Peavy Praise - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peavy Praise

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Peavy Praise

Postby phatjagz14 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:58 am

Alright the Peavster had another stellar game tonite, 8 innings no runs 3 hits 11 k's. His ERA is down to a absolutely ridiculous 2.29!! He also is striking out just under 9 per 9 which is also nuts. He is amazing but the point of the post is this....what do we expect for next year? Does he keep getting better and approach elite status or has he peaked this early? I haven't actually sat and watched enough games to accurately predict this but based on stats he looks like he's gonna be good for a while. Still think he'll go sort of late next year based on "fluke caution" though. Thoughts?
It's like I've died and gone to heaven......but then they realized that it wasn't my time, so they sent me to a brewery.
phatjagz14
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:09 am

He's been pretty lucky this year in the ERA dept.

For next year, I'd expect no more than a 3.20 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP. That's still pretty good and Peavy should be valued moderately high.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Re: Peavy Praise

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:47 am

phatjagz14 wrote:Alright the Peavster had another stellar game tonite, 8 innings no runs 3 hits 11 k's. His ERA is down to a absolutely ridiculous 2.29!! He also is striking out just under 9 per 9 which is also nuts. He is amazing but the point of the post is this....what do we expect for next year? Does he keep getting better and approach elite status or has he peaked this early? I haven't actually sat and watched enough games to accurately predict this but based on stats he looks like he's gonna be good for a while. Still think he'll go sort of late next year based on "fluke caution" though. Thoughts?

I don't like to disagree with people, but I doubt Peavy is going last long enough to ever reach elite status. His mechanics are flawed and he is at risk for a major arm injury. Anywho, the "Peavster" will be vastly overrated going into next season.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Peavy Praise

Postby pbeall100281 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:51 am

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:
I don't like to disagree with people, but I doubt Peavy is going last long enough to ever reach elite status. His mechanics are flawed and he is at risk for a major arm injury. Anywho, the "Peavster" will be vastly overrated going into next season.

Explain? OK I know that Nolan Ryan's mechanics where as close to perfect as possible but are we talking a Kevin Brown/ Roy Oswalt quick whipping action that puts too much stress on the joints and back with Peavy or what?

I think the kid has a future at least as bright as Roy Oswalt's.
Wisdom can give you direction, emotion gets you there. - Jim Rohn
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:01 am

Anyone that bashes him probably doesn't own him ;-D

He's Top 15 right now. I think Oswalt has superior stuff, but Peavy pitches in a pitcher's haven in Petco.

NL pitcher, pitcher's park, 3 of 5 stadiums in division are extreme pitcher's park (LA, SD, SF) = someone I want on my fantasy team.

Any pitcher is an injury risk.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pbeall100281 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:06 am

Registered_Guest wrote:Anyone that bashes him probably doesn't own him ;-D

He's Top 15 right now. I think Oswalt has superior stuff, but Peavy pitches in a pitcher's haven in Petco.

NL pitcher, pitcher's park, 3 of 5 stadiums in division are extreme pitcher's park (LA, SD, SF) = someone I want on my fantasy team.

I don't buy Petco as a pitchers park like I do Dogers Stadium. Brian Giles being my main example.
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:09 am

Peavy has an across the body throwing motion that is very stressful on his arm joints. That - coupled with the way he slings the ball is a recipe for potential problems.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pbeall100281 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:15 am

pbeall100281 wrote:

I don't buy Petco as a pitchers park like I do Dogers Stadium. Brian Giles being my main example.

A problem that will be fixed next year is the hitters black box, or hitters eye. Currently when facing a left hander the background is not green or black, but a set of stairs and fans wearing various colors. In addition to this I feel that hitters will become more adept to the park over time, as Giles and Klesko have. The short porches to right(322) and left (334) and max depth of 396 (center) shouldn't discourage home runs. Plus it's 367 to left-center, decent for righties. It's park factor currently sits at a low 0.820 but I forecast a noticeable jump in that next year.
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigBlue » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:16 am

Over-rated or not, I'll be drafting him. Albeit not in the 5th or 6th like some people will be drafting him in, but I'll be drafting him none the less. He's always had his mid-90's fastball. The thing that has him going right now is his pitch control. He's able to locate his fastball and curve better than he has before. Also, due to the surgery he was forced to change his mechanics....... If you look at his games this year as compared to 2003 and 2004, you'll se his motion isn't as drastic as it once was. There by taking on alot less stress!
BigBlue
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 17)

Postby pbeall100281 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:19 am

I don't think he was bashing.

Pitchers like K. Brown, R. Oswalt and I guess, J. Peavy are at more risk than the average SP, due to the different areas thier motion put stress on. Want to get technical? My brother used to throw in the high 90's and was offered a contract with the Giants, before his Kevin Brown-like pitching motion messed up his rotator cuff.
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers