Why are the same managers recycled over and over? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why are the same managers recycled over and over?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Surfs up » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:01 pm

I would also like to add that there isn't a salary cap in baseball. And until there is my feelings are if you can afford to spend the money tyhan why not? The Red Sox also could have had ARod last last but they blew it.The Yankees jumped all over it when they got a shot and it is PAYING off. I seem to remember they signed Manny for about 160 million and tried to dump him last off season. Red Sox fans always cry foul when it doesn't work out for them but when it does they don't say a word. I guess you just wouldn't be Red Sox fans if you didn't BITCH.Oh yeah boys and girls. Your season is over.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4778
(Past Year: 199)
Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zepfan » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:27 pm

LCBOY wrote:
So0peRsPam wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:The Yanks are just Steinbrenner and his money, they got nothing to do with their managing


Agreed....

They said the same thing about Casey Stengel. When he was hired to manage the Yankees in the late 40s the media thought he was a buffoon. Of course he went on to win 10 World Series titles with the Yankees. Of course it takes talent to win championships but to say that managers do nothing is silly.


Cito Gaston did practically nothing and won two world series. :-b
Image

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 1990
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 29 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ATECH » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:34 pm

I like how you didnt include Phil Garner, who failed twice, and then took a broke and beaten team to the playoffs.


Sorry I failed to mention Garner. However, as we have seen in the playoffs the Astros have won despite all of the managerial blunders that Garner has made. They are well documented and much talked about. Some teams are able to win despite their managers not because of them.
If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
Then You'll Always Have What You've Already Got.
ATECH
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 111
Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: It's Good Being First

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:39 pm

ATECH wrote:
I like how you didnt include Phil Garner, who failed twice, and then took a broke and beaten team to the playoffs.


Sorry I failed to mention Garner. However, as we have seen in the playoffs the Astros have won despite all of the managerial blunders that Garner has made. They are well documented and much talked about. Some teams are able to win despite their managers not because of them.


Agreed. ;-D
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby DK » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:35 pm

Surfs up wrote:I would also like to add that there isn't a salary cap in baseball. And until there is my feelings are if you can afford to spend the money tyhan why not? The Red Sox also could have had ARod last last but they blew it.The Yankees jumped all over it when they got a shot and it is PAYING off. I seem to remember they signed Manny for about 160 million and tried to dump him last off season. Red Sox fans always cry foul when it doesn't work out for them but when it does they don't say a word. I guess you just wouldn't be Red Sox fans if you didn't BITCH.Oh yeah boys and girls. Your season is over.


See, now there's an intelligent, well-thought out post. I wish more people like you were around. :-t
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:35 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
ATECH wrote:
I like how you didnt include Phil Garner, who failed twice, and then took a broke and beaten team to the playoffs.


Sorry I failed to mention Garner. However, as we have seen in the playoffs the Astros have won despite all of the managerial blunders that Garner has made. They are well documented and much talked about. Some teams are able to win despite their managers not because of them.


Agreed. ;-D
For some reason, I dont think their little run would have occured with Jimy Williams.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:57 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
ATECH wrote:
I like how you didnt include Phil Garner, who failed twice, and then took a broke and beaten team to the playoffs.


Sorry I failed to mention Garner. However, as we have seen in the playoffs the Astros have won despite all of the managerial blunders that Garner has made. They are well documented and much talked about. Some teams are able to win despite their managers not because of them.


Agreed. ;-D
For some reason, I dont think their little run would have occured with Jimy Williams.


Agreed again. ;-D
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby ATECH » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:22 pm

[/quote]For some reason, I dont think their little run would have occured with Jimy Williams.[/quote]


And somehow, I dont think any of us thought the hiring of Phil Garner was going to be the thing that put them over the top and turn them around. Could it be their run happened because Beltran played more than 10 games under Garner rather than Jimy Williams? If you can honestly say that Garner and his "Bowa mentality" is the reason the Astros made the run then more power to you, but you wont find many that agree with you.
Last edited by ATECH on Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
Then You'll Always Have What You've Already Got.
ATECH
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 111
Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: It's Good Being First

Postby wrveres » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:47 pm

ATECH wrote:Sorry I failed to mention Garner. However, as we have seen in the playoffs the Astros have won despite all of the managerial blunders that Garner has made. They are well documented and much talked about. Some teams are able to win despite their managers not because of them.


Agreed. ;-D[/quote]For some reason, I dont think their little run would have occured with Jimy Williams.[/quote]


And somehow, I dont think any of us thought the hiring of Phil Garner was going to be the thing that put them over the top and turn them around. Could it be their run happened because Beltran played more than 10 games under Garner rather than Jimy Williams? If you can honestly say that Garner and his "Bowa mentality" is the reason the Astros made the run then more power to you, but you wont find many that agree with you.[/quote]

I don't think it was so much hiring Phil Garner, but more the firing of Jimy. It allowed everbody to relax and actually play baseball. The team had so many expectations on them, and I am sure the fact that Jimy was ready to explode at any moment didn't help the situation either. Axing Jimy basically signified an end, and removed all the expectations on the team for this season.

Lo and behold, once they relaxed they started winning, and it has nothing to do with Garner. He just fills out the lineup card.

Actually the worst mistake the Astros can make this off-season is to offer Garner a long term deal ..IMO ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 734)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, scarnicease and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Sep. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact