Who was the American player in Japan... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who was the American player in Japan...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who was the American player in Japan...

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:59 pm

who, when threatening Sadaharu Oh's HR record, was not pitched to in order to preserve the record? This was within the last decade or so.

Anyone remember?
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:03 pm

I'm not that familiar with Japanese baseball, but if memory serves, wasn't that Tuffy Rhodes?

I could, very easily, be wrong.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Baseballer02 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:07 pm

Yup, Mr. Tuffy Rhodes. Everyone thought big things of him with the Cubbies, but he didn't quite pan out in the states.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:17 pm

I dunno...I knew he had success but I don't think it was him. For some reason Kevin Bass comes to mind but I don't think it was him either.
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:22 pm

Damn...I should have Googled first but heck, I haven't posted here much lately. It turns out I am half-right...it was Randy Bass. Check out this link...

http://www.netshrine.com/vbulletin2/archive/index.php/t-706.html
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:29 pm

from what i have read most teams pitched to rhodes. the only team that made a blatant attempt to pitch around him was the one managed by sadaharu oh. the following year alex cabrera also tied the record. some players clearly pitched around him, others pitched to him. the only player who was blatantly pitched around in every at bat was randy bass in 1985, who at one point stood at the plate with his bat held upside down.

Rhodes ends up tying Oh's Japanese HR mark

October 6, 2001

Bad news, folks. He couldn't do it.

Our American baseball icon fell short of the home run record.

That's right. Karl (Tuffy) Rhodes couldn't break the Japanese single-season record of 55 home runs that Sadaharu Oh set in 1964.

Rhodes -- who played with the Houston Astros, the Chicago Cubs and the Boston Red Sox in 1990-95 -- went 0-for-4 in his final game of the season Friday and wound up tying Oh's mark. Rhodes, an outfielder with the Kintetsu Buffaloes, flied out three times and grounded out in a 7-1 loss to the Orix BlueWave at Kobe, Japan.

About the only thing Rhodes didn't have trouble hitting was a slump. Rhodes went homerless in his last five games after equalling Oh's mark Sept. 24.

Unlike Barry Bonds, who received a multitude of walks in Houston before he hit No. 70, Rhodes had his chances.

Rhodes had plenty of clean hits and deep fly balls. He was moved into the leadoff spot in the batting order after Saturday's game against Lotte in order to get more at-bats.

"I had a lot of good pitches today," Rhodes, a 33-year-old native of Cincinnati, said last Saturday. "They were all fastballs and I just made a few mistakes."

The only team that blatantly tried to prevent Rhodes from breaking the mark was the Daiei Hawks, managed by Oh. Pitcher Keizaburo Tanoue threw just two strikes in 18 pitches Sunday as Rhodes desperately swung at balls far out of the strike zone.

Oh insisted he was "out of the loop" and that the decision to walk Rhodes four times was made by Tanoue.

http://www.freep.com/sports/othersports ... 011006.htm
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby LBJackal » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:03 am

I thought Japanese players were better than that. Reminds me of Aaron breaking Ruth's record - people didn't want him to because he's black. At least it's not a racial thing with the Japanese, but it's still childish. How sacred could the record be if they have to keep protecting it like this? :-t If I was Sadaharu Oh I'd be embarassed and would rather have my record broken than have it last like this.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dr.DooM » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:29 am

Japan is the most racist nation in the world. I'm not suprised at all.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby strats36 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:44 pm

The funny thing is that on that forum there's a posting about the Washington Expos! It's archived from 2001. I guess that guy got the scoop. Three years early! :-D
strats36
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LCBOY » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:53 pm

In the 1985 Randy Bass, a former Padre 1B, got to 54 HRs with about a week to go and never saw another pitch. Sadsharu Oh's record of 55 has now been tied twice by Rhodes and Cabrera I think.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers