Gustavo Chacin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gustavo Chacin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gustavo Chacin

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:43 pm

Called up from AA - gets his first MLB start in Yankee stadium and wins!

7 IP 3 Hits 2 ER Win

Very nice.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:55 pm

Maybe another Santana in the making? He's from Venezuela also.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Registered_Guest » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:11 pm

Doesn't have the strikeout ability of Santana, but #'s similar to Lilly's 2004 numbers are possible for next year.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stomperrob » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:48 am

Very impressive start - his numbers in the minors were pretty good this year, definitely someone to watch next year - heck, I'd even grab him this year if he gets another start during my playoff run and Yahoo adds him.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:14 am

Anyone with some inside info on him? I'm usually pretty up on all the prospects, but I don't know anything about this guy. Apparently prior to this season, his numbers were rather mediocre and he was never really much of a prospect.

To have such a good season in the minors and to debut so well against the Yankees of all teams definitely has to grab some attention. Is he just having some kind of magical season, or has he really found some untapped potential?

By the way, Johan Santana was no instant success, never really having any great minor league seasons, so you definitely have to watch guys like this.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:52 pm

Be careful when putting this guy on a pedastle. Veteran teams like the Yanks and Sox always seem to struggle against rookies they have never seen. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:37 pm

I agree....... I don't think he'll be much of a pitcher. He had a nice season, but he doesn't get K's (letting big league hitters put the ball in play is a LOT different then doing so with hitters in AA) and he doesn't have a long track record. To say he'll have a season like Lilly is WAY overestimating him IMO. Lilly's had an awesome year, and next year I don't even see this guy having a rotation spot for more than a month total..... unless our SP's are REALLY bad. Whch is quite possible :~(

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:21 pm

I agree with the last 2 posts.

He doesn't have overpowering stuff. I watched his game and he tops out a little over 90 and gets away with a cut fastball. He relies on control. I don't recall, but he only had a few SO vs the Yanks who didn't seem to have a good scouting report on him.

This is somebody that the league can catch up to or he could lose his control. But I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:04 pm

Through a little checking all I didn't find out much, except that he's riding an incredible hot streak since about sometime in June. He also has apparently developed a nasty cutter this season that scouts rate pretty well and right hand batters struggle with and he's improved his control. The cutter is something he never had before this season, which was his 5th in AA. He's been around for a while, but he's still only 23.

From the looks of things he might be able to be a pretty solid major leaguer, assuming he can keep his control going well. However, I don't think I'm putting him near the top of any of my keeper lists.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers