Should Green play on Yom Kippur? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should Green play on Yom Kippur?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby great gretzky » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:58 pm

whether he took it off last year, or the year before, or the year before that is pretty irrelevant.

You can't call someone a hypocrite for that. Maybe in the past year he has reflected more on what his faith means to him.

Maybe he wanted to last year, but felt outside pressures to play, caved, and now regrets it to some measure.

Green doesn't OWE the team. Maybe if they had picked up two games somewhere else on the schedule, this wouldn't be an issue.

It is pretty foul to come down on a guy for not playing when he cites religion as the reason.

The fact is, he is jewish, its yom kippur, end of story.

And just because christians play on christmas or easter is pretty irrelevant.

Considering we both don't live with, and spend every waking moment with green, AND we can't see into his soul, nor are we privy to his prayers or dialogue with GOd, who are we to judge? We aren't in any position too.

He could easily say "this is improtant to me -- where is MY team supporting ME"? And, I think it would have some merit. I mean what would they do if he was hurt? They wouldn't have him.

I honestly think that this was coming, it was in his contract. Even if it wasn't, I am hard pressed to hold not working on a supremely important religious holiday.

I think it is a scapegoat case to be honest.

PS:

As a christian, I wouldn't work on either of those two days. end of story. Just because the nba plays on christmas doesn;t make it right. I woudln't fault a player for saying "too bad".
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:49 pm

great gretzky wrote:whether he took it off last year, or the year before, or the year before that is pretty irrelevant.

You can't call someone a hypocrite for that. Maybe in the past year he has reflected more on what his faith means to him.

Maybe he wanted to last year, but felt outside pressures to play, caved, and now regrets it to some measure.

Green doesn't OWE the team. Maybe if they had picked up two games somewhere else on the schedule, this wouldn't be an issue.

It is pretty foul to come down on a guy for not playing when he cites religion as the reason.

The fact is, he is jewish, its yom kippur, end of story.

And just because christians play on christmas or easter is pretty irrelevant.

Considering we both don't live with, and spend every waking moment with green, AND we can't see into his soul, nor are we privy to his prayers or dialogue with GOd, who are we to judge? We aren't in any position too.

He could easily say "this is improtant to me -- where is MY team supporting ME"? And, I think it would have some merit. I mean what would they do if he was hurt? They wouldn't have him.

I honestly think that this was coming, it was in his contract. Even if it wasn't, I am hard pressed to hold not working on a supremely important religious holiday.

I think it is a scapegoat case to be honest.

PS:

As a christian, I wouldn't work on either of those two days. end of story. Just because the nba plays on christmas doesn;t make it right. I woudln't fault a player for saying "too bad".

Well put great gretzky!! ;-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:49 pm

thetongueofire wrote:
LBJackal wrote: 1. God If you don't believe then how did the world come about from "nothing." Think about this for at least a day before replying please. Thought about it for my entire life; religion is bullshit. 2. Family Family Guy maybe; my family can be boring at times 3. Country. Fair enough; they keep me safe, I should at last try my best to respect it and protect it.

i agree too but really if some dude wants to take ONE DAY off so that he can observe his beliefs, whats in there that deserves a three-page thread ?

I honestly forgot I wrote that...... I was really hammered last night and I guess I managed to type off a few words after I got home from the bar :-b

But yeah, on second thought, they should be able to TiVo Family Guy, or at least buy the DVD's.

And also, I didn't mean that he shouldn't be able to take a day off for religion. If he believes in it, then he should be able to take the day off if it's in his contract.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dodger Blue » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:21 pm

RayD wrote:
Dodger Blue wrote:
Madison wrote:I have no problem with Green taking off. Religion is not something I debate or look down on anyone for. If he believes he needs to not play, then so be it. It obviously was a big enough thing for him to make sure it got written into his contract that he's allowed off for it and I know he's taken it off in the past. I really don't see what the problem is here.

Madison got it about right. Three things are way more important than baseball. 1. God If you don't believe then how did the world come about from "nothing." Think about this for at least a day before replying please. 2. Family 3. Country.

Oops, you forgot 4. Apple Pie.

LOL sorry ;-D
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ukrneal » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:12 am

Clearly, some didn;t read my post or understand it. SO let me repeat:

Upto 2001, Green NEVER played on Yom Kippur. In 2001, he skipped the YK game. In 2002, he played a day game before the first night and the next game was an evening game the following day, so he didn't play on YK in 2002. In 2003 the holiday was on October 5-6 and the Dodgers were out of the race.

Anyone who says he's played a major league baseball game on Yom Kippur before is simply not informed. In fact, 2004 was the first time.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ELsolly » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:16 am

I don't know how many of you know this, but Sandy Koufax did not pitch in a world series game back in 1965 which took place on Yom Kippur.

http://www.jewish-holiday.com/koufax.html

I wonder what the reaction was at that time?
ELsolly
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers