotations are set up? Did guys like Clemens and Maddux start their careers with four man rotations?

Both Clemens and Maddux came into the league well after the death of the 4-man rotation which was right around 1974-75.

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby rotodog » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:16 pm

[quote="LCBOY"]Another pet peeve:

There will ENVER be another 300 game winner.

[b] 8-o ENVER?????? How did this go this long before anyone goofed on this??? :-) Sorry , I couldnt resist. I was taught to ENVER make fun of others. :-B One thing to consider . Over the past 20 years, Managers, teams, and gm's have had much better statistical data than ever before. This data showed how many pitches a guy can throw, which reliever has the best chance of getting the next guys out etc, etc. With this data, managers have become less GUT, and more STAT, resulting in fewer innings for starters.............UNLESS OF COURSE , YOUR NAME IS GRADY LITTLE!
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LCBOY » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:14 am

rotodog wrote:
LCBOY wrote:Another pet peeve:

There will ENVER be another 300 game winner.

[b] 8-o ENVER?????? How did this go this long before anyone goofed on this??? :-) Sorry , I couldnt resist. I was taught to ENVER make fun of others. :-B One thing to consider . Over the past 20 years, Managers, teams, and gm's have had much better statistical data than ever before. This data showed how many pitches a guy can throw, which reliever has the best chance of getting the next guys out etc, etc. With this data, managers have become less GUT, and more STAT, resulting in fewer innings for starters.............UNLESS OF COURSE , YOUR NAME IS GRADY LITTLE!

You got me!!!! :-B

I fixed the misspelling!!!! :-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers