Brazoban gets win and hold in Yahoo? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brazoban gets win and hold in Yahoo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brazoban gets win and hold in Yahoo?

Postby stratusfactionrt » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:05 pm

Yahoo gave Brazoban a win and a hold yesterday. Is this an error? If so, will Yahoo correct it? If not, how is this possible?

Thanks.
stratusfactionrt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stratusfactionrt » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:21 pm

Okay, just FYI for everyone interested now... After some research, I'm assuming the following:

1) He gets the hold for obvious reasons, coming into the game with the lead and leaving w/o giving up that lead.

2) He gets the win b/c the first two pitchers are not eligible for the win... The starting pitcher only threw 4.2 innings. The second pitcher, who only threw 0.1 innings, I'm guessing wasn't as effective as Brazoban, according to the scorekeeper:

(c) When the starting pitcher cannot be credited with the victory because of the provisions of 10.19 (a) or (b) and more than one relief pitcher is used, the victory shall be awarded on the following basis: (1) When, during the tenure of the starting pitcher, the winning team assumes the lead and maintains it to the finish of the game, credit the victory to the relief pitcher judged by the scorer to have been the most effective; -MLB.com

Also, MLB rules state: EXCEPTION: Do not credit a victory to a relief pitcher who is ineffective in a brief appearance, when a succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively in helping his team maintain the lead. In such cases, credit the succeeding relief pitcher with the victory.

So it appears to be valid. I found rules saying you cannot get a save and hold at the same time, but nothing about wins and holds.
stratusfactionrt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:13 pm

Interesting. ;-D So wins are subjective and arbitrary at times. I never knew that.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Nipples » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:17 pm

warrick95 wrote:Interesting. ;-D So wins are subjective and arbitrary at times. I never knew that.

Yeah, they are. What I didnt know was that even if a relief pitcher was on record for when his team took the lead, the official scorer doesnt have to give the win to him if he wasnt effective. I dont think that happens too often, but it looks like its possible.
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers