Why are the same managers recycled over and over? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why are the same managers recycled over and over?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rlee » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:28 am

First of all, I am NOY a Yankees fan - at all! But if you guys think that Torre has not had an effect on this team, I think you must be watching spaceball ... not baseball.

Look at the players that have thrived under his leadership: O'Neill, Brosius, Miguel Cairo, to name just a few. He has kept supersatrs like Jeter, Posada, B. Williams, Sheffield, A-Rod all going in the same direction.

Most of the years the Red Sox have been as talented as the Yankees and look what happens. Sure, the money Steinbrenner throws around has an incredibly huge impact, but I don't think the Yankees have as much success under someone else. Torre has an incredibly great knack for reading, understanding, and getting the most out of his players.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:36 am

I'm actually doing a study on the effect a manager has on his team's ability. However, I want to compile as much data as I can, so it will probably be a couple more months before I'm done.

It's a ton of research.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:49 pm

rlee wrote:First of all, I am NOY a Yankees fan - at all! But if you guys think that Torre has not had an effect on this team, I think you must be watching spaceball ... not baseball.

Look at the players that have thrived under his leadership: O'Neill, Brosius, Miguel Cairo, to name just a few. He has kept supersatrs like Jeter, Posada, B. Williams, Sheffield, A-Rod all going in the same direction.

Most of the years the Red Sox have been as talented as the Yankees and look what happens. Sure, the money Steinbrenner throws around has an incredibly huge impact, but I don't think the Yankees have as much success under someone else. Torre has an incredibly great knack for reading, understanding, and getting the most out of his players.

Sure all that may be well and good, but why did he have a losing record as a manager before he came to NY?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:24 pm

Anyone who thinks that Torre had no positive influence on the Yankees is nuts. He was the right guy for the job at the right time. Anyone who thinks differently has been paying no attention to them. If Showalter had stayed, I guarantee you that he would have probably won a title or 2 but definitely not 4. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby LCBOY » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:07 pm

So0peRsPam wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:The Yanks are just Steinbrenner and his money, they got nothing to do with their managing

Agreed....

They said the same thing about Casey Stengel. When he was hired to manage the Yankees in the late 40s the media thought he was a buffoon. Of course he went on to win 10 World Series titles with the Yankees. Of course it takes talent to win championships but to say that managers do nothing is silly.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Surfs up » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:18 pm

Red Sox fans will always the Yankees will out spend to win. How much have they spent the last couple of years on Schilling, Foulke, Manny, Damon. Money doesn't always assure you the WS . Just look at what the Marlins did. My feeling is if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. The Yankees end up signing players because the players KNOW they are commited to WINNING NOW! No I am not a Yankee fan. And Torre does get the most out of his players. Oh and by the way . How many managers have the Red Sox had in the last 6-7 years alone?Players partly because of leadership.What manager in recently memory have the Red Sox had that is a proven leader?Red Sox fans Don't cry about all the money the Yankees spend. You aren't far behind.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 192)

Postby NZF » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:33 pm

Torre has had a huge influence on the Yankees success since he has been at the helm. One of his greatest strengths is his man management skills and that is so vital when managing a team of superstars.

It is pure ignorance to suggest anyone could have got the same results as Torre, given the abundance of talent the Yankees have had at their disposal.

Larry Bowra is a great example of that to the other extreme.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:51 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:Torre has had a huge influence on the Yankees success since he has been at the helm. One of his greatest strengths is his man management skills and that is so vital when managing a team of superstars.

It is pure ignorance to suggest anyone could have got the same results as Torre, given the abundance of talent the Yankees have had at their disposal.

Larry Bowra is a great example of that to the other extreme.

Agreed. His calming influence in the dugout and clubhouse are often overlooked. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Rkiivs » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:31 pm

LBJackal wrote:What the hell has Torre done to help the Yankees win? Pedro's little midget friend could have won 4 WS with those lineups.

I think Torre has two things going for him: A) he manages the players good enough to win; B) he manages the players's personalities really, really well.

Yep, his managing skills can be overstated at times, but he manages the biggest payroll team successfully year after year in arguably THE premiere market AND works for Steinbrenner.

As I think back over his entire tenure, I can say that I'm not sure I would have stayed as long as him. At some point I might have had to tell George to bite me and I don't want to come back next year like Zim did.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:44 am

Rico The Retard wrote:The Yanks are just Steinbrenner and his money, they got nothing to do with their managing

Damn yankees and their money. Makes me wonder whos 2nd on the payroll and how many championships theyve won.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers