Derek Jeter: A Good Fielder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Derek Jeter: A Good Fielder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeter

Postby baseballrich » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:30 pm

Forget all of the other stuff...look what happens in the post season. He is the MOST CLUTCH post season player EVER. This coming from an Orioles fan. During the regular season he is a top 50 player but during the post season he is the best going.
baseballrich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeter

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:55 pm

baseballrich wrote:Forget all of the other stuff...look what happens in the post season. He is the MOST CLUTCH post season player EVER. This coming from an Orioles fan. During the regular season he is a top 50 player but during the post season he is the best going.

Not this postseason. :-/
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:01 pm

baseballrich wrote:Forget all of the other stuff...look what happens in the post season. He is the MOST CLUTCH post season player EVER. This coming from an Orioles fan. During the regular season he is a top 50 player but during the post season he is the best going.

*sigh*

Derek Jeter career numbers:
Postseason Ave .314
Regular season Ave .315
Postseason OBP .385
Regular season OBP .385

And this doesn't include this year's dreadful performance. He plays about the same in the postseason as he does in the regular season. His numbers during the ALDS are great, his numbers in the (more pressure filled) ALCS and WS are way below his regular season numbers. He doesn't "turn it on" during the postseason. If you are talking about defensive numbers, they are practically the same as well.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby Tavish » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:06 pm

BTW welcome to the Cafe baseballrich. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:17 pm

Tavish wrote:

*sigh*

Derek Jeter career numbers:
Postseason Ave .314
Regular season Ave .315
Postseason OBP .385
Regular season OBP .385

And this doesn't include this year's dreadful performance. He plays about the same in the postseason as he does in the regular season. His numbers during the ALDS are great, his numbers in the (more pressure filled) ALCS and WS are way below his regular season numbers. He doesn't "turn it on" during the postseason. If you are talking about defensive numbers, they are practically the same as well.

I am a firm believer that for the most part, you are what you are. As for Jeter, it's not so much as calling him clutch. It's like with Bernie Williams. When they need a hit, I have a better feeling when either of them are up.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:49 pm

:-P I knew it was only a matter of time till someone would say that and make me lose my lunch. :~(

It's these kind of ridiculous MYTH statements why people attack Jeter. I don't believe in clutch in bb over extended periods. But even if i did, Jeter wouldn't be close to the best ever.

LO good to see you my friend. ;-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:17 am

HOOTIE wrote:

:-P I knew it was only a matter of time till someone would say that and make me lose my lunch. :~(

It's these kind of ridiculous MYTH statements why people attack Jeter. I don't believe in clutch in bb over extended periods. But even if i did, Jeter wouldn't be close to the best ever.

LO good to see you my friend. ;-D

Hootie.......Pleasure to see you. Based on the time.......Wouldn't you be losing your dinner?? :-D
Lofunzo

Jeter

Postby baseballrich » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:21 am

I am NOT just talking about total numbers. Jeter comes up big at the right moments...not just on offense but on defense as well. The play at the plate several years ago is as important (or more so) than any single or homer that he could hit. Stop only thinking of things as a fantasy player and take the entire game into perspective
baseballrich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby blankman » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:10 pm

baseballrich wrote:I am NOT just talking about total numbers. Jeter comes up big at the right moments...not just on offense but on defense as well. The play at the plate several years ago is as important (or more so) than any single or homer that he could hit. Stop only thinking of things as a fantasy player and take the entire game into perspective

Please do us all a favor and enter the word "Clutch" into the Search at the top of the page. You'll see tons of discussion about it. Naming a few great plays the Jeter made in the postseason does not make Jeter "clutch"; the reason he made those plays is simply because he is a great player, performing at his ability just as he does all season long. (And Derek Jeter is my favorite player). ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers