Rivera>Cy Young???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rivera>Cy Young????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pgbridge2000 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:14 pm

I don't give him Cy Young not on the grounds that he's not as good as gagne but on the grounds that he is not as dominant against top teams as he used to be (case and point Red Sox on Saturday?) and he has had better seasons in terms of dominance than this one if playoffs counted towards the Cy Young I'm sure Rivera would be making people consider him come October but since it doesn't I'll confine him to the award of Hall of Famer
There are 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
pgbridge2000
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:22 pm

BigBlue wrote:Huh? What happened to that guy named Jason Schmidt?!?! I heard he had a pretty good year and got ROBBED!!!!!!!

Schmidt definitely had a Cy Young-caliber year last year and it's a shame they don't give out two awards. Gagne had the most dominant season ever for a reliever and he deserved it. It's a shame but Schmidt was not robbed IMO. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:25 pm

yep i agree. even though he had a sweet year, i dont think he was robbed. he only made 29 starts and was only able to throw 200-odd innings. Gagne was pretty much inhuman last year.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:43 pm

Amazinz wrote:
BigBlue wrote:Huh? What happened to that guy named Jason Schmidt?!?! I heard he had a pretty good year and got ROBBED!!!!!!!

Schmidt definitely had a Cy Young-caliber year last year and it's a shame they don't give out two awards. Gagne had the most dominant season ever for a reliever and he deserved it. It's a shame but Schmidt was not robbed IMO. ;-)

Quite possibly but only by a hair, if at all. I'm sure that many of you here aren't familiar with Eckersley's 1990 campaign:

Eckersley (1990)
W-L: 4-2
IP: 73.1
SV: 48
H: 41
ER: 5
BB: 4
K: 73
ERA: 0.61
WHIP: 0.61

Gagne (2003)
W-L: 2-3
IP: 82.1
SV: 55
H: 37
ER: 11
BB: 20
K: 137
ERA: 1.20
WHIP: 0.69

I might give Gagne the edge because of the K advantage although Ech smoked him in the K/BB ratio (18.25 - 6.85).
Last edited by Lofunzo on Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:48 pm

I don't think there is ever a season where a closer deserves the Cy Young award. An award named after a guy who averaged 290 IP in his career should not go to a guy who pitches 70. The Rolaids award is plenty of recognition for which reliever performed the best.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:56 pm

4 walks 8-o

How about SV%? I'm sure it must have been close to 100% if he allowed so few ER, but IMO SV% is a very key part of a closer's statline. Gagne didn't blow any which is amazing. Can't believe taht season isn't more talked about 8-o but still, I'd say Gagne's was better.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bluefire7 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:04 pm

unless santana really REALLY blows up from here on out, it's gunna be him.

rivera is a loooong shot. but if you asked me if i had the choice of gagne or rivera in a game, leave everything on the line... i'd still go with the proven goods. i'd like to see LA in the playoffs and see how eric does first.
bluefire7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Gagne (2003)
W-L: 2-3
IP: 76.1
SV: 55
H: 47
ER: 11
BB: 20
K: 137
ERA: 1.20
WHIP: 0.69

not to be a total ass or anything, but Gagne pitched 82.1 innings and allowed 37 hits. ;-D

anyways, Gagne might not be in the playoffs this year and Rivera hasnt been so good against the Sox which makes him totally "anti-clutch" for the Yankees.

i've got no idea who had the better year. i was 3 when Eckesrley had his season and frankly didnt know he was this good. ;-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigBlue » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:53 pm

Tavish wrote:I don't think there is ever a season where a closer deserves the Cy Young award. An award named after a guy who averaged 290 IP in his career should not go to a guy who pitches 70. The Rolaids award is plenty of recognition for which reliever performed the best.

This is exactly how I feel! Same goes w/ a pitcher for MVP imo. They have the Cy Young!
BigBlue
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 17)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:11 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

Quite possibly but only by a hair, if at all. I'm sure that many of you here aren't familiar with Eckersley's 1990 campaign.

No doubt Eckersley's '90 campaign was awesome as well as '92 when he actually won the Cy Young. But Gagne did not blow a save. That is primarily what I'm referring to when I said the most dominant ever.

Also, Eckersley was in the running in '90 but lost to a 27-game winner. I'm not sure how many SVOs Eckersley had in '90 because they didn't keep track of the stat and I don't have it handy. Eckersley blew 3 SVOs in '92 when he won the Cy Young.

As for Tavish's comment, there's some validity to that argument but since there was a precedent for awarding relievers the Cy Young there is absolutely no way they could overlook Gagne last year.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers