Should Green play on Yom Kippur? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should Green play on Yom Kippur?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:11 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:Didn't miss a wink.

If the Dodgers let him get this into his contract, that's their fault. But you can't honestly think it's right to hurt the organization you work for because of your religious beliefs.

What if I invent a religion tomorrow that requires me to stop bathing and work every Monday in my bath robe. Would that be something that everyone at work should just accept too?

Yes, because Shawn and I invented Judaism last week so we could get off of our jobs.

Be serious.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:17 pm

McDowell should of ended his article right when he said......

"Then again, I am not Jewish and can't begin to know the importance of this holiday."

But yet he goes on and tries to blast him anyways for sitting a game. It's in his contract that he doesn't have to play. Also it's his religion, which believe it or not is more important then playing a game ... especially since it is known in advance and aproved.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:22 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:But you can't honestly think it's right to hurt the organization you work for because of your religious beliefs.

Sounds like you're bitter because he's on your fantasy team and you're just striking out. If his faith is that important to him I would imagine his God is a bigger priority than playing for the Dodgers. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:26 pm

How can anybody argue him playing or not? It's in his contract. I don't know much about the holiday, but I have Jewish friend (watched MNF at a Jewish frat house actually - didn't know until after :-b ) and apparently it's very much against the religion to play baseball (maybe other activities; I dunno, but if Shawn says he can't play, I tend to believe him), and he said he has to spend 8 hours in a synagogue without food. If he truly believes in it, and can't play baseball, and it's in his contract then I have no problem.

And ocm, go ask your boss if you can write into your contract that you can wear a robe to work on the holiday you invented........ BTW does this holiday involve an aluminum pole? :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:59 pm

Green has taken the holiday off in the past. If he has something in his contract that says he can take Yom Kippur off, then he should be able to it off if he feels it is necessary.

As a lifelong Giants fan, there are not many Dodgers that I will ever root for. Shawn Green however is one of them. I started rooting for him when I heard that he took Yom Kippur off for the first time.

I am not Jewish, nor do I practice religion, but I think it is honorable that he has not allowed the stage of professional sports to take away from what matters most to him. It is embarrassing to see people around here adamantly attack Green for any personal decision regarding this issue.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:23 pm

i'm not Jewish, so i really dont know what kind of duties and pressures he'd have.... so really i shouldnt be speaking for him: "no comment". ;-)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby warrick95 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:46 pm

Listen up, here's my take on it.

First, Shawn Green has the clause in his contract, so like anything in a written contract, it is perfectly reasonable for him to take the day off. In all technicality, he's not in the wrong.

Now for the non-technical part of it. Everybody's values are different. The world is becoming increasing secular. Back in the day, religion was the basis of your life.

Apparently, Shawn deeply values his religion and feels like he needs to sit out on Yom Kippur.

Similarily, should we allow UUU to go back to Venezuela to handle his mother's kidnapping? Shawn values religion like UUU values his family.

When it's all said and done, baseball is just a game and a job, nothing more. Religion is part of who you are as a person and more important in the grand scheme of things (that being said, I am agnostic myself, so don't flame me for saying this).
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thehat » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:58 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:Shawn Green using Jewish holidays for vacation is SUCH total BS.

The other major sports play on Christmas Day. We play on Easter.

And why exactly does this holiday prevent him from playing? If he wanted to go outside and play baseball with his kids on that day, is that against his religion too?

It's a classic case of someone exploiting a minority group they happen to be in for personal gain.

What "personal gain" is there in this for Green? I really can't see where there is a problem here. Guys are given days off for personal matters on a regular basis. It's one game.

As for your contention re: Christmas and Easter. It's apples and oranges. The way I understand it, on this particular Jewish holiday, work of any kind is prohibited and there is to be no food eaten on the holiday. It is the day of atonement.

There are no such requirements for Christmas and Easter. And, as far as Christmas is concerned, there are no games played in any professional sport on Christmas Eve and very few on Christmas Day. The NHL usually doesn't play any and the NBA has a couple....big TV games as they know everyone will be home.

Comparing a day where we open presents and sit around the house with family stuffing ourselves to this Jewish holiday just doesn't wash.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:19 am

I have no problem with Green taking off. Religion is not something I debate or look down on anyone for. If he believes he needs to not play, then so be it. It obviously was a big enough thing for him to make sure it got written into his contract that he's allowed off for it and I know he's taken it off in the past. I really don't see what the problem is here.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:29 am

thehat wrote:Comparing a day where we open presents and sit around the house with family stuffing ourselves to this Jewish holiday just doesn't wash.

Wow. You're obviously a non-practicing Christian. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers