ATTN TAVISH AND OTHER STAT JUNKIES - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ATTN TAVISH AND OTHER STAT JUNKIES

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ATTN TAVISH AND OTHER STAT JUNKIES

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:19 pm

All of the talk about the weather forecast in St. Louis tonight and in Boston over the weekend has me thinking. Can there be or has there ever been a rain-shortened playoff game?? Now, I know that they wouldn't want to do that but could they or would they just finish the game the next day if they had to?? I would think that they would finish the game whenever weather permitted, even if it was the next day.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:40 pm

I have no idea whether this has happened or not, but rules are rules, so why wouldn't a 5 inning rain shortened game in the playoffs count?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:46 pm

AFAIK games shortened games can count, there is no specific ruling that makes the postseason any different. Of course they will do everything possible to make sure the game is played out. The only games I can think of that were not played out were the 1912 and 1922 World Series games that were called due to darkness (only reason I remember those is because they ended as a tie :-t ).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:07 pm

Tavish wrote:AFAIK games shortened games can count, there is no specific ruling that makes the postseason any different. Of course they will do everything possible to make sure the game is played out. The only games I can think of that were not played out were the 1912 and 1922 World Series games that were called due to darkness (only reason I remember those is because they ended as a tie :-t ).

So are you saying to take the under when heavy rain is forecasted?? :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Viper8437 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:12 pm

i remeber a met game that was called due to fog :-D
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pgbridge2000 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:56 pm

I wouldn't think Selig would allow it to happen because of the All-Star game fiasco that happened. He'd lose his job in a heart-beat just by rioting fans, if he allowed umps to call a game without a postponement, especially these days when tickets to playoff and world series games can cost upwards $500 in resale, people would literally kill him if he allowed it to happen. I have a feeling he talks with the umpires before the playoffs start explaining that they don't end the game on any circumstances
There are 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
pgbridge2000
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MikeeDee » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:07 pm

Viper8437 wrote:i remeber a met game that was called due to fog :-D

In the postseason? I don't think a game was ever called because of rain in the postseason. One more reason not to play Fridays game was a good decision. Even though the decision was made way too late. I was already in the stadium. There was a game in 1912 (I believe) that was called because of darkness though.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers