This season's greatest individual achievement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This season's greatest individual achievement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

This season's greatest individual achievement

Postby RayD » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:48 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Ichiro's pursuit of the hits record. But what he's doing this year doesn't begin to compare to what Barry Bonds is doing.

Ted Williams said that baseball is the only human endeavor where a man can succeed three out of ten times and be considered a good performer. Well, this year Bonds has been successful twice that often.

The only .600 OBP in baseball history. Discuss!
RayD
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Baseballer02 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:50 am

And should this .600 OBP be attributed to Bonds or the managers and pitchers who always decide to walk him?
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby RayD » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:29 am

Well, they can either walk him 230 times or take their chances on him hitting 35 more HR. What would you do?

BTW, Bonds has 12 more walks than Beltre has hits, and more than three times as many hits as Beltre has walks.
RayD
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am

Barry Lamar Bonds is on pace to get on base 373 times. thats just rhidiculous. it'll be the second highest all-time, second only to Babe Ruth's 1923 season. there have only been 5 seasons ever* when a hitter has reached base more than 350 times. Babe Ruth has two and Barry has two with Ted Williams finishing up with the fifth. but when taking into account playing time, Bonds this season has gotten on base at a faster rate than anyone else in history, including Babe Ruth in 1923.

*including this year, Bonds is at 355 right now

OBA--.612, Bonds holds the major league record with .582, in 2002. he has five of the top 9 seasons.
SLG--.830, on pace for 4th all time, he will have 3 of the top 5 seasons. he also holds the major league record with .863, 2001
OPS--1.442, Bonds holds the major league record with 1.381, in 2002. he'll have four of the top 8 seasons all-time.

IMO, this is arguably the best offensive season of all time. it definitely means more than Ichiro hitting 2 singles a game or Santana or RJ having years that wont even fall into the top 50 all-time.

funfact: if Bonds had 0 hits, he'd still have a higher oba than Vlad and Ortiz, the top mvp candidates in the other league.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Baseballer02 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:34 am

I realize Bonds being walked is best for the good of the opposing teams, but his OBP is pretty much in the hands of the the opposing team's managers and pitchers at this point. The numbers that impress me most are his SLG, K's, and AB/HR.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:59 am

Baseballer02 wrote:I realize Bonds being walked is best for the good of the opposing teams, but his OBP is pretty much in the hands of the the opposing team's managers and pitchers at this point.

i always thought that they walked him cos he was good and cos the managers always wet their panties whenever he comes up to the plate. he'd have even more HR and RBI if they let him hit more, and then people wouldnt chose Beltre or Pujols over him just cos they have more RBI's.

Baseballer02 wrote:The numbers that impress me most are his SLG, K's, and AB/HR.

;-D

Barry is the all-time leader in slug (above post) and AB/HR which was set in the 01 season when he had those 73 dingers in just 476 AB's. Previously, McGwire and the Babe had held the top 9 single season AB/HR ratios in history. since 01, every single on of his 4 seasons is in the top 10.

its kinda funny that so many people dont recognize how rhidiculously good hes been just cos they dont like him.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:11 am

Well I'm pretty sure that everyone knows I do not value walks very much, but what Barry has done in his actual at bats is very impressive and certainly a very nice season. ;-D I'm sure Barry supporters will be happy to hear that I've got Barry winning the MVP now. ;-)

I am interested to see if in fact Ichiro breaks the all time hits record though. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RayD » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:53 am

Baseballer02 wrote:I realize Bonds being walked is best for the good of the opposing teams, but his OBP is pretty much in the hands of the the opposing team's managers and pitchers at this point.

The opposing teams' managers and pitchers are deciding, probably correctly, and at an unprecedented rate, that they're better off walking this particular batter than letting him swing at the ball.

The numbers that impress me most are his SLG, K's, and AB/HR.

Theyre all impressive, and they all contribute to his high OBP.

Put it this way: the most elementary measure of batting success is the act of simply not making an out -- logic being that if you simply never made an out, you would score an infinite number of runs.

Bonds will be the first player in history to make outs in less than 40% of his PAs. It's completely astonishing.
RayD
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: This season's greatest individual achievement

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:23 pm

RayD wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Ichiro's pursuit of the hits record. But what he's doing this year doesn't begin to compare to what Barry Bonds is doing.

Ted Williams said that baseball is the only human endeavor where a man can succeed three out of ten times and be considered a good performer. Well, this year Bonds has been successful twice that often.

Bonds season is absolutely amazing but what Williams meant was AVG and not OBP. I don't think that Williams was up on Moneyball when he made that statement. :-b
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Re: This season's greatest individual achievement

Postby Bloody Nipples » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
RayD wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Ichiro's pursuit of the hits record. But what he's doing this year doesn't begin to compare to what Barry Bonds is doing.

Bonds season is absolutely amazing but what Williams meant was AVG and not OBP. I don't think that Williams was up on Moneyball when he made that statement. :-b

The standard then would be 4 out of 10 plate appearences, which Bonds is destroying also. :-D

However, I think that the most important accomplishment this season has been Beltran's 40-40 quest, which he will definitely achieve. Though I think Bonds is incredible and possibly the best hitter of all time, I just have gotten used to him putting up these great numbers, so I come to expect it now. Therefore I think 40-40 is more exciting.
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers