What was the saddest story in 04'? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What was the saddest story in 04'?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What was the saddest story in 04'?

Postby perlick29 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:19 pm

My question deals with the regular season because the playoffs haven't started yet. I was having a discussion about this earlier and now I want all of your opinions. What had to be the saddest story in 04'? My friend was joking when he said when Bonds got tested for steroids.

My vote goes to Joe Mauer getting hurt. Such a long and gruelling season he's gone through and it was totally wasted for such a player with so much potential.

What's yours?
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:26 pm

I would say that Texas Rangers Pitcher throwing a chair.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby strats36 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:53 am

Urbina's mother was kidnapped! I can't imagine what he's going through.
strats36
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:18 am

strats36 wrote:Urbina's mother was kidnapped! I can't imagine what he's going through.
That is the one that immediately jumped to mind.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:53 am

Well yeah if ya wanna get all sappy, you could say the lady who got her nose broken or more importantly Urbina's mom, but baseball related :-? I guess I'm getting used to Griffey wasting away his prime years, so I'll have to say a season without Jesse Orosco is the saddest thing. Every year I've been alive he's been pitching in the big leagues. Same with everybdy else whose 25 or under..... :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Thrill » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:01 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
strats36 wrote:Urbina's mother was kidnapped! I can't imagine what he's going through.

This one immediately jumped in my mind as well.

In terms of biggest disappointment fantasy-wise? I'd go with Mark Prior. For non-keeper leagues, he was likely drafted very early and was a big bust for pretty much the whole year (Garciaparra and Bret Boone are up there in disappointments as well).
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:06 am

The Thrill wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

This one immediately jumped in my mind as well.

In terms of biggest disappointment fantasy-wise? I'd go with Mark Prior. For non-keeper leagues, he was likely drafted very early and was a big bust for pretty much the whole year (Garciaparra and Bret Boone are up there in disappointments as well).

I agree. Prior went mid first round in some of my leagues. :-o I realize too that it's like beating a dead horse talking about Griffey, but, he was in the majors at 19, so being whatever he is now 33-34? is like most guys when they're 37-38ish. I know you still play in the minors, but it's a lot different than playing 162 games and the post season in the bigs. BTW I'm not trying to defend Griffey or anything, just trying to give it a little perspective. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:02 pm

I broke down into tears the day it was announced that Troy Glaus was out for the remainder of the season. I had a great team, but he was the key. He was leading the Bigs in homers (and I think RBI, too) when he went out.

Just thinking of that day brings me to tears again.

:-[ ...
:,-( ...
:~(
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:20 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I broke down into tears the day it was announced that Troy Glaus was out for the remainder of the season. I had a great team, but he was the key. He was leading the Bigs in homers (and I think RBI, too) when he went out.

Just thinking of that day brings me to tears again.

:-[ ...
:,-( ...
:~(
Seriously? 3B was stacked this year. Glaus was out in early May with 11 HR and 28 RBI. Nice numbers but I didn't think anyone's fantasy season was riding on him.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:23 pm

i would also agree with urbina's mom gettin kidnapped being the saddest moment.......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers