Anyone else wish all the games were on ESPN? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone else wish all the games were on ESPN?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:43 pm

Seriously what is the deal with Scooter? Who exactly do they think is watching these games that they have to explain what a fastball, slider, curve and change up are? Then there is the flaming radar gun, which is only slightly less annoying than McCarver.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:46 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Seriously what is the deal with Scooter? Who exactly do they think is watching these games that they have to explain what a fastball, slider, curve and change up are? Then there is the flaming radar gun, which is only slightly less annoying than McCarver.

Agreed. Fox is always pushing the envelope with these things. It seems to me that they are trying to get the younger and casual fan but this stuff tends to alienate the die-hards. Just like with the glowing puck in hockey, this stuff needs to go. :-t
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:52 pm

I just don't get Scooter. Does FOX really think that someone that doesn't know the difference between a fastball, curveball, slider, and changeup is going to just sit down and watch a ballgame?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:56 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I just don't get Scooter. Does FOX really think that someone that doesn't know the difference between a fastball, curveball, slider, and changeup is going to just sit down and watch a ballgame?

I couldn't agree more. Everytime I see it come up I hold out hope that they will go a little deeper than what you could figure out from the name of the pitch.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby nsulham » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:07 pm

Looking forward to the ALCS, not looking forward to listening to Tim "Closet Yankee" McCarver.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JRM4833 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:43 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Your secret is safe with me. If you're in a complex, it should be really easy to remove the traps for some of the better channels. ;-)

;-D

I'm actually in a 2 family, but I have friends in high places and I'm getting myself a free box to at least get the regular basics. :-b :-b

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:36 pm

nsulham wrote:Looking forward to the ALCS, not looking forward to listening to Tim "Closet Yankee" McCarver.

IMHO, that is a huge misconception. I think that he just doesn't hate the Yankees like he used to so it appears that he's favoring them. The fact is that he hated them for a time after he got fired by them. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:07 am

I like Buck. He's very calm and knowledgable. I really like his new commercials:

"Swing and a long one! Way back! HOME RUN! Slam-a-lamma <dong> ding-dong!"

Too funny...

And the one where Leon is considering taking up play-by-play and asks him how much he makes as an announcer. Joe leans over and whispers in his ear and Leon says, "Oh. Never mind."

:-b

That said, I can't stand McCarver. I loathe Morgan and his "holier than thou" attitude towards the fans, and - most importantly - I don't get full cable, so I don't have ESPN.

:-D

Speaking of Fox, the Rams having been getting the bottom of the barrel on Fox when it comes to color analysts the last couple of weeks. This guy they had last weekend didn't even know how to pronounce Manumaleuna's name. He actually asked the play-by-play commentator to "help him out" after he fumbled through it twice. What a dumbass...

:-t
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby LBJackal » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:23 am

StlSluggers wrote:I like Buck. He's very calm and knowledgable. I really like his new commercials:

"Swing and a long one! Way back! HOME RUN! Slam-a-lamma <dong> ding-dong!"

Yeah, that was pretty funny. At least the commercials they do are good :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:06 pm

I don't really like the slama lama ding dong commercial but the Leon commercials are brillant. ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk