Why are the same managers recycled over and over? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why are the same managers recycled over and over?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Surfs up » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:01 pm

I would also like to add that there isn't a salary cap in baseball. And until there is my feelings are if you can afford to spend the money tyhan why not? The Red Sox also could have had ARod last last but they blew it.The Yankees jumped all over it when they got a shot and it is PAYING off. I seem to remember they signed Manny for about 160 million and tried to dump him last off season. Red Sox fans always cry foul when it doesn't work out for them but when it does they don't say a word. I guess you just wouldn't be Red Sox fans if you didn't BITCH.Oh yeah boys and girls. Your season is over.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zepfan » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:27 pm

LCBOY wrote:
So0peRsPam wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:The Yanks are just Steinbrenner and his money, they got nothing to do with their managing

Agreed....

They said the same thing about Casey Stengel. When he was hired to manage the Yankees in the late 40s the media thought he was a buffoon. Of course he went on to win 10 World Series titles with the Yankees. Of course it takes talent to win championships but to say that managers do nothing is silly.

Cito Gaston did practically nothing and won two world series. :-b

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby ATECH » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:34 pm

I like how you didnt include Phil Garner, who failed twice, and then took a broke and beaten team to the playoffs.

Sorry I failed to mention Garner. However, as we have seen in the playoffs the Astros have won despite all of the managerial blunders that Garner has made. They are well documented and much talked about. Some teams are able to win despite their managers not because of them.
If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
Then You'll Always Have What You've Already Got.
ATECH
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:39 pm

ATECH wrote:
I like how you didnt include Phil Garner, who failed twice, and then took a broke and beaten team to the playoffs.

Sorry I failed to mention Garner. However, as we have seen in the playoffs the Astros have won despite all of the managerial blunders that Garner has made. They are well documented and much talked about. Some teams are able to win despite their managers not because of them.

Agreed. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby DK » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:35 pm

Surfs up wrote:I would also like to add that there isn't a salary cap in baseball. And until there is my feelings are if you can afford to spend the money tyhan why not? The Red Sox also could have had ARod last last but they blew it.The Yankees jumped all over it when they got a shot and it is PAYING off. I seem to remember they signed Manny for about 160 million and tried to dump him last off season. Red Sox fans always cry foul when it doesn't work out for them but when it does they don't say a word. I guess you just wouldn't be Red Sox fans if you didn't BITCH.Oh yeah boys and girls. Your season is over.

See, now there's an intelligent, well-thought out post. I wish more people like you were around. :-t
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:35 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
ATECH wrote:

Agreed. ;-D
For some reason, I dont think their little run would have occured with Jimy Williams.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:57 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
ATECH wrote:

Agreed. ;-D
For some reason, I dont think their little run would have occured with Jimy Williams.

Agreed again. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby ATECH » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:22 pm

[/quote]For some reason, I dont think their little run would have occured with Jimy Williams.[/quote]

And somehow, I dont think any of us thought the hiring of Phil Garner was going to be the thing that put them over the top and turn them around. Could it be their run happened because Beltran played more than 10 games under Garner rather than Jimy Williams? If you can honestly say that Garner and his "Bowa mentality" is the reason the Astros made the run then more power to you, but you wont find many that agree with you.
Last edited by ATECH on Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
Then You'll Always Have What You've Already Got.
ATECH
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:47 pm

ATECH wrote:Sorry I failed to mention Garner. However, as we have seen in the playoffs the Astros have won despite all of the managerial blunders that Garner has made. They are well documented and much talked about. Some teams are able to win despite their managers not because of them.

Agreed. ;-D[/quote]For some reason, I dont think their little run would have occured with Jimy Williams.[/quote]

And somehow, I dont think any of us thought the hiring of Phil Garner was going to be the thing that put them over the top and turn them around. Could it be their run happened because Beltran played more than 10 games under Garner rather than Jimy Williams? If you can honestly say that Garner and his "Bowa mentality" is the reason the Astros made the run then more power to you, but you wont find many that agree with you.[/quote]

I don't think it was so much hiring Phil Garner, but more the firing of Jimy. It allowed everbody to relax and actually play baseball. The team had so many expectations on them, and I am sure the fact that Jimy was ready to explode at any moment didn't help the situation either. Axing Jimy basically signified an end, and removed all the expectations on the team for this season.

Lo and behold, once they relaxed they started winning, and it has nothing to do with Garner. He just fills out the lineup card.

Actually the worst mistake the Astros can make this off-season is to offer Garner a long term deal ..IMO ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers