Should Green play on Yom Kippur? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should Green play on Yom Kippur?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should Green play on Yom Kippur?

Postby bleach168 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:23 pm

Jack McDowell thinks so: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X ... &type=lgns

I have Green on my team and I would prefer for him to play, but I do understand that to some people, religion is more important than baseball. So I won't be upset if he takes both games off.

However, McDowell seems to think that the rest of the Dodgers should be a tad miffed if Green misses the most important series of the year.

What do you guys think?
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:36 pm

I'm not much into religion, but I do know Shawn Green is the type of guy who would play if it was at all possible. I'll bet it hurts Green to have to sit out these games, but it's something he really believes he must do. Green's a good guy who gives it his all every night. Unfortunately he has to deal with this major conflict.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZF » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:38 pm

I agree with McDowell. Green never took it off last year. Seems to me he's been selective which stinks of hypocrisy in my mind.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:47 pm

Something I forgot to mention...

Shawn Green does have it written into his contract that he can choose not to play on Yom Kippur.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Chopper » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:51 pm

I only agree with McDowell to the extent of honoring a contract. Perhaps Green should have had the holiday off written into his contract (if he didn't).
The argument about 'tons of money' holds little weight with me. If the religious conviction warrants taking the day off, it doesn't matter if he's making $8 an hour or 8 million.
I'd be interested to hear whether McDowell also thinks that Hank Greenberg and Sandy Koufax should have played on Yom Kippur in their day. I seem to remember hearing that some fans were upset, but I don't think their historic reputations have suffered any.
As it is, there are players getting days off for 'personal reasons' or 'family reasons' all the time. I say let him sit.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:56 pm

bleach168 wrote:Something I forgot to mention...

Shawn Green does have it written into his contract that he can choose not to play on Yom Kippur.

If this is the case, I have no problem with it.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:57 pm

Shawn Green using Jewish holidays for vacation is SUCH total BS.

The other major sports play on Christmas Day. We play on Easter.

And why exactly does this holiday prevent him from playing? If he wanted to go outside and play baseball with his kids on that day, is that against his religion too?

It's a classic case of someone exploiting a minority group they happen to be in for personal gain.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Chopper » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:03 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:It's a classic case of someone exploiting a minority group they happen to be in for personal gain.

Did I miss a wink emoticon? Sarcasm?

What does Shawn Green have to personally gain from sitting out a game? I am convinced that this is a painful decision for him and that he would love to be able to play if his convictions allowed it.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DK » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:05 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:Shawn Green using Jewish holidays for vacation is SUCH total BS.

The other major sports play on Christmas Day. We play on Easter.

And why exactly does this holiday prevent him from playing? If he wanted to go outside and play baseball with his kids on that day, is that against his religion too?

It's a classic case of someone exploiting a minority group they happen to be in for personal gain.

You can't possibly be serious.

The man wants to be a part of his religion! Did it ever occur to you that Yom Kippur may be a service that takes part all day, unlike Christmas and Easter?

He won't be taking a vacation. I'll bet you he'll be in temple.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:09 pm

Didn't miss a wink.

If the Dodgers let him get this into his contract, that's their fault. But you can't honestly think it's right to hurt the organization you work for because of your religious beliefs.

What if I invent a religion tomorrow that requires me to stop bathing and work every Monday in my bath robe. Would that be something that everyone at work should just accept too?
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers