Why are the same managers recycled over and over? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why are the same managers recycled over and over?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why are the same managers recycled over and over?

Postby ATECH » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:52 am

I am amazed looking at all the headlines that the only managers that seemed to be mentioned have had at least 1 or 2 opportunities and failed. Alot of them have failed miserably.

Maybe it is just me but how come only 40 or so guys in the world seem to be qualified to manage a ball club. Granted some teams are the exception like the Tigers hiring of Trammell, but alot of other teams rehash the same people over and over.
If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
Then You'll Always Have What You've Already Got.
ATECH
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby roadrunner » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:57 am

so you wouldn't be interested in pedrique then?
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ATECH » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:21 pm

Come on roadrunner. Is Pedrique a name you think of with the rehashing of managers? I think not. Pedrique was just a 3rd base coach who was put in for mop up duty for another rehashed manager Brenly.

The names I am talking about are D. Baylor, J. Williams, B.Martinez, L. Bowa, T. Francona, G. Little, B. Valentine, J. Manuel.
If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
Then You'll Always Have What You've Already Got.
ATECH
College Coach
College Coach

Postby roadrunner » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:00 pm

the pedrique thing is nothing thing is the d-backs were dead coming out of the gate from spring. so it made no sence really to fire brenly in the 1st place, it sounds like there might not be enough good managers out there to manage every team. i mean down here they are talking to wally backman and mark grace that would be bringing in new names at this point don baylor seems like a good option in az
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:55 pm

To answer the orginal question, IMO it's because most onwers/GM's aren't willing to take a risk on new faces. If you're in the market for a new manager you're most likely not doing too hot so you want a proven (if somewhat sub-par) comodity to reassure the team and the fans.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:00 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:To answer the orginal question, IMO it's because most onwers/GM's aren't willing to take a risk on new faces. If you're in the market for a new manager you're most likely not doing too hot so you want a proven (if somewhat sub-par) comodity to reassure the team and the fans.

I would agree with that. Sports is a win-now business. Retreads also aren't always bad because the Yankees are Torre's 4th team, arent they?? :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby wrveres » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:23 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:To answer the orginal question, IMO it's because most onwers/GM's aren't willing to take a risk on new faces. If you're in the market for a new manager you're most likely not doing too hot so you want a proven (if somewhat sub-par) comodity to reassure the team and the fans.

exactly.
Given the amount of money at stake, alot of owners won't take the "gamble" on an unproven.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby LBJackal » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:35 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

I would agree with that. Sports is a win-now business. Retreads also aren't always bad because the Yankees are Torre's 4th team, arent they?? :-?

What the hell has Torre done to help the Yankees win? Pedro's little midget friend could have won 4 WS with those lineups.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:36 pm

The Yanks are just Steinbrenner and his money, they got nothing to do with their managing
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby so0perspam » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:01 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:The Yanks are just Steinbrenner and his money, they got nothing to do with their managing

Agreed....
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers