What was the saddest story in 04'? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What was the saddest story in 04'?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jester » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:24 pm

Urbina's Mother - for sure.

The Expoes were a pretty sad state this year, (and every year for a while now) - imagine being a big league player and playing in front of like 3000 people. That is sad.
Image
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 506
Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In SKYDOME, thats right, SKYDOME

Postby BigMusky » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:40 pm

Cardinal running away with the division.
Image
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2780
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:43 pm

Kearns taking months upon months off for a blister.

What's even sadder is people will remember him more for most likely killing the Cubs playoff chances than the fact he's batted near .200 for the last 2 years & been an enormous bust.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 955
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Randy Watson » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:44 pm

How about the guy who stole the ball from the little kid at the Rangers game and then wouldn't give it to him? Reggie Sanders and the Rangers made up for it and then some, but that was a pretty sad episode.
"Girl, you look so good, someone ought to put you on a plate and sop you up with a biscuit!"
Randy Watson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Brooklyn

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:50 pm

Randy Watson wrote:How about the guy who stole the ball from the little kid at the Rangers game and then wouldn't give it to him? Reggie Sanders and the Rangers made up for it and then some, but that was a pretty sad episode.
To be fair he didn't steal the ball from the little kid. But he knocked him down and almost trampled him getting it.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21585
(Past Year: 355)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:11 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:I broke down into tears the day it was announced that Troy Glaus was out for the remainder of the season. I had a great team, but he was the key. He was leading the Bigs in homers (and I think RBI, too) when he went out.

Just thinking of that day brings me to tears again.

:-[ ...
:,-( ...
:~(
Seriously? 3B was stacked this year. Glaus was out in early May with 11 HR and 28 RBI. Nice numbers but I didn't think anyone's fantasy season was riding on him.

Stacked is the point. All of the other great 3Bs were taken, so I was losing serious ground at the 3B position because I had to platoon WW players for most of the entire year. I recovered a bit when Huff finally turned around, but my best 3B for most of the year was Koskie.

:-o

Oh, and Wood, Anderson, F. Thomas, Zito, Huff, and Halladay didn't exactly do their part in helping me out, either. Glaus was just the beginning of a very bad year for me. That's why it's so sad. I think of him, and I think of all the bad things that were to come.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:41 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:I broke down into tears the day it was announced that Troy Glaus was out for the remainder of the season. I had a great team, but he was the key. He was leading the Bigs in homers (and I think RBI, too) when he went out.

Just thinking of that day brings me to tears again.

:-[ ...
:,-( ...
:~(
Seriously? 3B was stacked this year. Glaus was out in early May with 11 HR and 28 RBI. Nice numbers but I didn't think anyone's fantasy season was riding on him.

Stacked is the point. All of the other great 3Bs were taken, so I was losing serious ground at the 3B position because I had to platoon WW players for most of the entire year. I recovered a bit when Huff finally turned around, but my best 3B for most of the year was Koskie.

:-o

Oh, and Wood, Anderson, F. Thomas, Zito, Huff, and Halladay didn't exactly do their part in helping me out, either. Glaus was just the beginning of a very bad year for me. That's why it's so sad. I think of him, and I think of all the bad things that were to come.


I feel your pain there. Mags and Sexson downed me in one league.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21585
(Past Year: 355)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby stumpak » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:55 pm

I wouldn't cry over Glaus, his typical .250 average would have been killing your team all season.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2729
Joined: 9 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:15 pm

stumpak wrote:I wouldn't cry over Glaus, his typical .250 average would have been killing your team all season.

Head-to-head, points league

BA is of less concern. I needed production, and he was producing.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:25 pm

LBJackal wrote:Well yeah if ya wanna get all sappy, you could say the lady who got her nose broken or more importantly Urbina's mom, but baseball related :-? I guess I'm getting used to Griffey wasting away his prime years, so I'll have to say a season without Jesse Orosco is the saddest thing. Every year I've been alive he's been pitching in the big leagues. Same with everybdy else whose 25 or under..... :-D


i dont feel sorry at all for the lady who got her nose broken, she deserved it.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4347
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact