Am I Crazy To Think Jeremy Bonderman Can Be Great Next Year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Am I Crazy To Think Jeremy Bonderman Can Be Great Next Year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:59 pm

Yeah that's the problem, everybody knows he's gonna be good now. I wish I was in all dynasty leagues. That way I'd have a roster full of aces. 2 years ago I had Peavy and Ollie Perez on my team, as well as Santana (all 3 were nobodies I got off waivers - same league), last year I had harden adna couple other gusy, this year I had Bonderman and a bunch of other SP's....... but by the time they're studs they're on somebody elses team :~(

That's it, only dynasty leagues for me now :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:18 am

I have always liked Bonderman, but then he played HS ball here just 3 years ago. He's a future ace. The only negative is Detroit rushed him. In 2 years could be Peavy/Zambrano tough. Next year could still feel a few bumps. In a keeper he's gold. When the 3 way deal went down (NYY/DET/OAK), i felt Bonderman was the best guy in deal, and add the fact Detroit got Pena, the Tigers took Beane/Cashman to cleaners.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby hybrid » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:50 am

Pretty much agree with everyone on this one:

- Might be hyped up to much as a sleeper next year to get great value

- Always liked him since he was a prospect and I'm glad to see him working his way to a future ace

- I have him in a few keepers and I'm very happy ;-D

- Also was at his lastest CG against the Rays, right behind home plate (wonderful seats for the DH). Anyways he basically had every hitter up there guessing as to what was coming. His fastball has a lot of pop/movement and that slider is about as nasty as they come when it's on. He was so confident in the pitch (slider) he would even through it in a full count or when he was down in the count.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: Am I Crazy To Think Jeremy Bonderman Can Be Great Next Year?

Postby The Jury » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:28 am

TheAbreu wrote:I am trying to do an early assessment of sleeper pitchers for next season. In using Bonderman as a spot-starter yesterday, I decided to watch him pitch. Granted, it was lowly Tampa Bay, but this guy looked capable of being a solid major league pitcher. I started thinking of some factors that I think could be worthy of taking this guy next season late in a draft.

1. He's a power pitcher with already solid strikeout numbers and opposing batting average. It's my opinion that I prefer to use power pitchers, since I like their upside, as opposed to someone that can't break a pane of glass.

2. He's young. At 21, turning 22, he's got a lot more upside than I realized.

3. His second half split this year consists of 85Ks in 90 inns, 3.70 ERA, and most impressive, a 1.10 WHIP and .210 batting average against. Not numbers to snicker at.

4. The AL Central is probably the worst, or at least second worse, division of hitters, especially if Chicago loses Ordonez and Lee. Bonderman will have some very favorable matchups next year, although I must be fair and state that Cleveland should continue to improve offensively next year as well

5. The upside of the Tigers offense leads me to believe he could get some much needed run support. Infante, Inge, Pudge, if Young is kept, Monroe, and Pena all have been very solid and many of them can only improve.

What's your thoughts on Bonderman? I'd like to hear. I know I might be a little biased, since he just gave me a CG shutout in a spot-start, but I also believe he could be one of those Pavano-like bargains next year if looking for a pitcher late. Thanks

Carlos Guillen gets ZERO acknowledgement from people outside of baseball... :-? eh
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby swingaway » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:24 am

Scott kazmir he looks like he can put up oliver perez types next year if he breaks out. He reminds of oliver stat wise anyway maybe the next year 2 he will break out imo like oliver did this year.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Registered_Guest » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:50 am

He's a solid sleeper given his 2nd half, but I like guys like Ankiel, Foppert and Jerome Williams at the same or cheaper price.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:49 am

Yeah Foppert is one I'll definately have my eye on. He was supposed to be great, but everybody pretty much forgot about him. He pitched 1 inning this year (last game of the year) and had 2 K's and no walks. That's a good sign at least ;-D (Although it's a very small sample size....... but his ERA for the season is 0.00 and he had 18 K/9 8-o ..... :-D )

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers