Should Green play on Yom Kippur? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should Green play on Yom Kippur?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:07 am

Transmogrifier wrote:It's sad that this is even a debate. It's one game.

I was surprised that this was brought up as well. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:29 am

LBJackal wrote: 1. God If you don't believe then how did the world come about from "nothing." Think about this for at least a day before replying please. Thought about it for my entire life; religion is bullshit. 2. Family Family Guy maybe; my family can be boring at times 3. Country. Fair enough; they keep me safe, I should at last try my best to respect it and protect it.

i agree too but really if some dude wants to take ONE DAY off so that he can observe his beliefs, whats in there that deserves a three-page thread ?
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Arlo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:33 am

When athletes sign a contract, they know what is expected of them.

If you're going to write something like this, wouldn't you at least find out what the contract actually says first? :-?

But lack of research notwithstanding, I agree with Transmo. It's sad that this is rehashed year after year.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:37 am

The fantasy season is winding down and it's not like the FBC has been hopping with new and exciting threads. I think you can attribute this thread's popularity to timing. We don't have anything better to do. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:41 am

Arlo wrote:
When athletes sign a contract, they know what is expected of them.

If you're going to write something like this, wouldn't you at least find out what the contract actually says first? :-?

But lack of research notwithstanding, I agree with Transmo. It's sad that this is rehashed year after year.

I would say that the reason is 2-fold:

1. Whoever brought this up has Green on his team and is upset at missing game(s).
2. The perceived inconsistencies in his taking time off for Yom Kippur.

Keep in mind that I understand the magnitude of this day in the Jewish religion. I am merely pointing out that if it is truly important to him, he would take this day each year.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:47 am

Lofunzo wrote:Keep in mind that I understand the magnitude of this day in the Jewish religion. I am merely pointing out that if it is truly important to him, he would take this day each year.

I don't know if he's been consistent about this or not. But we don't know what's going on in his personal life. He may have just recently renewed his faith. I don't think it's fair to judge him because he didn't observe the holiday last year. A lot can change in a year. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:49 am

Amazinz wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Keep in mind that I understand the magnitude of this day in the Jewish religion. I am merely pointing out that if it is truly important to him, he would take this day each year.

I don't know if he's been consistent about this or not. But we don't know what's going on in his personal life. He may have just recently renewed his faith. I don't think it's fair to judge him because he didn't observe the holiday last year. A lot can change in a year. :-)

I agree and I really can't question anyone with their religion. I would hope that he wouldn't be like many athletes and only find religion when times are tough, though. :-?
Lofunzo

Postby Patella Tendon » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:24 pm

He didn't take the holiday off last year because he had a night game the day of the holiday and the holiday officially ended at sundown that same day.
Patella Tendon
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:38 pm

Patella Tendon wrote:He didn't take the holiday off last year because he had a night game the day of the holiday and the holiday officially ended at sundown that same day.

Not that it matters but what about the night before?? :-?
Lofunzo

Postby Patella Tendon » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:49 pm

You are correct - that is the holiday as well
Patella Tendon
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers