100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Derek Jeter: A Good Fielder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:13 pm

DK wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
nsulham wrote:I dunno, he didn't look great on that Millar broken-bat grounder 8-o

I was waiting for that. Tough play with the spin but definitely an error.

Took a weird hop but that has to be made like you said.

Jeter overall is looking positively amateurish this series. What's his average, .150? And now two errors?

Thanks for speaking too soon. ;-D
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:24 pm

:-t
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:57 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:Well that play wasn't too shabby. Backhanded and that jump-turn-throw to 2nd for the final out.

See, this is why people think Jeter is good defensively. He takes a play that most SS's would make look REALLY easy and turns it into something that looks spectacular. It was a slow, high bounce, a few feet to his right. Yeah the jump is great, but it was a very easy play and definately not neccesary (for most people, anyway).

I won't knock him on his hitting even though he's slumping, but I'll never accept that he's a good fielder. He was barely mediocre this regular season, and that's the best he's been in his career.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:04 pm

LBJackal wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:Well that play wasn't too shabby. Backhanded and that jump-turn-throw to 2nd for the final out.

See, this is why people think Jeter is good defensively. He takes a play that most SS's would make look REALLY easy and turns it into something that looks spectacular. It was a slow, high bounce, a few feet to his right. Yeah the jump is great, but it was a very easy play and definately not neccesary (for most people, anyway).

I won't knock him on his hitting even though he's slumping, but I'll never accept that he's a good fielder. He was barely mediocre this regular season, and that's the best he's been in his career.

I didn't say it was spectacular or anything, I just said it was a nice play, which it was.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:14 pm

LBJackal wrote:

You call people that like Jeter a homer but you are the complete opposite. You nitpick everything with him. If you are gonna get on Jeter for the jump throw, you better do the same with Cabrera. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:26 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:

I didn't say it was spectacular or anything, I just said it was a nice play, which it was.

I know, I'm not calling you a homer. But that play, and plays like it, are why people think Jeter is so great; he takes easy plays like that one clearly was, and makes them look difficult.

And Lo; I'm not anti-Jeter, I agree he's a very good player and part of why the Yankees are where they are. But he's a horrible shortstop. I'm just picking on him for the errors he's made this series, they aren't what makes him bad defensively. Usually he doesn't make many, so it's uncharacteristic for him. And I never said anything about Cabrera either; this year he was worse than Jeter.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:46 pm

perlick29 wrote:On the other hand there is only one SS I'd rather have on my "real" baseball team but he already plays for the Yankees at 3B. Jeter is a leader and a source of inspiration for the Yanks despite his D in years past. He's the captain on the team and I wouldn't have it be anyone else including AROD because at this point in their careers, Jeter knows winning more than AROD.

Better SS, AROD, Better C, Jeter. Both importantl to the team's success.

Jeter is a good player, and will make HOF for his bat at ss. But i don't buy he knows winning more then say Arod. Rings don't make a player better. Had Jeter been drafted by KC, would he know winning? Sojo got 4 rings. Does he know winning? If DJ knows winning so much, why did he hit 190 this postseason? And in the 01 WS in which NY lost, he hit 148.

Perhaps DJ has improved his defense. RF is too variable. ZR is the better gauge. Stats Inc. has people chart where every ball is hit. That's how they get ZF.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:50 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
perlick29 wrote:On the other hand there is only one SS I'd rather have on my "real" baseball team but he already plays for the Yankees at 3B. Jeter is a leader and a source of inspiration for the Yanks despite his D in years past. He's the captain on the team and I wouldn't have it be anyone else including AROD because at this point in their careers, Jeter knows winning more than AROD.

Better SS, AROD, Better C, Jeter. Both importantl to the team's success.

Jeter is a good player, and will make HOF for his bat at ss. But i don't buy he knows winning more then say Arod. Rings don't make a player better. Had Jeter been drafted by KC, would he know winning? Sojo got 4 rings. Does he know winning? If DJ knows winning so much, why did he hit 190 this postseason? And in the 01 WS in which NY lost, he hit 148.

Perhaps DJ has improved his defense. RF is too variable. ZR is the better gauge. Stats Inc. has people chart where every ball is hit. That's how they get ZF.

Hootie.......Glad to see you. We were starting to wonder whether you and Tavish were 1 in the same because you guys were never around at the same time. Kinda like a Clark Kent and Superman thing. :-D Either way, good to see you and good to see you use Sojo rather than who everyone else uses.......Enrique Wilson. People always claim that he has 4 rings as well when he has a whopping total of 0.

Take care. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:54 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:13 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:http://www.all-baseball.com/archives/015655.html

Read it. Learn it. Love it.

Frankly, the stat community's loathing can hardly hold a candle to the general media's excessive worship of a good player, who has happened to be in the right place at the right time. Put Jeter on the 1980s Yankees and he's a footnote. Put him on the 2000s Royals and he'd merit hardly a mention in the press.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers