Is Bonds pretty much a lock to break Aaron's record? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Bonds pretty much a lock to break Aaron's record?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pablo975 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:27 pm

My point was that Wagner is not memorable to the casual fan, where Ruth is one of the 5 most recognized faces on Planet Earth.

I agree, anyone considering themselves a baseball fan should know Wagner, but I was refering to the Joe Schmoes on the street. Wagner is a nobody to them. They'll know Neon Dieon before they know true legendary players.

And I was taking that kind of recognition, fame, awards, etc, into account on my list.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:01 pm

Pablo975 wrote:My point was that Wagner is not memorable to the casual fan, where Ruth is one of the 5 most recognized faces on Planet Earth.

I agree, anyone considering themselves a baseball fan should know Wagner, but I was refering to the Joe Schmoes on the street. Wagner is a nobody to them. They'll know Neon Dieon before they know true legendary players.

And I was taking that kind of recognition, fame, awards, etc, into account on my list.

I doubt Babe Ruth is one of the five most recognized faces on earth. Go to China or Africa and show them a picture of Babe Ruth. I very much doubt they would recognize him. We tend to think that because WE know who Babe Ruth is that that means everyone else in the world does. This is not true. The only other country where he might be recognizable would be Japan. Ruth traveled to Japan in the 1930s.

It is true that the "casual" fan doesn't know Wagner but the casual fans doesn't really know Ruth either. Oh, they've heard the name and might recognize his face but ask them simple questions about his career (when did he play? what teams did he play for? what is he famous for?) and they wouldn't know.

The reason that Wagner is not known today is because he played in the time of no TV, no film, and the baseball media was still very much in its infancy. When Ruth came along 20 years later the media world was much more advanced. There is no film of Wagner playing at all that I am aware of.

When you get a chance you might want to check out Wagner's career. He was truly an amazing player, easily one of the five greatest. ;-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pablo975 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:42 pm

Well according to a research report I saw years ago, the 5 most recognized faces on earth are:

5. Babe Ruth
4. Michael Jordan
3. Superman
2. Jesus
1. Mickey Mouse

Now, who the hell actually performed that research or for what purpose, I dunno. Hell, I don't even remember where I saw it. I will say that you would be completely surprised to know that the rest of the world knows QUITE a bit about our famous faces.

In 1993, I was stuck in downtown Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and got a ride from a man listening to Mary J Blige, Apache, Nirvana, etc, and asking me all about baseball and basketball.

Course, he confirmed that Joyner was better than Hamelin.

:-D

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Tavish » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:43 pm

Pablo975 wrote:Course, he confirmed that Joyner was better than Hamelin.

:-D

Never take a Saudi's word for it when it comes to Hamelin. There is starvation in Saudi Arabi because of Hamelin, so of course they hate the guy. ;-)

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby Zito is God » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:19 pm

Britney Spears top the list, her mug over Ruth's would be recodnized anywhere! :-D

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby so0perspam » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:23 pm

Zito is God wrote:Britney Spears top the list, her mug over Ruth's would be recodnized anywhere! :-D

Hahaha. :-b
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers