Is Bonds pretty much a lock to break Aaron's record? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Bonds pretty much a lock to break Aaron's record?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:43 pm

Ya'll need to stop poking fun at Hammerin' Hamelin. He wasn't the first career to be destroyed by a Burger King addiction and he won't be the last.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:48 pm

Hey, Bartolo Colon worked through it, so did Ponson to an extent. He has no excuse :-b

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:10 pm

LBJackal wrote:Hey, Bartolo Colon worked through it, so did Ponson to an extent. He has no excuse :-b

Players today are lucky though. The Hammer was young and naive, a product of the times. His destruction came before today's health conscious menus and the life-saving guidance of Jared. A salad a day for the Hammer over a Double Whopper with cheese could have changed the course of baseball history. ;-)

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:56 pm

I'm not going to go through all 7 pages of this thread, but let me just tell you all what Hank Aaron has to say about Bonds:

"Barry is the greatest hitter of all time. Period."

;-D

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:06 pm

TownDrunk wrote:I'm not going to go through all 7 pages of this thread, but let me just tell you all what Hank Aaron has to say about Bonds:

"Barry is the greatest hitter of all time. Period."

;-D

If you say so. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:02 pm

No, I didn't say so, Hank Aaron did.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:14 pm

TownDrunk wrote:No, I didn't say so, Hank Aaron did.

I know. I don't really care what Aaron says in this instance, either. IMHO, Bonds in certainly top 5 all-time but putting him at the top right now is premature.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby LCBOY » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:06 pm

Pablo975 wrote:My two cents:

The Top 5 All Time Greatest PLAYERS (total contributions of bat, arm, legs, and glove, awards, championships, fame (or infamy), all around studliness, etc)

1. Babe Ruth
2. Barry Bonds
3. Ty Cobb
4. Ted Williams
5. tie - Hank Aaron & Willie Mays

The Top 5 All Time Greatest HITTERS (Just the bats)

1. Babe Ruth
2. Barry Bonds
3. Ted Williams
4. Hank Aaron
5. Willie Mays

I also think that to compare Ruth, Bonds, Aaron, Williams, Mays, etc, is a waste of time. People are different, times are different.

What if Williams hadn't had military service?

What if Ruth hadn't drank, smoked, and whored 24/7?

What if Aaron had played on better teams?

What if Cobb hadn't been such an evil prick?

What if Bonds had had more lineup protection?

What if the old timers had faced tons of Latino/Black/Asian players and Bonds had NOT?

All, impossible to predict, extrapolate, or guess at. So....I leave it alone. I think the differences between all these players are so minute, or are sooo uncomparable, that they don't really bear debating. They're all legendary players who will stand the test of time and it all boils down to being nickel and dime differences. They're all the upper crust of baseball history.

But Wally Joyner is still better than all of them combined.

:)

Were's Honus Wagner on your list?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pablo975 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:02 pm

Well, Honus couldn't carry Wally Joyners' jock, so I left him off.

:)

That probably was a gafe on my part not to include him in some way. Wagner was a stud in his prime. But then again, I left Shoeless Joe Jackson out too. It was just MY list....my opinion....nothing else.

Actually, I think Honus' biggest problem with modern fans, like me, is that he was really good....but not memorable. If not for that tobacco card, most folks wouldn't know who he was.

Babe was the Babe, Cobb was a prick and it helped make him famous (along with those couple of hits he got), but Wagner....no one remembers.

And Wally Joyner beats Hamelin out cause Wally took the time to help me tape up my gashed up elbow after a charity baseball game a couple of years ago. Totally a cool guy.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Tavish » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:12 pm

Pablo975 wrote:That probably was a gafe on my part not to include him in some way. Wagner was a stud in his prime. But then again, I left Shoeless Joe Jackson out too. It was just MY list....my opinion....nothing else.

Actually, I think Honus' biggest problem with modern fans, like me, is that he was really good....but not memorable. If not for that tobacco card, most folks wouldn't know who he was.

Babe was the Babe, Cobb was a prick, but Wagner....no one remembers.

Eh? I think anyone who has any interest in baseball history knows who Wagner is. It wasn't exactly like he was really good, he was the absolute best of his generation. I guess you need a movie to be named after you to be great anymore.

I'm not trying to knock your opinion, everyone has their own rhyme and reason when it comes to baseball. I think you might want to read up some on Wagner though before you say he isn't memorable.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers