Mets rehired Minaya - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mets rehired Minaya

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mets rehired Minaya

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:12 pm

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7740656

This took me by surprise. I thought J.D. had another year of opportunity at least.

They are also giving Minaya total autonomy which blows my mind but I think it's a good move. Welcome back Omar now bring Bobby home. :,-(
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:53 pm

at least Minaya wont run the team into the ground. hehe....

whatever he is, hes obviously better than what the Mets have had to deal with in the past. ;-)

he didnt get too much of a chance to do anything in Mon but mostly i like him.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:17 pm

I wasn't a big S.P. fan but I liked J.D. I feel like if you're going to give someone the opportunity to be GM than you have to stick with them longer than a year. I don't think he got a fair shot.

But the Mets tried to persuade Minaya to leave Montreal last year and he wouldn't so they promoted J.D. This was they guy they wanted so I understand why they did what they did. They must really have a lot of faith to give him total autonomy. Hopefully they're right. ;-D

Of course those two knuckleheads also had complete faith that Kaz Matsui had been scouted adequately and accurately. :-[
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:38 pm

I think Minyana will be a good fit. He was effective the first time around, so I'm happy we brought him back.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Fireball Express » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:20 am

A ray of hope for my Mets!?! :-)
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:37 am

Fireball Express wrote:A ray of hope for my Mets!?! :-)

I hope so. We need a ray of something. ;-)

Except a Rey Ordonez. :-b
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:38 am

or a Rey Sanchez.... :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:13 am

Minaya - a ray of hope?

His track record is spotty at best. Now I won't delve into his past with the Mets, as I don't know much about that time period, nor do I much care. However, he received credit for Montreal having winning seasons, when in reality he inherited a great deal of young talent. We're talking the likes of Vlad, Pavano, Mota, Vazquez, Vidro, Cabrera, Colon, Urbina, etc. He gave away most of those players for virtually nothing, albeit he never had any leverage and his back was constantly against the wall during trade talks.

I don't really blame this 100% on Omar, considering he was given near impossible parameters to succeed, but when the going gets tough, the tough get going...or something.

Omar is at his best in the scouting department. He is not FO material. The trade Jim Duquette made for Richard Hidalgo back in May impressed me more than anything Omar has ever done.

The Mets ray of hope will come when the Wilpons say arrivederci.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:11 am

Good thing they have a talent evaluator instead of an administrator as GM. Now David Wright has a hope of staying more than a season. Apparently JD was letting the senior players (Leiter, Franco, etc) make decision, so I can see why they wanted a real GM.

BTW: What was it you guys liked about JD? All he did was sign Matsui and trade away Kazmir, isn't it?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:06 pm

LBJackal wrote:BTW: What was it you guys liked about JD? All he did was sign Matsui and trade away Kazmir, isn't it?

Well Duquette held the job for less than a year so there wasn't a lot to dislike. He was simply a breath of fresh air from Steve Phillips, whom I despised, and I was happy with the direction he was taking the club. I don't want to itemize them for you but there were a lot more moves than the two you listed. Many of them minor and unlikely to grab attention of anyone other than Mets' fans but I was happy with them.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk