Random offseason things to keep an eye on....... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Texas Rangers

Random offseason things to keep an eye on.......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Random offseason things to keep an eye on.......

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:35 am

I've been sitting here pouring through the Sunday edition of the Ft. Worth Star Telegram and a few things I'm seeing, I don't like the sound of.

Rudy Jaramillo might not return? No, no, no. We cannot lose our hitting coach. We've not had any issues with hitting, and losing him would not be a good move.

A slight increase in payroll next year? Slight? What? We need starting pitching and that takes money. This year's payroll was only $63 million and with the attendance numbers, you know the Rangers made a nice profit. Reinvest in the team! It doesn't have to be anything nuts, but another $5-$10 million would do wonders if wisely spent.

Possible targets as to starting pitching: Pavano, Pedro (won't happen), Matt Morris. Those are the stretches right now. More realistically: Odalis Perez and Eric Milton have been mentioned. I'm sure more names will be tossed around as the offseason progresses.

Soriano might be traded. Seems the Rangers are undecided on what exactly they want to do and will listen to offers for Soriano. Personally, I don't want to see that happen. I'd rather the Rangers sign Soriano for a 4-6 year deal at a reasonable price.

What's going to happen to Adrian Gonzalez? It's time to bring him up and see if he's ready. Unfortunately, there's not a spot for him. Teixeira is at 1B and a reserve OF will DH next year. Not a good spot.

The Rangers will also look for an extra catcher during the offseason as well. Seems Laird is still having trouble with his surgically repaired thumb (tore a ligament). Laird has decided not to play winter ball and give the thumb 6-8 weeks of rest and then start training in AZ.

Anyway, just idle ramblings from a Ranger fan and a few things to keep an eye on.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:36 pm

Madison you should be the moderator of this forum :-b
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby irishdude103 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:39 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:Madison you should be the moderator of this forum :-b
i agree
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:15 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:Madison you should be the moderator of this forum :-b

i think Mad's a moderator for all the forums. :-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:33 pm

thetongueofire wrote:i think Mad's a moderator for all the forums. :-D

So that's what all those extra buttons and options are for! :-B

Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GameOn » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:51 pm

Is barajas a FA? If so, do you think that buck brings him back?

Isn't Matt Clement a FA? If so I would like to see the Rangers pursue him more then Odalis or Pavano. I like Morris but he has had his problems. I think Derek Lowe might be a good guy to try and get as well, he had a bad season so maybe he won't cost as much. The rangers really need a sinker ball pitcher.

I think the Rangers should trade Soriano for something. before Soriano came to Texas he was my favorite fantasy player, so naturally I was delighted to see him in a Rangers uniform. However, I quickly learned that once you watch his defense everyday his offensive stats don't really make up for it. The Ranger lineup will produce runs, the Rangers need to focus now on limiting the other teams runs via better starting pitcher and better defense (meaning Sori needs to go). If the Rangers could get a good catcher for him or a good starting pitcher I would be all for it. They can find a good defensive 2B for a lot less than they are paying Soriano and I think overall it will help the team more.

Any idea what the rangers will do with Park next year? It looked like he regained some velocity on his fastball towards the end of the year, but I doubt that will carry over to next season. I say give him 3 or 4 starts next year and if he sucks just put him in the pen. Let him have Benoit's role this year in long relief. He's just too streaky, even when Park has a good start you know 4 or 5 innings that he will implode. I think that if you put him in the pen he will be more focused and he may not feel as much pressure, especially if he is only pitching in games that they are losing.

Finally, my off season prediction...the rangers do not sign a single starting pitcher in free agency. I really wish they would but think about who they have as possible starters next year...kenny rogers, chan ho park, ryan drese, ricardo rodriguez, juan dominguez, colby lewis, and Chris young. That is 7 guys right there, and I just figure that John Hart will say "oh we have 7 viable options for the starting rotation so we aren't going to sign anybody and hope 5 of the 7 will make an impact". Sure it sounds stupid, but the Ranger front office has ALWAYS made stupid pitching moves, I mean just look at who they signed for 13 mil a year to be the ace of the staff.

The future looks bright, but if they don't sign some starting pitching we could be the Kansas City Royals next year.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:23 pm

GameOn wrote:Is barajas a FA? If so, do you think that buck brings him back?

Nope. Barajas is under contract. The Rangers want another catcher for backup just in case Laird isn't fully healthy and ready to go.

GameOn wrote:Isn't Matt Clement a FA? If so I would like to see the Rangers pursue him more then Odalis or Pavano. I like Morris but he has had his problems. I think Derek Lowe might be a good guy to try and get as well, he had a bad season so maybe he won't cost as much. The rangers really need a sinker ball pitcher.

Yes, Clement is a FA. I'd like to see him signed, but I believe his price will be more than the Rangers want to pay. Lowe could be ok. I don't think that highly of him, but it's not like I'm overly picky either.

GameOn wrote:I think the Rangers should trade Soriano for something. before Soriano came to Texas he was my favorite fantasy player, so naturally I was delighted to see him in a Rangers uniform. However, I quickly learned that once you watch his defense everyday his offensive stats don't really make up for it. The Ranger lineup will produce runs, the Rangers need to focus now on limiting the other teams runs via better starting pitcher and better defense (meaning Sori needs to go). If the Rangers could get a good catcher for him or a good starting pitcher I would be all for it. They can find a good defensive 2B for a lot less than they are paying Soriano and I think overall it will help the team more.

Latest rumor was Sori/Park for Sosa. 8-o Not a good move. :-t

I'd rather just stick with him. His defense will improve and it keeps our very young infield together.

GameOn wrote:Any idea what the rangers will do with Park next year? It looked like he regained some velocity on his fastball towards the end of the year, but I doubt that will carry over to next season. I say give him 3 or 4 starts next year and if he sucks just put him in the pen. Let him have Benoit's role this year in long relief. He's just too streaky, even when Park has a good start you know 4 or 5 innings that he will implode. I think that if you put him in the pen he will be more focused and he may not feel as much pressure, especially if he is only pitching in games that they are losing.

If they are unable to trade him (and I doubt they find a sucker to take that contract), then I see him getting a shot at the rotation in spring training. If he still stinks or his velocity stays down, then a mop up man. A very expensive mop up man, but what other choice is there?

GameOn wrote:Finally, my off season prediction...the rangers do not sign a single starting pitcher in free agency. I really wish they would but think about who they have as possible starters next year...kenny rogers, chan ho park, ryan drese, ricardo rodriguez, juan dominguez, colby lewis, and Chris young. That is 7 guys right there, and I just figure that John Hart will say "oh we have 7 viable options for the starting rotation so we aren't going to sign anybody and hope 5 of the 7 will make an impact". Sure it sounds stupid, but the Ranger front office has ALWAYS made stupid pitching moves, I mean just look at who they signed for 13 mil a year to be the ace of the staff.

The future looks bright, but if they don't sign some starting pitching we could be the Kansas City Royals next year.

Sadly, that does sound like Rangers ownership. "We have all these arms. Why bring in another one?". I really hope they go get someone to head the rotation. A solid #1 down the stretch would have won us the division this year. I hope the Rangers see that.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby GameOn » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:51 am

If the rangers just need another backup catcher I would sign Todd Greene again, he has a pretty good bat and he seemed like a good fit. What do you think?
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:55 am

GameOn wrote:If the rangers just need another backup catcher I would sign Todd Greene again, he has a pretty good bat and he seemed like a good fit. What do you think?

Absolutely! ;-D I always thought Greene could play. I even suggested that he could take over the catching duties in Colorado this last season. Shouldn't be very expensive either.

Einar Diaz is a free agent too. Not a great option, but I can think of worse. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby GameOn » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:57 am

One more thing I just thought about...the number one guy I would like to see the Rangers pursue (more than clement) is Brad Radke. He is a proven veteran with excellent control who knows how to pitch. With guys like Odalis, Pedro, Clement, Pavano, and Morris he might slip the radar. Not sure if the twins want to resign him but I think he would be excellent in a Rangers uniform.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Texas Rangers