Am I Crazy To Think Jeremy Bonderman Can Be Great Next Year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Am I Crazy To Think Jeremy Bonderman Can Be Great Next Year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Am I Crazy To Think Jeremy Bonderman Can Be Great Next Year?

Postby TheAbreu » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:31 pm

I am trying to do an early assessment of sleeper pitchers for next season. In using Bonderman as a spot-starter yesterday, I decided to watch him pitch. Granted, it was lowly Tampa Bay, but this guy looked capable of being a solid major league pitcher. I started thinking of some factors that I think could be worthy of taking this guy next season late in a draft.

1. He's a power pitcher with already solid strikeout numbers and opposing batting average. It's my opinion that I prefer to use power pitchers, since I like their upside, as opposed to someone that can't break a pane of glass.

2. He's young. At 21, turning 22, he's got a lot more upside than I realized.

3. His second half split this year consists of 85Ks in 90 inns, 3.70 ERA, and most impressive, a 1.10 WHIP and .210 batting average against. Not numbers to snicker at.

4. The AL Central is probably the worst, or at least second worse, division of hitters, especially if Chicago loses Ordonez and Lee. Bonderman will have some very favorable matchups next year, although I must be fair and state that Cleveland should continue to improve offensively next year as well

5. The upside of the Tigers offense leads me to believe he could get some much needed run support. Infante, Inge, Pudge, if Young is kept, Monroe, and Pena all have been very solid and many of them can only improve.

What's your thoughts on Bonderman? I'd like to hear. I know I might be a little biased, since he just gave me a CG shutout in a spot-start, but I also believe he could be one of those Pavano-like bargains next year if looking for a pitcher late. Thanks
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrimeDog » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:35 pm

The problem with Boderman is that he's gonna be hyped up as a sleeper in every fantasy magazine and on every fantasy site because of his age and the upside he's shown in the second half. While I think he'll be a good pitcher next year, it'll probably be tough to steal him.
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheAbreu » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:38 pm

CrimeDog wrote:The problem with Boderman is that he's gonna be hyped up as a sleeper in every fantasy magazine and on every fantasy site because of his age and the upside he's shown in the second half. While I think he'll be a good pitcher next year, it'll probably be tough to steal him.

Good point. I think he can still be gotten cheap for being with the Tigers and finishing this season with a 11-13 record and an ERA near 5.00, but he's probably the kind of guy you better take a round or two or even three before you think you can get him.
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaveClay12 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:47 pm

I actually agree. I like Bonderman a lot... He's gonna be on my list of high-reward mid-to-late round pitchers. If he were on a better team, I think people would like him more as a "sleeper," but chances are that, even if he pitches well, he'll lose a whole bunch of starts. He won't be off the radar, like he was this year, but I think he's an excellent candidate for a bust-out year. Let's also not forget how good a pitcher's park Comerica can be.

Dave

P.S. I do have at least some cred in this area - I took Oliver Perez in the 2nd to last round of my keeper league draft this year, calling him a "deep sleeper" and everyone laughed...
DaveClay12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheAbreu » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:49 pm

P.S. I do have at least some cred in this area - I took Oliver Perez in the 2nd to last round of my keeper league draft this year, calling him a "deep sleeper" and everyone laughed...

Nice job for keeping the faith. Do I get any credit for drafting him at the beginning of the 2003 season or was I just dumb since he sucked that year? I'm conflicted. Haha
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaveClay12 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:55 pm

Did you keep him after last year? If so, then you get mucho credit.

Oy, Barrett's up again... 1 out, 1st and 2nd... Here comes another GDP.
DaveClay12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheAbreu » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:00 pm

DaveClay12 wrote:Did you keep him after last year? If so, then you get mucho credit.

Oy, Barrett's up again... 1 out, 1st and 2nd... Here comes another GDP.

LoL, no, I wasn't crazy. I dumped his butt after about 5 starts of like a 3.00 WHIP and 10.00 ERA.
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:49 pm

CrimeDog wrote:The problem with Boderman is that he's gonna be hyped up as a sleeper in every fantasy magazine and on every fantasy site because of his age and the upside he's shown in the second half. While I think he'll be a good pitcher next year, it'll probably be tough to steal him.

yea i agree in a league with real good managers he will not fall as far as one might think.....but he would possibly be areal good 5th starting pitcher in a roto league for sure....if he can keep his whip low and if the tigers can continue to improve their offense he could possibly get u 12-15 wins with a decent amount of k's next year.........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:31 pm

Bonderman's always had the stuff to be amazing. He was too young last year though, and shouldn't have been in the majors. Had he stayed with the A's he would have turned into an ace like Mulder, Hudson, Zito, Harden, and soon Blanton and maybe Duchscherer. But the Tigers had nobody last year so they threw him to the wolves. I drafted him in a few leagues this year and although he's been shaky at times, you can tell his upside by the gems he's thrown - 2 shutouts in the past month, with a combined 23 K's and 2 BB's. And he faced CWS and TB, not exactly chumps offensively. He definately has a shot at reversing last year's W/L record in the near future.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:52 pm

i agree. Bonderman's always had the talent. just compare last years numbers with this years. K rate has gone up a lot and as a result hes allowing hits at a lesser rate. his dips is 4.2... just that hes gonna be one of those "popular" sleepers that we have every year...
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers