Mets rehired Minaya - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mets rehired Minaya

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:13 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Omar is at his best in the scouting department. He is not FO material. The trade Jim Duquette made for Richard Hidalgo back in May impressed me more than anything Omar has ever done.

So what? Omar's record isn't spotty, it's almost non-existent. He was an assistant with the Mets and nothing more than Selig's figurehead in Montreal.

Nobody has any idea of how good of a GM he'll be. We hope for the best but to say he is not front-office material is ludicrous. He obviously did a good enough job in the Mets' front office to warrant MLB hiring him for the Montreal job.

It's a safe bet that he can't do any worse than Steve Phillips or that knuckledhead Ed Wade. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:20 pm

Amazinz wrote:
FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Omar is at his best in the scouting department. He is not FO material. The trade Jim Duquette made for Richard Hidalgo back in May impressed me more than anything Omar has ever done.

So what? Omar's record isn't spotty, it's almost non-existent. He was an assistant with the Mets and nothing more than Selig's figurehead in Montreal.

Nobody has any idea of how good of a GM he'll be. We hope for the best but to say he is not front-office material is ludicrous. He obviously did a good enough job in the Mets' front office to warrant MLB hiring him for the Montreal job.

It's a safe bet that he can't do any worse than Steve Phillips or that knuckledhead Ed Wade. ;-D

Minaya was terrible as the Expos GM. He showed a complete and total disregard for prospects, preferring instead to acquire as many mediocre veteran players that he had heard of ( Sound familiar? ). As a result, he tended to completely undervalue prospects, giving them away for far below their market value. The first Colon trade is an example of this; the same principle was evident in the second Colon trade, where Minaya insisted on getting established major leaguers in return for Colon, and ending up with Rocky Biddle and Jeff Liefer instead of getting real talent, and it was also obvious in a trade you might remember Amazinz, when Minaya acquired Lou Collier for Jason Bay.

All that aside, I began to respect Minaya after I read this quote -

"I don't talk about on-base percentage. I'm old school. I'm not a stat guy. I'm a talent evaluator. The guys who taught me the game of baseball never talked about on-base percentage. Give me talent and I'll give you on-base percentage." --Omar Minaya
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:05 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Minaya was terrible as the Expos GM.

I tend to agree with you that he didn't do a stellar job in Montreal but he was under Bud Selig's authority. He wasn't trying to build a better club, he was trying to appease MLB by reorganizing the club's contract structure. Every other GM who dealt with him knew that they had him by the family jewels. He has a shot to prove himself now, we'll see, but from an outsider's perspective I don't think it's fair to judge him by the deals made in Montreal.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:15 pm

Amazinz wrote:
FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Minaya was terrible as the Expos GM.

I tend to agree with you that he didn't do a stellar job in Montreal but he was under Bud Selig's authority. He wasn't trying to build a better club, he was trying to appease MLB by reorganizing the club's contract structure. Every other GM who dealt with him knew that they had him by the family jewels. He has a shot to prove himself now, we'll see, but from an outsider's perspective I don't think it's fair to judge him by the deals made in Montreal.

Minaya called the shots as Expos GM. The only constraint he was put under by Selig and MLB was that he had to stay on budget, but apart from that it was all Minaya. So trying to excuse his poor performance as Expos GM because he supposedly didn't have any power is wrong.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to General Talk