Playoff Matchups - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Playoff Matchups

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:13 pm

First off, don't put words in my mouth.

Where did I mention your "contributions" to this site? Where did I trash talk the Yankees? I merely stated my opinion of the Yankees/Twins by stating that the combination of Santana and the Metrodome could beat the Yankees.

How exactly do I contradict myself by calling you a clueless homer? Do you even know what contradiction is without looking it up?

Maybe you should be a little more aware of what I wrote before you run your mouth. This will be my last post in response to your pathetic attempts to refute my statements.

And for the record, I'm not a Red Sox fan.
Last edited by FatGuyWithAMullet on Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 850
Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uranus

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:14 pm

nsulham wrote:Just for the record, I don't think fatguy is a Sox fan. I don't think he ever clearly stated his allegaince so telling him "your Red Sox" is false.

Also welcome back ajgnydc722. I noticed you weren't around much lately when the Sox were hot on the Yanks heels ;-)

Saw you over on the football side a lot though. I've been doing the same myself. Anyways, should be a fun next couple of weeks. See you in the ALCS, if we're both lucky enough to get there.


Been real busy since school started up again. Haven't really been online much at all recently. I did make sure to stop in a few times when the Sox were hot to show that I wasn't hiding, just busy.

Also, I'm sorry if I'm mistaken but I'm almost positive that FatGuy had a Red Sox avatar a few weeks back. If not, then sorry but he should learn not to trash talk people for no reason.

And yes, hope to see you in the ALCS and have another thriller. Should be a fun postseason. ;-D
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby DK » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:16 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:FatGuywithMullet...

You have been one of the most idiotic posters here since you showed up, so don't call me clueless. How am I being a homer? By asking why exactly the Twins will crush the Yankees? Please, don't be an @$$.

Hmm, Johan Santana? Metrodome? I believe the Yankees faced both in last year's ALDS. Now obviously Santana has bigger status now, and he'll be harder to beat, but the Yankees have homefield advantage (which is arguabley the best homefield in the league). The Yankees offense is rolling right now as is Mike Mussina, who will counter Santana.

Comparing Johan Santana of 2004 to any other Johan Santana year is irrelevant. He's the best in the game today, and nobody else has been even close. Mussina has been great as of late (and he's on my fantasy team, so believe me I'm happy), but has still been inconsistent and is no Santana. The Yankees offense isn't "rolling", if they are how did they get only 2 hits against a nobody named David Bush last night?

Now don't give me crap about how the Twins will wreck the Yankees and how the Red Sox will breeze past the Angels, because Anaheim has the monster, Vladdy. Their bullpen is great and their lineup is on fire right now. Their pitching isn't too shabby either. Sounds kinda like the 2002 Angels when they won it all. But of course that wouldn't matter to you Boston fans, because it's the year of the Sox, right?

Personally, I believe that the Angels and Sox are a toss-up if they face each other, as are the Twins and Yankees. However, I believe the Twins have the edge because Santana can start games 1 and 4/5, and all they need is a good outing from Radke or Silva. Those three pitchers are all in the top 7 of BB/9, so you know that they're not going to make many mistakes. IMO, Radke is the X-Factor here, because if he has one good start, they pretty much win.

Don't make me laugh. To say the Yankees are going to get wrecked and not say a word about YOUR opponent who is just as if not more dangerous than Minnesota, is being more of a homer than I've been. I don't believe I've said anything to be a homer here. Did I say the Yankees will dominate the Twins or that Minny has no chance? Hell no. I've learned my lessons about underdogs after watching Anaheim and Florida beat me two years in a row. All I asked was how you can tell me that the Twins will wreck the Yankees and meanwhile seem happy about only having to worry about the Angels.

In response to SoxFantatic001, I don't know how much more of a shaky staff the Yankees have compared to that of the Red Sox. Schilling has been the only rock in your rotation, and Mussina has done so for us for a while. Pedro has lost what? His last 4 starts and looks less than impressive in each of them. Not to mention some remarks that are not Pedro-like (the Yankees are my daddy). Derek Lowe has been as much or more of a joke than Vazquez has, and if Brown pitches like he did today, he's ready to go too.

Brown also had his worst start of his career two starts ago, and Lowe/Vazquez cancel each other out. Pedro is still Pedro, and can dominate when he's on; he was in cold weather the last time he pitched NYY and is usually not good in the cold. Schilling is the only rock in either Boston or NYY's rotation.

The Yankees have shaky pitching, but so does everyone in the playoffs. However, the Yankees have the most explosive lineup. There is no team that you can point to and say, their staff will shut the Yankees down. So therefore, I personally can't believe that the Yankees aren't going to go to the World Series because at this time, I don't see any main contender in the AL, but rather they are all close to eachother in terms of talent. Maybe the Yankees will be in the World Series, maybe they won't. But to say they are going to get wrecked by the Twins, and then say nothing about your Red Sox having to deal with the Angels, is just asanine.


Shaky pitching? The Twins' staff is a rock. The other AL teams can dominate or bust, depending. I'd rate the Sox over the Yanks, and the Yanks over the Angels. I don't see the Yankees going to the World Series, but I do see an interesting trip for whoever gets there.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:21 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:

Where did I mention your "contributions" to this site?


Hmm.. How about here:

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote: Why am I an idiotic poster? Because I don't spend all my time rimming everyone? Because I don't pad my post count by quoting people and then responding with a freaking "Big Grin" emoticon like you?



FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:How exactly do I contradict myself by calling you a clueless homer? Do you even know what contradiction is without looking it up?


You said I "rim" people. When did I rim anyone? You are the one coming in here calling people clueless. Idiot.

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Maybe you should be a little more aware of what I wrote before you run your mouth. It's sad you have to resort to calling me an ignorant fool because you were thoroughly destroyed.

This will be my last post in response to your pathetic attempts to rebuttal my statements. Stupid douche bag


Wow. I was destroyed? Well, I must say...you've convinced me. I'll just stop arguing since I've been so horridly demolished by the almighty fatmullet. That douche bag remark at the end sealed it. I think I might cry now. :,-(
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:24 pm

DK wrote:
Shaky pitching? The Twins' staff is a rock. The other AL teams can dominate or bust, depending. I'd rate the Sox over the Yanks, and the Yanks over the Angels. I don't see the Yankees going to the World Series, but I do see an interesting trip for whoever gets there.


Point well taken. The Twins are good with their first 2 starters, but I'd be weary of their next two. The Red Sox also have the talent to shut down offenses. I simply mean that I don't see a dominating staff that you could say, "Wow, that team is going to shut down almost everyone," like you could have with, say the 2001 D'Backs or the Cubbies last year. All the staffs are relativley the same.

Agreed that it should be a interested trip to the Fall Classic this year.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby irishdude103 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:25 pm

:-° wow this is a heated thread, anyways i agree with DK and his points about The Twins and Yanks and that series with Radke being a big ?, anyways really i think that Boston will be able to take Aneheim with ok outings from Schilling and Pedro, but with that series i think that the X Factor is Arroyo and if he can get a win during his start.
Image
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby irishdude103 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:26 pm

oh yeah predictions

Boston over Aneheim-
Minnesota over New York-

then

Boston over Minnesota-- i know, kinda of a stretch ;-)
Image
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:27 pm

A. I said you pad your post count with worthless drivel, you're reaching by interpreting that the way you did.

B. You claim I contradict myself by calling you a clueless homer and then saying you rim people. I hate to break it to you, but that isn't contradiction. Nice try though, it's always good to attempt to expand your vocabulary.

C. Yes, you were destroyed because your argument holds no merit.

Okay, now I'm really done.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 850
Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uranus

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:36 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:A. I said you pad your post count with worthless drivel, you're reaching by interpreting that the way you did.

B. You claim I contradict myself by calling you a clueless homer and then saying you rim people. I hate to break it to you, but that isn't contradiction. Nice try though, it's always good to attempt to expand your vocabulary.

C. Yes, you were destroyed because your argument holds no merit.

Okay, now I'm really done.


1. If you paid attention to anything around here, you'd know that it's quality, not quantity that matters. Nobody tries to pad their post count because post count doesn't matter. It's the substance of what you write that matters, so your argument is void.

2. You tell me I rim people and then call me clueless in the same sentence (without any proof that I'm "rimming" anyone). That is a contradiction you clown. Not to mention you later call me a "stupid douche bag" which I'm sure the mods would appreciate.

3. On the contrary, your argument is the one that holds no merit, simply because you have no argument. I asked a question, I didn't mean to spark an argument. I wondered why Soxfanatic said the Twins WOULD wreck the Yanks. Then you called me a clueless homer for some idiotic reason.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:46 pm

Sorry, I missed DK's comments on my post because they were mixed in with my quote. I'll do my best to defend my point...

1. It's true that you can't compare Santana of this year to any other year but he's only going to be able to pitch 2 games. So assuming he wins both, that still leaves three other games for the Yankees to win. The Yankee offense that got shut down by David Bush consisted of Andy Phillips, Enrique Wilson, Felix Escolona, Dioner Navarro and Bubba Crosby.

2. It is true that if Radke has a good start and wins, the Twins are in great shape. However, as good as Santana is, it's not a given that the Twins have 2 wins in the bag just because he's pitching. Just ask the Cubs. Two weeks ago, you could've sworn that they'd be in the playoffs because there was no way they could blow it against the Mets, Reds, Pirates, etc...right??

3. Maybe you aren't but I'm willing to give Brown a bit of a flier considering that bad start was his first start back from his injury and it was against a dominant Red Sox lineup. He did very well before and so far after that start, so I'm willing to throw that start out for the time being. Pedro definately can be dominating when he's on, but he has yet to beat the Yankees in a big spot, and until he does, I'm not going to feel the same fear I do when Schill's on the mound.

Overall you make good points and the whole postseason should be exciting and fun to watch.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Jul. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(4:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Arizona at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Oakland at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact