Delgado for 2005 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delgado for 2005

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:10 am

raiders_umpire wrote:i imagine delgado will go around the 4th round or so...but that is still too early for me to take him.....i would have to pass on him for a couple more rounds....

yeah, i agree. he's just too good for people to forget him and let him slip past the 4th round, even though he had an awful first half. i think that regardless to where he plays he will put good numbers, if not inujred. i think that sexson might be a better option since he didn't play much this year and might be available after delgado is taken.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:22 pm

Injured players during the previous season have been a key for me in the past. Sexson and Maggs are 2 guys to consider. B-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby LBJackal » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:43 pm

Maggs will definately go cheaper than he would have if he was healthy this year.... but he's over-rated IMO. People had him near the first round last year! This is a 300-30-100-100 guy. He's not the 40 HR 25 SB guy he was before. He's Aubrey Huff, without 1B/3B eligibility. He's Jose Guillen, but with a team that doesn't hate him. He's extremely over-rated. He'll go later than he did last year.... but I still won't be taking him in any drafts.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:50 pm

LBJackal wrote:Maggs will definately go cheaper than he would have if he was healthy this year.... but he's over-rated IMO. People had him near the first round last year! This is a 300-30-100-100 guy. He's not the 40 HR 25 SB guy he was before. He's Aubrey Huff, without 1B/3B eligibility. He's Jose Guillen, but with a team that doesn't hate him. He's extremely over-rated. He'll go later than he did last year.... but I still won't be taking him in any drafts.

When healthy, he's better than Huff but I get your point. Maybe his value is still based on when he used to steal. Power numbers and injuries have curtailed that but he is still a nice player. I got him in the 4th round last year in my H2H league. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheAbreu » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:52 pm

While I hate Delgado's arrogance about his political views, he really helped me in the second half this season. He's amazingly consistant with the numbers, and depending on where he winds up, he could really do some damage. I think you can automatically could him in for 30 jacks and 100 RBIs though, even if he goes to LA. If he goes somewhere more condusive to hitting, expect 40 and 120.
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:59 pm

This is the guy that I assumed the Mets would lock in on. Of all the free agents this year he fills the biggest hole the Mets have.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:01 pm

I'll guess he ends up in Seattle and hits .260 35 HR and 100+ RBI.

I don't really see him as a sleeper, but a guy that will go too early given his hot 2nd half.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheAbreu » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:04 pm

You're right about Delgado filling the Mets needs. Yet, I've been reading that some Met fans want JT SNOW!!! Come on, he's totally a product of Bonds this year. He never hit like this before. You gotta go for consistancy. Delgado would be good for 35 at Shea and about 110-130 RBIs depending on whether Reyes and Matsui stayed healthy to set the table.

Mets could be underrated offensively next year if they just tie up some loose ends. Piazza and Floyd should be traded and Delgado should be signed. You get rid of 2 guys that are injury prone and at the tail end of their careers and get yourself a guy that's consistant and will be dependable.

A good 2005 lineup for Mets:
SS- Reyes
2B- Matsui
3B- Wright
1B- Delgado
CF- Cameron

C-???, Maybe Pierzynski, Maybe Still Piazza, Maybe Even Kendall
RF- Maybe Ordonez, Maybe Diaz
LF- Maybe Floyd, Maybe Diaz

Irregardless, with a few proper moves, the team can be a threat next year
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:09 pm

I think the most likely scenario at C for the Mets is a Piazza/Wilson platoon. They're trying but unless the Yankees want another DH I don't see them moving Piazza. He can't play a full season at C and he really can't play at 1B.

I'm not sure what Mets' fans want Snow but I'm certainly not one of them. I'd rather just give Brazell an opportunity with Phillips as a safety net if someone like Delgado can't be landed.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:10 pm

If the Mets were worried about the injury risks with Guerrero, I can't see them going after 2 more (Delgado and Maggs). Although, they have shocked us in the past. :-o
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers